The Student Room Group

Should I accept my unconditional offer or not?

I have applied to study a Business Management/Marketing course at 5 universities, with Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent being my personal favourites. 48 hours after sending my application off I found out that Hallam have offered me an unconditional offer if I pick them as my firm. Obviously I'm not looking to decide until I've heard from all universities, but providing the rest give me a conditional, should I go with Hallam? I'm pretty much 50/50 between Sheffield and Notts, so should I let the fact it is unconditional be the deciding factor in my choice? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
don't decide until after you've got all your offers, then you get time to decide which you want to accept as your firm etc
Original post by hmmrjx
I have applied to study a Business Management/Marketing course at 5 universities, with Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent being my personal favourites. 48 hours after sending my application off I found out that Hallam have offered me an unconditional offer if I pick them as my firm. Obviously I'm not looking to decide until I've heard from all universities, but providing the rest give me a conditional, should I go with Hallam? I'm pretty much 50/50 between Sheffield and Notts, so should I let the fact it is unconditional be the deciding factor in my choice? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why did you go for ex-polys only, out of interest?
Original post by hmmrjx

Depends if you think you could definitely get the grades for both or not. If you think you may not be able to meet the entry requirements then take the unconditional since you want to go there anyway. I personally wouldn't really let it effect my decision I would pick the one I most wanted to go to.
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Why did you go for ex-polys only, out of interest?

Ignore this question.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Ignore this question.

That is for the OP to decide, not you. Some ex-polys have very good departments (i.e. Notts Trent Law School).
That is for the OP to decide, not you. Some ex-polys have very good departments (i.e. Notts Trent Law School).

I was advising the OP not to answer.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I was advising the OP not to answer.

You jumped on the overprotective bandwagon far too soon. I was not poly bashing.
I was having the same dilemma, but my unconditional is unconditional even if I put it as my insurance (although I had to email them - Bournemouth - to find this out). It took a while for Bournemouth to get back to me, so I was pretty torn as to what to do because I got a conditional from where I really, really want to go (LJMU. To study forensics, btw).

My advice would be to ask current students of both universities what the university/city is like in general, and maybe even try and find students from each who study your course. You could post in the individual uni TSR forums to do this. Also, go through the course content and general course information (usually found on the universities website) to see which course you would prefer to study/which modules you would be most interested in.

Of course, it depends what the your grades and the entry grades are, but this is what I would (and did) do.:3
My brother studies business management at notts trent and he would really recommend it! It's a really nice uni, great facilities and lecture room :smile:
I'd say - if you wanted to go there anyway, accept. If it wasn't your favourite before, then don't take the offer just because you can screw up your exams - it's not worth it.
You jumped on the overprotective bandwagon far too soon. I was not poly bashing.

Never said you were.

Have a nice day now.
If you prefer it over the other unis, then go for it. But I'd wait until you've had offers from the others first.
where else has OP applied to apart from notts trent and Hallam
Original post by OliviaMarketing
I am almost in the exact same situation as you, I want to study Marketing and have got an unconditional from Sheffield Hallam if I make them my firm. The thing is that I slightly prefer Nottingham Trent and Lincoln. I want to put down Nottingham and Lincoln as my firm and insurance but don't want to find on results day that I didn't get into either.

I don't know what to suggest, just wanted to say you're not alone and good luck! :smile:

Hi Olivia,

If you preferred Lincoln and Nottingham Trent then you wouldn't really want to take yourself off the market by accepting the unconditional offer. I'd suggest talking to our admissions team on on 01522 886097 or by email at [email protected] and they should be able to advise on what the best options would be.

Hope this helps,

Georgia

(Lincoln Journalism graduate and Social Media Officer)
Original post by UniLincolnRep
Hi Olivia,

If you preferred Lincoln and Nottingham Trent then you wouldn't really want to take yourself off the market by accepting the unconditional offer. I'd suggest talking to our admissions team on on 01522 886097 or by email at [email protected] and they should be able to advise on what the best options would be.

Hope this helps,

Georgia

(Lincoln Journalism graduate and Social Media Officer)

True, thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending