The Student Room Group

As bio

I'm doing ocr as biology and find the endorsed textbook confusing so would it be ok if I just followed the spec and revised only what was on the specification. Any help would be appreciated.
You can get really good revision guides an Amazon that aren't as hard to follow as the textbooks. I think following the spec would be fine but you'd have to be really careful that you don't learn the wrong thing x
Reply 2
I've got the the CGP revision guide I find it useful but I'm told it doesn't cover the content in enough detail. Careful as in not enough?. Thnx for helping.
Reply 3
You can't rely solely on revision guides to cover everything. Use it as a starting point, then once you've grasped it, move on to the textbook. Some things are difficult to understand so better to learn them verbatim. Use mark schemes and past papers to see the depth of knowledge required to get good marks.
Reply 4
Original post by Mimir
You can't rely solely on revision guides to cover everything. Use it as a starting point, then once you've grasped it, move on to the textbook. Some things are difficult to understand so better to learn them verbatim. Use mark schemes and past papers to see the depth of knowledge required to get good marks.

Is it ok to revise from Mark schemes
Reply 5
Original post by needy2.0
Is it ok to revise from Mark schemes

No. Like I said - they're good to see the depth of knowledge required. There are discreet differences each year to what is required. Plus, the questions aren't always identical.

Learn the concepts and apply the knowledge is the safest way.
Reply 6
Original post by Mimir
No. Like I said - they're good to see the depth of knowledge required. There are discreet differences each year to what is required. Plus, the questions aren't always identical.

Learn the concepts and apply the knowledge is the safest way.

So would it be fine if I just learnt all the concepts from the textbook and left out the bits that ramble on and aren't in the specification.
Reply 7
Original post by needy2.0
So would it be fine if I just learnt all the concepts from the textbook and left out the bits that ramble on and aren't in the specification.

If you learn the 'core' content you'll get a grade that reflects that - maybe a C/B borderline. To get a top mark you need to know more than core and have an ability to apply the knowledge.

Biology is enormous when it comes to content. You can't learn too much in preparation for exams.
Reply 8
Original post by Mimir
If you learn the 'core' content you'll get a grade that reflects that - maybe a C/B borderline. To get a top mark you need to know more than core and have an ability to apply the knowledge.

Biology is enormous when it comes to content. You can't learn too much in preparation for exams.

I guess I'll do that. Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending