The Student Room Group

Couple fined £100 by hotel...

...for leaving a bad Trip Advisor review.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30100973

Well, they might have got themselves an extra £100, but I daresay not many people will be willing to stay there for a while after this. On the other hand, considering the "Terrible" ratings the hotel has, they'll be raking it in for a long time to come.

So whaddya think? Should hotels be allowed to stipulate this? Is it even a worthwhile idea?

I think they should but they should be way more up front about it, like a clear notice on the website, or at the checkout stage if it's booked from a third party website. No idea why you would want to make such a rule though.
According to this article which I was just reading, the hotel has now stopped this policy after being spoken to by the local councillor.

It was certainly a controversial policy that raised questions surrounding trading standards. Whilst it was in the terms and conditions of staying at the hotel, I don't think this kind of stipulation should be allowed in trading standards. It seems to be a very poorly ranked hotel, so obviously they were just looking for ways to boost their reputation, as well as getting some monetary gain alongside.
Reply 2
Yeah, I found this pretty outrageous tbh, the fact it was in the terms & conditions I'd say is irrelevant, it shouldn't be there in first place. How about instead of having a ridiculous, unfair and dishonest policy used to gain more money and deceive potential future guests, they actually look to try and sort themselves out and improve the standards of the hotel!
Reply 3
depends if its slander or not I suppose...
Original post by DErasmus
depends if its slander or not I suppose...

In any event, it isn't the hotel owner's place to levy a penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I am just back from Blackpool and the place I stayed in was worse than the sounds of the hotel this couple stayed in. Pretty shocking that the hotel would even consider fining people for writing a bad review.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
I am just back from Blackpool and the place I stayed in was worse than the sounds of the hotel this couple stayed in. Pretty shocking that the hotel would even consider fining people for writing a bad review.
Posted from TSR Mobile

How could it be...​worse?!
I read that some hotels are sick of customers threatening to leave a bad review unless they're given a discount. The system is open to abuse. I did think it was shocking that the hotel actively said they'd fine people for exercising their right to freedom of speech. Call a spade a spade. As a customer, if it's a bad place, why wouldn't you want to tell other people the truth? With the power of the internet and social media to spread a good or bad message to many people, good customer service and standards are more important now than ever.
Reply 8
Simple freedom of contract; they'll know next time to pay more attention to the terms when they book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Simple freedom of contract; they'll know next time to pay more attention to the terms when they book

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read somewhere it would take you something insane like twenty years to read through the ts and cs of every contract you enter in to. Something that important or out of the ordinary needs flagging, with a pretty large and bold font.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wade-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Freedom of contract doesn't enable exploitation, according to trading standards. This was argued, and the hotel immediately backed down and removed the clause from their T&Cs.
Reply 11
Original post by Reluire
Freedom of contract doesn't enable exploitation, according to trading standards. This was argued, and the hotel immediately backed down and removed the clause from their T&Cs.

I don't see it as exploitation and the fact that trading standards coerced them into backing down is stupid; they didn't break any law, the couple willingly agreed to the terms and now they don't like them they want to argue. It sets a worrying precedent to allow people enter into contracts and then argue that a term is unjust

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
I don't see it as exploitation and the fact that trading standards coerced them into backing down is stupid; they didn't break any law, the couple willingly agreed to the terms and now they don't like them they want to argue. It sets a worrying precedent to allow people enter into contracts and then argue that a term is unjust

I think the precedent has already been set and I don't think it is worrying. The most common and recent example being PPI mis-selling.

The PPI scandal is full of cases where people are now saying that the terms of a contract were unfair - and in most instances, they are right and get their money back.

I think it is a pretty well established principle that onerous or unusual terms ought to be flagged. Lawyers in the room will remember the 'red hand rule' Lord Denning came up with years back.
Reply 13
Original post by InnerTemple
I think the precedent has already been set and I don't think it is worrying. The most common and recent example being PPI mis-selling.

The PPI scandal is full of cases where people are now saying that the terms of a contract were unfair - and in most instances, they are right and get their money back.

I think it is a pretty well established principle that onerous or unusual terms ought to be flagged. Lawyers in the room will remember the 'red hand rule' Lord Denning came up with years back.

PPI is, in my view, different as I am to the belief it should be created by a separate contract. The red hand rule is simply a guideline and not a binding principle. I have a fundamental disagreement with it simply because people should be free to create a contract with almost any terms they wish unless there is no alternative. Like I said before the idea that you can agree to a contract and then try to rescind a term is a worrying idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PecurringRattern
How could it be...​worse?!

Their hotel was rated #856 out 895 hotels in Blackpool and the one I stayed in was #866 (York Street Hotel). I knew for the price it would be a dump but I was willing to deal with it for a few days cause I am usually quite easy going but the room was tiny and the carpets were damp with what smelled like piss. The beds were rock solid and the pillow had fag burns in it and the covers were paper thing so we had to buy air beds just so we could actually sleep. The street we stayed in was full of about 40 B&Bs, hostels and guesthouses so there was constant noise and people fighting outside. There was black mold on the walls and the front door downstairs was never locked so drunken randomers would walk in and start banging on peoples doors and also the shared toilet was as minging as you can imagine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending