The Student Room Group

Laptops for uni

so uni is starting soon and I want to have a laptop ready for it.
I already have a great pc which I will be taking with me mainly for pleasure and convenience but as you can guess you cant exactly bring that to lectures :smile:
so does anyone have any recommendations, something light with little to no sound which runs well and can possibly run simple games like minecraft or roblox for example.
I have only used Windows my whole life but the MacBook Air 2020 M1 is most likely the ideal one so is there any other competitors?
my budget is £800 but I am willing to go to £1000

also as ill be travelling on a motorbike I would not be wanting to crash and break it so as well as competitors to the MacBook above is there any other budget recommendations around £400?
Best recommendation: wait. Laptop prices peak in the summer to rip off students and parents.

Once you’re enrolled and have a university email address then you’ll be eligible for discounts (and your university may have additional discounts available).

You won’t need a laptop in the first weeks - you can wait and take advantage of discounts and lower autumn prices to get a lot more for your money.

Also at many universities lectures are still online or recorded.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by tastysmurf
so uni is starting soon and I want to have a laptop ready for it.
I already have a great pc which I will be taking with me mainly for pleasure and convenience but as you can guess you cant exactly bring that to lectures :smile:
so does anyone have any recommendations, something light with little to no sound which runs well and can possibly run simple games like minecraft or roblox for example.
I have only used Windows my whole life but the MacBook Air 2020 M1 is most likely the ideal one so is there any other competitors?
my budget is £800 but I am willing to go to £1000

also as ill be travelling on a motorbike I would not be wanting to crash and break it so as well as competitors to the MacBook above is there any other budget recommendations around £400?

Used ThinkPads are great if you want something cheap, since they are usually sold off by businesses in bulk and usually depreciate highly in value. The X390 or X13 models are great for being thin and light with a decent size screen, T4x0 or T14 models are also good for being a little bigger and having a bit more upgradability (in the non-s models at least). Ideally look for an 8th gen or newer processor, 8GB of RAM (maybe 16GB if you're doing a course which requires more computing power, especially on the Ts or X models since it's soldered) and 256GB of storage at a minimum. I wouldn't recommend a brand new laptop for that cheap since they're typically compromised in a lot of ways such as performance and build quality.

As for premium offerings, the M1 MacBook Air is great, but macOS has a learning curve if you're coming from Windows. The Dell XPS 13 and Surface Laptop are really good if you want something similar but running Windows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending