The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics A levels

So as some of you will be aware, A levels are changing starting autumn 2015 (there is no such thing as AS and A2 anymore - except maths. So all A levels are examined at the end of year 13 But you can still do an AS in one subject). I am in year 11, so now picking my a levels. I am thinking of doing bio, chem, maths and physics. I would most likely be dropping physics and carrying on with the other three. Would this be a good idea? Would the work load be too much? Has anyone done these combinations?
I may be wrong but I'm sure I remember someone saying not to pick those 4 (unless you really REALLY want to) as it doesn't show a range of interests plus I imagine that even under the new A levels the work will be crippling.
I do biol, chem and maths A-level and I think it's a good combination, I like it.
I do that combination now under the current system, and am absolutely loving it. It's quite a lot of work, but manageable if you want to do it, and you have the ability. If you're getting consistent A-A* (the majority A*) then it's definitely achievable. If not, you may have to work harder, but you can still do it.

Do you know what you want to do when you leave school?

If you don't know what you want to do, I'd advising picking a wider range of subjects. If you definitely want to go into a science subject, then it's a good combination. But my only advice is you have to love science. You have to enjoy understanding more and thinking more deeply about it, because if you don't, you won't have the motivation to listen and concentrate more. So pick it if you love it, but not if you think it's just an okay combination.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
AS was scrapped? I'd only do 3 and if you want a fourth take a literate subject.
Reply 5
I do really love science, my strongest is biology but I love physics the most. I just don't want to find it a struggle. How big was the jump between the subjects from GCSE?
I also do further maths gcse and further additional science (triple science) gcse so I don't know if those will help?
Original post by Bhavii
I do really love science, my strongest is biology but I love physics the most. I just don't want to find it a struggle. How big was the jump between the subjects from GCSE?
I also do further maths gcse and further additional science (triple science) gcse so I don't know if those will help?

To be honest, it just depends on your personal strengths.

I don't really see much point in asking on here, since the responses will just depend on who happens to click on the thread. Obviously plenty of people do that combination and do well in it every year. Equally, other people would struggle with it.

Quick Reply

Latest