The Student Room Group

An Archaeology splinter sub-sub-forum

Scroll to see replies

congratulations elyim!!

Durham is indeed an excellent university. Chester is a little similar as in its a generic first year, I did 2 history modules as part of the course so all is not lost.

Congrats to others as well, if they get what they wanted.
Reply 201
Huzzah for Durham :smile:
Even if my college don't want me anymore and have sent me to St. Aidan's instead.
and well done Elyim, at least you are at Durham. It could be a lot worse. :smile:
Reply 202
I started work at Sutton Hoo today. It's so different working at a Museum which operates much closer and in tandem with British Museum Directives (as stringent and odd as some of them are). Plus, I've never worked in a Museum that gets so busy, which makes a change.
Reply 203
well i didnt get into my first choice which was sheffield but i did get into my second choice, bradord, huzzah =]
Reply 204
Wahey! Archaeology and English Literature in Queen's Belfast :smile: I'm so excited...
Reply 205
Good luck starting on your courses, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic adventure.

I've got all of my course books piled in a rather precarious stack and I can't wait. One year is too, too long.
Catsmeat
I started work at Sutton Hoo today. It's so different working at a Museum which operates much closer and in tandem with British Museum Directives (as stringent and odd as some of them are). Plus, I've never worked in a Museum that gets so busy, which makes a change.

You are living my dream, you better enjoy it mister :wink:

Im back from Germany now :frown: but on the plus side, theres the new term starting in 4 weeks, and im moving back to uni in two/three :party:
Ooohh, I'm starting a degree in Archaeology at Exeter this October and I've just been looking through this thread, and now I'm getting really excited. It's going to be so good to finally get some proper experience under my belt, and hearing everyone's stories on here is certainly whetting my appetite. Can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 208
Do you know of any particular fieldwork oppertunities that Exeter offers? I'd be interested to see where each respective University sends its students...

I'm actually going to compile a useful list of websites for volunteering/fieldwork oppertunities at some point. Please send me some suggestions if you have any...

(http://www.ilovethepast.com is always the best place to start, by the way)
Reply 209
Magickal_Faerie
You are living my dream, you better enjoy it mister :wink:

Im back from Germany now :frown: but on the plus side, theres the new term starting in 4 weeks, and im moving back to uni in two/three :party:

It's great fun, don't get me wrong there! Plus we have quizzes, stickers and great soup in the restaurant.

(I'm particuarly proud of my "Trusty the Hedgehog" sticker)

Did you have a good time in Germany? I would have loved to spend such a long chunk of time digging, so you can imagine that I can't wait until Easter time when there's some oppertunities through the Dept. to get some more, direct, archaeological experience.
Reply 210
Yay I'm off to Sheffield to study archaeology soon! Sooooooooo excited!
Catsmeat
It's great fun, don't get me wrong there! Plus we have quizzes, stickers and great soup in the restaurant.

(I'm particuarly proud of my "Trusty the Hedgehog" sticker)

Did you have a good time in Germany? I would have loved to spend such a long chunk of time digging, so you can imagine that I can't wait until Easter time when there's some oppertunities through the Dept. to get some more, direct, archaeological experience.

oooo stickers! woooo yay!!

Aye Germany was good, did a bit of excavating, levelling, drawing and finds washing! I think I did nearly a bit of everything, and its all new to me so all is good :smile: I just didnt want to come home, I really got friendly with the people there, including the German site 'chiefs' :p: and learnt some german too. Awww, Easter isnt too far away, dont you be worrying, it'll be great fun!!

Looking forward to getting back to uni then?
Reply 212
Magickal_Faerie
oooo stickers! woooo yay!!

Aye Germany was good, did a bit of excavating, levelling, drawing and finds washing! I think I did nearly a bit of everything, and its all new to me so all is good :smile: I just didnt want to come home, I really got friendly with the people there, including the German site 'chiefs' :p: and learnt some german too. Awww, Easter isnt too far away, dont you be worrying, it'll be great fun!!

Looking forward to getting back to uni then?

Sounds good :smile:. There is an ongoing project in the middle east at the moment which is being run by Neil Faulkner (very thin, large t-shirts tucked into yet tighter jeans) concentrating on the archaeology of 'Lawrence of Arabia' and the WWI campaigns in the region. It's a bit of a cost, but I'd love to go out there because they're essentially working with very little precedence on how to dig on such massive, archaeologicaly low impact sites.

If I can find an article I'll post it here.

It's not a case of 'getting back' to University but starting :smile:.

Welcome new members;

hwyaden and TiltsAtWindmills.

I'm putting together an archaeology section on the wiki, so have a look through when it's up and pick some holes in it please :smile:.
will do indeedy :smile:

I thought you'd already been to uni :redface: sorry :redface:

you know more about archaeology than i do! :p:
Reply 214
Magickal_Faerie
will do indeedy :smile:

I thought you'd already been to uni :redface: sorry :redface:

you know more about archaeology than i do! :p:

I am sure I don't!
Catsmeat
I am sure I don't!

You have more 'hands on' experience than I do I think. I've had six continuous weeks of excavation experience and a weeks worth of field surveying.

Apart from the fact you sound more intelligent than me anyway :p:

Are you older than me? *goes to check*

[edit] nope, you are the same age as me :five: but gapping. i wish i'd gapped :frown:
Reply 216
Magickal_Faerie
You have more 'hands on' experience than I do I think. I've had six continuous weeks of excavation experience and a weeks worth of field surveying.

Apart from the fact you sound more intelligent than me anyway :p:

Are you older than me? *goes to check*

[edit] nope, you are the same age as me :five: but gapping. i wish i'd gapped :frown:

You've deffinately had more experience than me, then. I've been on two digs but the cumulative number of days don't add up to anything near six weeks :|.

Gapping was actually a good idea for University applications and in terms of work (I've been working with a Museums service), yet I did get quite bored with my friends all being at University whilst I was stuck in the same old town. I wish I'd gone travelling, in a way.
Catsmeat
You've deffinately had more experience than me, then. I've been on two digs but the cumulative number of days don't add up to anything near six weeks :|.

Gapping was actually a good idea for University applications and in terms of work (I've been working with a Museums service), yet I did get quite bored with my friends all being at University whilst I was stuck in the same old town. I wish I'd gone travelling, in a way.

Although you've had experience of working on two different sites under different people. And you've been taught the english way of doing things, whereas I've been taught the German way. I dont think it'll be that differnet, but in Europe they colour in their profile drawings. Hmm. I guess its a circular thing. Ah well. I'm back at uni at the mo, but going home again tomorrow, to get more stuff. I cant wait for lectures to start again!! Wheeeeeeeeee!!!
Reply 218
Magickal_Faerie
Although you've had experience of working on two different sites under different people. And you've been taught the english way of doing things, whereas I've been taught the German way. I dont think it'll be that differnet, but in Europe they colour in their profile drawings. Hmm. I guess its a circular thing. Ah well. I'm back at uni at the mo, but going home again tomorrow, to get more stuff. I cant wait for lectures to start again!! Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

They were very different experiences, interestingly. One of them functioned both as a research unit (including the field school) and also practiced consultancy work whilst the other was primarily a local, research based group.

The second site was an old time-team one also, so we had access to their surveys :rolleyes:.

They colour them in? Blimey, how uncouth.

I tend to find that there is always an English way of doing things no matter what field you're working in. Anyway, I'm glad you're looking forward to it :smile: (as am I).
Catsmeat
They were very different experiences, interestingly. One of them functioned both as a research unit (including the field school) and also practiced consultancy work whilst the other was primarily a local, research based group.

The second site was an old time-team one also, so we had access to their surveys :rolleyes:.

They colour them in? Blimey, how uncouth.

I tend to find that there is always an English way of doing things no matter what field you're working in. Anyway, I'm glad you're looking forward to it :smile: (as am I).

Well you have experience, which will benefit you =] especially when you have the archaeological practice (or equivalent) you'll know all about it =]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending