The Student Room Group

How important is it for a guy to be physically strong?

I mean I'm not really that well built or strong, about 5ft10 & not very muscly, although that could be changed if I started going to the gym. I don't like violence anyway, but it would be important in like self-defence cases or if I had to protect someone. I mean even if I work out there'll still be other guys stronger than me, I've heard people say I'm friendly & nice at least lol but yeah how important is it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Multitalented me
I mean I'm not really that well built or strong, about 5ft10 & not very muscly, although that could be changed if I started going to the gym. I don't like violence anyway, but it would be important in like self-defence cases or if I had to protect someone. I mean even if I work out there'll still be other guys stronger than me, I've heard people say I'm friendly & nice at least lol but yeah how important is it? :smile:

Its quite important. Being strong brings you a lot of confidence. And a lot of confidence (if used in the right way) gives you a much happier live..
obvs important, you're meant to be a man

hit the gym, mirin those gains, chicks will come flying if your aethetics are 7/10+
Original post by Multitalented me

Do not, by any means, let it define you. Yes exercise is proven to help your mental state etc. raising your serotonin levels. But your slight lack of muscle cannot take those 'friendly and nice' qualities away from you and your personality.
Then again, if you want to live up to your account name of Multitalented me, working out might help. If you know what I mean.
Generally speaking, not very until the day you have to move a sofa or open a jam jar.
Original post by Vixen47
Generally speaking, not very until the day you have to move a sofa or open a jam jar.

That's really throwing down the gauntlet, asking to open a stiff jar. Time to whip out the tea towel and sort the boys from the men.
Original post by Dr Pesto
That's really throwing down the gauntlet, asking to open a stiff jar. Time to whip out the tea towel and sort the boys from the men.

I have high standards. Either do it with your bare hands like a real man or don't do it at all. :pierre:
Once you get a bit if money, it is far easier to pay some meathead to do any tasks that require strength.
Really not that important, especially if he dresses well, has a nice face and is intelligent kind and artistic or musical in some way. to be fair you can easily get away with being a skinny bugger so long as you're in a band... It's a look. or so I've observed. If you hate lifting (understandably) just cultivate yourself in some other way, learn a musical instrument and you'll be raking in the girls
I think it's important for anybody, man or woman, to be physically strong. If you're physically strong your in a better position to be helpful or useful in a physical situation that calls for it, also all that exercise helps keep the rest of your body a bit healthier and fitter.

When I see someone who is very skinny and physically weak not as a result of illness but because they like how it makes them look or they just can't be bothered to work out a little I feel they're putting themselves at a massive disadvantage, like wearing high heels you can't run in, or wearing skinny jeans that you can't even raise your knee above your waist in. You just never know when you will need maximum flexibility and to be at your strongest and it's good to be prepared.

I don't think it's that hard, it helps just to do some general home exercises and buy some weights for using in the house to keep your muscles in good condition and stop them wasting. I don't think anyone needs to do a full workout at the gym if it's not convenient or they lack the time but I do think people need at least some strength exercises just to maintain good condition or improve on weaknesses.

Of course it's anyone's choice if they want to or not, I just feel people are self-inflicting themselves a handicap when they let their muscles atrophy to the point of becoming weak.
Reply 10
Im not that strong but I'm an incredible fighter so I'm not bothered, I've always been handy with my fists even as a young child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my opinion it's as important for guys as it is for girls. It gives you the ability of self defence and even allows you to do more career or hobby-wise.
Not at all.
Reply 13
Original post by patrickburski
In my opinion it's as important for guys as it is for girls. It gives you the ability of self defence and even allows you to do more career or hobby-wise.

how? I've taken down henchmen who couldn't fight to save their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Vixen47

You don't even have to be strong for opening jars.. I'm slim but i can open all of them for my mum quite easily :lol:
Original post by MrMango
Im not that strong but I'm an incredible fighter so I'm not bothered, I've always been handy with my fists even as a young child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you automatically think of fighting? I don't think that's a specific trate a woman look for in a man...

Calm down son.
Reply 16
Original post by C_tinie_D
Why do you automatically think of fighting? I don't think that's a specific trate a woman look for in a man...

Calm down son.

because people were saying being strong is important for self-defence... read previous posts before commenting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
because people were saying being strong is important for self-defence... read previous posts before commenting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you could quote a post that talks about self defence before yours that would be great...
Reply 18
Original post by C_tinie_D
If you could quote a post that talks about self defence before yours that would be great...

Original post by patrickburski

there you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango

Yeah that was AFTER your intial post, never mind.

Quick Reply

Latest