The Student Room Group

Crashed my first car today, no idea what happens next. Anyone have any experience?

As the title suggests, i wrecked my first car today. I'm 19 and insurance was already expensive. i paid 1800 for the year up front and i had a black box fitted.

I was driving a Citroen C3 on country lanes and a range rover sport came out from a side road. i was speeding but she pulled out so i cant honestly say who's fault it is. I think my car could be repaired but i know the range rover cant be (the rear axel bent).

Has anyone on here written off a car before or been involved in a major accident?
What was the next steps? ive given information to my insurer but im just nervous about what they will say, what steps i need to take. What the best and worst outcomes are. What happens to all the money ive paid up front? Will i be able to get insurance again without it being more than 2K a year?

I'm still in shock about the accident really but more so nervous about what's next and weather or not ill be able to drive again before im 21 or before i dont have to declare this accident to an insurer which i think is 5 years.

Any experience you guys can share or personal stories (pref with a happy ending) would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trias1995
As the title suggests, i wrecked my first car today. I'm 19 and insurance was already expensive. i paid 1800 for the year up front and i had a black box fitted.

I was driving a Citroen C3 on country lanes and a range rover sport came out from a side road. i was speeding but she pulled out so i cant honestly say who's fault it is. I think my car could be repaired but i know the range rover cant be (the rear axel bent).

Has anyone on here written off a car before or been involved in a major accident?
What was the next steps? ive given information to my insurer but im just nervous about what they will say, what steps i need to take. What the best and worst outcomes are. What happens to all the money ive paid up front? Will i be able to get insurance again without it being more than 2K a year?

I'm still in shock about the accident really but more so nervous about what's next and weather or not ill be able to drive again before im 21 or before i dont have to declare this accident to an insurer which i think is 5 years.

Any experience you guys can share or personal stories (pref with a happy ending) would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Your black box will either save you or see your insurance sky rocket. If you were speeding, which the black box will prove, it is your fault entirely and your premiums will go up. If you weren't speeding and you have pictures of the scene to show where the other person pulled out you can claim because it was their fault.

Your insurer will get back to you and determine if you were driving dangerously or not.

A friend of mine was going within the speed limit and skidded on ice and flipped his car. His black box proved this and he got a pay out for it because it wasn't his fault. He now has a car that is about triple the cost of his first one. There's a nice story for you...
Reply 2
Man that is a nice story :') wouldn't mind a nicer car but st this point, I wouldn't mind my current one back. I was speeding because I found out the black box recognises that road as a 60 road when it's actually 30 so I tend to do a little more on there because I can but this time I fun goofed that up.

are there times where they go 50/50? We seem to think that yes it's partly my fault for speeding but at the same time it's hers for coming out. If I'm on a road, established on a road and I'm speeding, isn't that a separate issue, she shouldn't have pulled out? Honestly, I'm not sure if the blame on this one can be so easily laid to rest.

How long did your friends case take to be resolved?

Thanks again for sharing, I guess these black boxes do have a use :tongue:
Reply 3
Yep, i made a mistake and im not gonna sit here and defend what i did, i know i messed up and im the one that's now going to have to deal with the consequences.

The forum however was asking for experiences that others have had in a similar situation, how long the insurance companies take to place blame and then to act and sort things out. It wasn't created for you to throw your opinion in and tell me what i already know.

Trust me, i appreciate that i messed up and if i can get my car back or get a new one, i will have learnt from this situation however as of right now im simply trying to find information about how long these process's take and what's involved.
was it a 2014 range rover sport? so cool!
Reply 5
Yep, i made a mistake and im not gonna sit here and defend what i did, i know i messed up and im the one that's now going to have to deal with the consequences.

The forum however was asking for experiences that others have had in a similar situation, how long the insurance companies take to place blame and then to act and sort things out. It wasn't created for you to throw your opinion in and tell me what i already know.

Trust me, i appreciate that i messed up and if i can get my car back or get a new one, i will have learnt from this situation however as of right now im simply trying to find information about how long these process's take and what's involved.

Hence why I added the part about the case I helped with.
Since both sides disputed it had to go to court and took a few years.
Reply 6
Ive only just seen that but thank you.. thats a lot longer than i couldve imagined a claim would go on for :/
Reply 7
I remember reading on my previous black box company (different to yours) said that the data from the black box could never be used as evidence in a claim, so that may put your mind at ease. If this is true for your policy it would come as the other drivers fault?
Reply 8
I believe the black box insurance company I'm with will use black box data to defend you in a case where fault is not clear. If it doesn't then they will "put it aside" so to speak...
Reply 9
Original post by ak_93
I remember reading on my previous black box company said that the data from the black box could never be used as evidence in a claim, so that may put your mind at ease. If this is true for your policy it would come as the other drivers fault?

No because a police officer compared my skid marks to that of his car with him doing the speed limit, he stopped in just over 10 yards, mine were 23 yards long so it's obvious i was speeding but the more i look at the photos the more i know she was partly to blame. She was emerging from a junction on the left hand side of the road if you are facing down hill (she is facing uphill) and the damage is to thew front right of my car, as you can see from the picture, the damage to hers starts a fair way towards the front of the vehicle indicating that she was in fact obstructing my side of the road, effectively pulling out in front of me. She said it herself, she pulled out, saw me coming and panicked s she must have hesitated on my side of the road before trying to proceed to hers at which time it was too late and i had hit her.

Personally, i don't believe i am entirely at fault but i dont think she is either. Best case scenario is the insurance companies go 50/50 and my cover still stands.

EDIT: (pic removed)
(edited 9 years ago)
No because a police officer compared my skid marks to that of his car with him doing the speed limit, he stopped in just over 10 yards, mine were 23 yards long so it's obvious i was speeding but the more i look at the photos the more i know she was partly to blame. She was emerging from a junction on the left hand side of the road if you are facing down hill (she is facing uphill) and the damage is to thew front right of my car, as you can see from the picture, the damage to hers starts a fair way towards the front of the vehicle indicating that she was in fact obstructing my side of the road, effectively pulling out in front of me. She said it herself, she pulled out, saw me coming and panicked s she must have hesitated on my side of the road before trying to proceed to hers at which time it was too late and i had hit her.

Personally, i don't believe i am entirely at fault but i dont think she is either. Best case scenario is the insurance companies go 50/50 and my cover still stands.

I thought she pulled out into your side from the sound of OP, but this is a little worse!
This happened to my mum actually many years ago, she pulled out (in france) the same way (I think) and I think she was held to be at fault. Obviously speeding will reduce the % blame. It depends on how visible the junction was, and if you could reasonably have stopped in time - i.e. if you had seen her and braked at a normal speed and not hit her then presumably you would be to blame instead.
Just be lucky it wasn't worse, that kinda impact to driver's side could have been very instantly fatal.

Just a hint, I would delete the photo and this thread at some point soon. If it does go to court or any kind of legal action and this was found it could impact badly upon it.
FYI for future potential legal things, try not to talk about them online - this explains better (It's american, but same principles apply):
http://www.michiganautoaccidentinjuryadvocate.com/2013/08/15/facebook-harm-auto-accident-cas/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Everyone that stopped at the scene said that both of us were lucky that no one was injured and yeah ofc i am partly to blame but i dont believe i am fully to blame. One thing's for sure i'll be avoiding that road from now on and sticking to the main roads to get home :P
Everyone that stopped at the scene said that both of us were lucky that no one was injured and yeah ofc i am partly to blame but i dont believe i am fully to blame. One thing's for sure i'll be avoiding that road from now on and sticking to the main roads to get home :P

Put your details in a compare website and include that you previously made a claim that was your fault, then check the prices, that will be a rough estimate to how much your insurance may go up by
Reply 13
Funny you should mention that, i was doing just that last night. on compare the market, the cheapest quote was 5k PA. so i looked on money supermarket and this is with the claim where both parties are at fault, i found a quote for 1.4k per year... thats £100 cheaper than my current policy after the crash with the same company im already with ahahaha. Go figure..
Reply 14
If the policeman stopped in just over 10 yards and the distance between your car and the other car was at least this when they pulled out from the junction, you'll get the blame on the basis that if you were not speeding the accident wouldn't have happened.
Reply 15
Original post by Noble.
you'll get the blame on the basis that if you were not speeding the accident wouldn't have happened.

However she did pull out infront of me whilst i was established on a road. It's this that makes the case not so clear
Oh get off your ****ing high horses. The OP admitted he was speeding and hands down took responsibility for it. Not once did they try and play it off like it was nothing. If you claim you've never been a little heavy footed at some point, you're a downright liar.

Anyway,

Speeding won't go in your favour here OP. BUT she did pull out infront of you regardless. The "had you not been speeding the accident wouldn't have happened" comment is false. Your insurance company will respond with "had she not pulled out when the road wasn't clear, the accident wouldn't have happened."

There's a lot of factors obviously and we don't know them all, but if they pick up on the speeding aspect, it'll probably go from her fault, to join-fault.
Reply 17
Original post by ToastyCoke
Oh get off your ****ing high horses. The OP admitted he was speeding and hands down took responsibility for it. Not once did they try and play it off like it was nothing. If you claim you've never been a little heavy footed at some point, you're a downright liar.

Anyway,

Speeding won't go in your favour here OP. BUT she did pull out infront of you regardless. The "had you not been speeding the accident wouldn't have happened" comment is false. Your insurance company will respond with "had she not pulled out when the road wasn't clear, the accident wouldn't have happened."

There's a lot of factors obviously and we don't know them all, but if they pick up on the speeding aspect, it'll probably go from her fault, to join-fault.

My comment was not "had you not been speeding the accident wouldn't have happened". I importantly point out that if the other vehicle pulled out with sufficient distance to stop at, or under, the speed limit it's quite easy to sympathise with the other driver (who rightfully probably assumed the OP was driving at, or below, the speed limit). Plus, once one party has been found to be speeding insurance claims tend to go very one way.

Also, I don't know who your first comments were for, but I certainly wasn't trying to pretend I don't speed :rofl:
Original post by Noble.
My comment was not "had you not been speeding the accident wouldn't have happened". I importantly point out that if the other vehicle pulled out with sufficient distance to stop at, or under, the speed limit it's quite easy to sympathise with the other driver (who rightfully probably assumed the OP was driving at, or below, the speed limit). Plus, once one party has been found to be speeding insurance claims tend to go very one way.

Also, I don't know who your first comments were for, but I certainly wasn't trying to pretend I don't speed :rofl:

That doesn't matter. The other driver, if a competent driver, should not be pulling out when they aren't 100% sure it's safe to do so. They should have given themself a second or two to judge the OP's speed better.

That's nonsense. Speeding doesn't make claims go one way. It just makes the responsibility say 80:20 rather than 100% on one diver. That's like saying I could reverse onto a main road and hit another car, but as long as they're going 10 over the speed limit, I'm not at fault. Not if the OP was going 60 on a 30, the fault is more likely to be more on the OP and perhaps even points as that's not quite a little over the limit.
Reply 19
Original post by ToastyCoke
That doesn't matter. The other driver, if a competent driver, should not be pulling out when they aren't 100% sure it's safe to do so. They should have given themself a second or two to judge the OP's speed better.

That's nonsense. Speeding doesn't make claims go one way. It just makes the responsibility say 80:20 rather than 100% on one diver. That's like saying I could reverse onto a main road and hit another car, but as long as they're going 10 over the speed limit, I'm not at fault. Not if the OP was going 60 on a 30, the fault is more likely to be more on the OP and perhaps even points as that's not quite a little over the limit.

If we're talking about who really is to blame, I don't disagree with you. However, as soon as speeding comes into it, it seems to become quite easy for the insurance companies to decide who's to blame (I also didn't mean 100% on the speeding party when I said "tends to go one way").

Obviously we don't know the layout of the accident, but there are plenty of roads around here where if someone is doing closer to 60 instead of 30, it becomes a game of luck as to whether you're going to cut up a driver as you pull out, that factor alone would change the 'weight of blame' quite considerably, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending