The Student Room Group

Should I buy a car?

I am 17 years old and I was struggling with nerves a bit when learning to drive. We had to push my test back from this June to this September. The nerve problem is fixed now I think, because I have had plenty of practice on a scooter/ semi-automatic motorbike going to and from school every day. I still want to pass my test, and I think I will, but I would be happy to just own bikes. The problem is that in the winter, I am not sure if I will be able to keep riding due to the weather, but I won't be able to save up enough money for a car in that time. Additionally, I have been learning in a very modern diesel car, and any car which I could afford would obviously be much older. I have tried driving an older car and I really struggled with it, so I don't know if I should get an old car for the winter or persevere on the bike. Can anyone offer advice?
Reply 1
Petrol cars are very user friendly. Try a Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1 or Toyota Aygo - or a Hyundai i10 - cheap and cheerful and low insurance.

They are fun and easy to drive and are very very economical on fuel. They go like a rocket once they have built their speed up, but can be flimsy in a crash and easy to write off. So take care and drive like your Granny.

INSURANCE
Weigh up the costs of insurance (it can be huge) against no insurance and no car - it will be cheap now because you are supervised on a provisional licence but after you pass your test it will sky rocket (because there is no one sat at the side of you saying 'slow down' or 'don't go') It will be the cost of a student trip around the world!!

It may be better for your parents to own the car and for them to keep the yearly insurance. If your parents are careful low risk good NCB drivers you are onto a good thing. You can be a named driver permanently or on an ad hoc basis. Some insurance companies allow three temporary bursts of insurance for you every policy year (at a cost) (Try insurers like Marmalade or Adrian Flux for the short term insurance) The car has to have a policy of insurance against it underlying your temporary ad hoc use otherwise it will need to be off road and SORN'd if you are not using it. Then you have to be careful that your insurer does not charge for mid term adjustments (admin charges) for adding you on each time you want to drive (that can be £30 to £40 each time an amendment is made). Although it is expensive sometimes it is easier to be named driver on a yearly policy. Some insurers do allow you to claim your own No Claims Bonus (NCB) as a named driver (as they are keen to keep low risk insured drivers if you don't crash)

I am not even mentioning 'black box' style insurance here. It can be very expensive to change insurer (or some insurance companies to have the box removed) or have signal problems.

** This is important - Be honest about the info you give ie who is the main user (which you still can be even as a named driver) and also of where it is kept overnight. Then weigh up how much mileage you will do and the likely costs of servicing, tyres etc Tax on an Aygo is very cheap.

Consider all your options - Friends with cars for lifts, trains, buses, taxi's and the numbers of return journeys you are likely to make. Then pit this against the costs of owning and running a car.

Finally - You are more than likely to crash after passing your test in the first year. Be warned. Drive slowly and carefully with P Plates. This is because your confidence level far exceeds your ability level.
Original post by 176253
I am 17 years old and I was struggling with nerves a bit when learning to drive. We had to push my test back from this June to this September. The nerve problem is fixed now I think, because I have had plenty of practice on a scooter/ semi-automatic motorbike going to and from school every day. I still want to pass my test, and I think I will, but I would be happy to just own bikes. The problem is that in the winter, I am not sure if I will be able to keep riding due to the weather, but I won't be able to save up enough money for a car in that time. Additionally, I have been learning in a very modern diesel car, and any car which I could afford would obviously be much older. I have tried driving an older car and I really struggled with it, so I don't know if I should get an old car for the winter or persevere on the bike. Can anyone offer advice?

Id wait and save up a bit more before getting a car. Keep your bike until then.
As well as buying the car, you will have to insure the car, tax, mot, petrol. Save up a bit first.
I know you will have your bike over the winter. But it is do able. Lots of others have bikes. And if the worst comes to the worst you could get a lift/the bus etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending