The Student Room Group

Is doing an EPQ worth it?

I'm going into year 12 taking maths, further maths, history and economics. I'm possibly thinking of doing computer science at university. I was wondering if an EPQ is too much work alongside these A levels? I mainly want to do it to learn how to independent research and proper referencing, not to lower my uni offer
In simple terms, if you think you can handle the workload, it may be beneficial to you, if you think it will hold you back, its better to focus on getting a strong set of A levels
If you can balance 3 A-levels and an EPQ, then go for it. Might even get a reduced uni offer. But it's not necessary to do, so it really depends on you.
I did know a guy do French, Latin, Maths + FM with an EPQ, but he's always been very talented and will now be going to Oxford. It's doable if you have very good time management.

I would say if you're going for Oxbridge it's definitely worth it because it gives you something to talk about at interview. Apart from that, it really does just provide some skills you'll want for uni, and I've heard mixed opinions about whether that's worth it.
I did Maths, physics, computer science, Geography and epq. If you can get the epq done mostly in the first year and over the summer than its definitely worth doing. I kind of enjoyed it as a break from all my other subjects in a weird way lol
Original post by CaitlinDeCat
I did Maths, physics, computer science, Geography and epq. If you can get the epq done mostly in the first year and over the summer than its definitely worth doing. I kind of enjoyed it as a break from all my other subjects in a weird way lol

Yea similarly I took Further maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A levels (also known as a death sentence) with EPQ. It takes some next level planning and organization to pull it off, had to sacrifice alot of time for it. Though a note about EPQ is that its not only giving you a break from other subjects but also they benefits it will give you in your application. It is also important to know how the EPQ is graded - it is at large based off your planning of the EPQ and the process instead of the finished product, so take that to mind i guess.
Original post by chinjyanson
Yea similarly I took Further maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A levels (also known as a death sentence) with EPQ. It takes some next level planning and organization to pull it off, had to sacrifice alot of time for it. Though a note about EPQ is that its not only giving you a break from other subjects but also they benefits it will give you in your application. It is also important to know how the EPQ is graded - it is at large based off your planning of the EPQ and the process instead of the finished product, so take that to mind i guess.

What was your EPQ on?
Reply 8
I think doing an EPQ is really worth it if you can manage to get it done properly without it getting in the way of or interrupting ur main a levels. Looking back now I do wish i had done one.
Original post by chinjyanson

I actually wanted to do the same....any advice on it???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending