The Student Room Group

4GB OR 8GB RAM For Macbook Air

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to buy a 13-inch macbook air with 256GB (I need lots of storage for photos, music, videos etc) for university, although I am unsure whether to choose the MBA with 4GB Ram or 8GB. I plan to use the mac for internet, micro office, music etc casual things, and I though 4GB would be sufficient, but i'm considering 8GB to future proof it. So which is worthwhile, 4GB or 8GB. Also, I have an NUS Card, can i use it in the apple retail store to get student discount.
Original post by Graham 14
Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to buy a 13-inch macbook air with 256GB (I need lots of storage for photos, music, videos etc) for university, although I am unsure whether to choose the MBA with 4GB Ram or 8GB. I plan to use the mac for internet, micro office, music etc casual things, and I though 4GB would be sufficient, but i'm considering 8GB to future proof it. So which is worthwhile, 4GB or 8GB. Also, I have an NUS Card, can i use it in the apple retail store to get student discount.

Personally I would get a windows machine with 8GB of RAM for less than the price of a macbook air with 4GB of RAM.

However, I imagine you're set on the macbook, so for the uses you've described 4GB would be sufficient, both for now and probably in the future too unless you change what you use your laptop for.

If I were you however it would depend on the price difference between the 4GB and 8GB version for me. I don't know the exact prices of different versions of the macbook air, but if the 8GB was less than £100 more than the 4GB I would get the 8GB. However, I imagine it is more than £100 more for double the RAM.
Get the 8gb one.
Reply 3
I'd buy the 4gb version. Apple charges a lot for their ram but you can buy extra ram elsewhere (I recommend crucial or Kingston) and install it yourself which is really easy and much cheaper. Check the crucial.com/uk website to see what they charge for your mpb model.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by solipse
I'd buy the 4gb version. Apple charges a lot for their ram but you can buy extra ram elsewhere (I recommend crucial or Kingston) and install it yourself which is really easy and much cheaper. Check the crucial.com/uk website to see what they charge for your mpb model.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't the ram soldiered on now so you can't upgrade it?
Reply 5
Sorry just noticed that you were asking about a MacBook air, not a pro. Those can't be upgraded later so I'd probably just get the 8gb. You can get up to 15% off from Apple via Nus or Unidays, which would help cover the extra ram costs.

You can use your Nus card to buy it in the Apple store with the discount but when I did that they asked me to log in to my university portal to prove I was a student as apparently people are using fake nus cards...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
get the 8 gig as that is a higher speck computer
For the typical usage you described I don't think 8gb ram is worth the extra money especially for the 13" under the guise of future proofing because chances are if you're not looking to run memory intensive software in the near future even if you upgrade the ram the rest of the parts will be far from future-esque. For an average use 4GB is more than enough.

*BTW what's the difference in price for each? If it's under £80, go ahead but if not you're better off buying the extra ram yourself which can be bought for around that price and less.

Original post by rayquaza17
Isn't the ram soldiered on now so you can't upgrade it?

It's like a card component which can either be replaced or there's a slot which can used to add it.
Hi Sorry to pounce

I would like a apple mac for when I go to uni to do a journalism course.

Not sure whether to go with a air or pro?

4gb or 8gb memory?

125 gb flash or 256gb?
11" or 13"?

1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to2.7GHz or upgrade to 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to3.2GHz?

Please help !
Reply 9
Original post by macca160670
Hi Sorry to pounce

I would like a apple mac for when I go to uni to do a journalism course.

Not sure whether to go with a air or pro?

4gb or 8gb memory?

125 gb flash or 256gb?
11" or 13"?

1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to2.7GHz or upgrade to 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to3.2GHz?

Please help !

Get the 8GB of memory.

128GB is fine. I have a 128GB MacBook Pro and I have 60GB left... it needs a clean out soon.

Get the 1.6Ghz i5, i7 isn't needed unless you're doing graphic design etc. 13".

Go with a Pro. The Air is pretty naff, screen is quite poor for the amount you're paying.
4GB has been great on my 11 inch Air.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending