The Student Room Group

Does student satisfaction matter?

If I do get all my offers, I am planning on studying Biochemistry at Warwick University. Although it seemed like a good university when I went to their open day and how its in the top 10 rank for the overall UK university league tables, its quite low for biosciences (around 20th). This is primarily due to the fact that its student satisfaction feedback is considerably lower than the other universities that offer biosciences.

What do you think?
Original post by SandyMan
If I do get all my offers, I am planning on studying Biochemistry at Warwick University. Although it seemed like a good university when I went to their open day and how its in the top 10 rank for the overall UK university league tables, its quite low for biosciences (around 20th). This is primarily due to the fact that its student satisfaction feedback is considerably lower than the other universities that offer biosciences.

What do you think?

I think there are a lot of flaws in the tables and the way statistics are gathered, so although I look at them myself I wouldn't put too much of a weight on any one factor that has scored low. You'd be better off asking people in the Warwick forums of their experiences with the course and if you find any who have been unsatisfied ask them why-it may be that the course/course content/teaching style wasn't right for them but would suit you well.
Reply 2
If I do get all my offers, I am planning on studying Biochemistry at oWarwick University. Although it seemed like a good university when I went to their open day and how its in the top 10 rank for the overall UK university league tables, its quite low for biosciences (around 20th). This is primarily due to the fact that its student satisfaction feedback is considerably lower than the other universities that offer biosciences.

What do you think?

Hello! I'm also doing biochemistry at uni next year.Student satisfaction is rated by the students who do the course them selves and it corresponds to whether they are happy with what that specific course offers. However, it's different for everyone I suppose, so I would keep it in mind. Have you decided what other places you'll be applying to?
Try out Whatuni.com, they have reviews by people on the course which should give you a bit more detail on why they like/dislike the course :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ruqia
Hello! I'm also doing biochemistry at uni next year.Student satisfaction is rated by the students who do the course them selves and it corresponds to whether they are happy with what that specific course offers. However, it's different for everyone I suppose, so I would keep it in mind. Have you decided what other places you'll be applying to?

Nottingham seems to be my other favourite choice

What do you think?

You can look at a breakdown for the student satisfaction for a course on unistats: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007163FT-U-C700/ReturnTo/Search

From that it looks like staff enthusiasm and the quality of feedback are a little weak.

Your best bet is to talk to the course leaders and current students about these areas and ask the staff what they're doing about it (the results are only based on 40 students so for the enthusiasm questions only 5/40 didn't agree with the statements so it might be just a handful of grumpy students in one year) and the students about whether they think things are good/bad around the feedback they get on their course and how keen/enthusiastic/interesting the staff seem in teaching.

In league tables the NSS results for this course will get grouped together with other biological sciences to perform the ranking - it looks like the biology (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007163FT-U-C100/ReturnTo/Search ) and biomed (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007163FT-U-C1B9/ReturnTo/Search ) students have more issues with the staff and feedback than the biochemistry students.(and 110 students answered the survey for biomed so their dissatisfaction will overwhelm the 40 biochem responses)
It's important, but as a statistic it's difficult to rely on. You're best off speaking to people who do the course.
Reply 7
Even Unis in top 10 have not so good student satisfaction for particular courses as i was looking at a top 10 uni and gave that up as a choice due to the low student feedback on a course which was backed up by a student who had just completed his first year and starting his 2nd year.

It was correct as per the unistats data as he did say it was due to lack of feedback and placements issues but then he also said it was the first time they took on more students for that course and under estimated the outcome hence the reason with low student satisfaction so it can go either way.

I deceided not to take the risk in case they had the same issue again next year yet low ranking unis say over 50 had very high student satisfaction for the same course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending