The Student Room Group

deleted

!!
(edited 8 months ago)
I think you'll definitely be fine with your current subjects. Unless the specific university course you're applying to explicitly states they prefer applicants to have done biology, you'll be fine. Also I'd say 3A* without bio is much more likely to be preferred than A*AA with bio. It isn't worth putting in more time and effort for an arguably worse outcome.
Original post by spliced
For context, im at the end of year 12, and I’m considering switching one of my subjects (as my combination is not the strongest). I take maths, psych and geo and want to do psych at uni. I was thinking of switching geo for bio as it is a preferred subject for psych (I would either stay an extra year or try and learn AS during summer) and I do kinda regret geo. If I do decide to take bio though, it’s highly likely the grades i’ll come out with will be lower than if I stuck with geo. My current combination is fine for unis I have looked at (like i meet UCL’s preference of 2 ‘sciences’) and so my question is, is subject combination more important than grades (or vice versa)? As if I stick I can hopefully get A*A*A*, whereas if I took bio it would likely fall to A*AA or even A*AB. Should I go for bio to strengthen my combo, or stick with geo and come out with better grades?

I definitely recommend continuing on with your current subjects, staying an extra year maybe balances out the benefit of having bio. plenty of great unis will offer you for psych without bio, i know people who don’t do sciences and are going on to do psych. also, the bio content you learn at uni in psychology won’t be too difficult grasp. your grades are great :smile: also geography is considered a science at a few unis, check their entry requirements. good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by spliced
For context, im at the end of year 12, and I’m considering switching one of my subjects (as my combination is not the strongest). I take maths, psych and geo and want to do psych at uni. I was thinking of switching geo for bio as it is a preferred subject for psych (I would either stay an extra year or try and learn AS during summer) and I do kinda regret geo. If I do decide to take bio though, it’s highly likely the grades i’ll come out with will be lower than if I stuck with geo. My current combination is fine for unis I have looked at (like i meet UCL’s preference of 2 ‘sciences’) and so my question is, is subject combination more important than grades (or vice versa)? As if I stick I can hopefully get A*A*A*, whereas if I took bio it would likely fall to A*AA or even A*AB. Should I go for bio to strengthen my combo, or stick with geo and come out with better grades?

Heya!

Usually, universities specifically state what they require subject and grade wise :h: If they don't require a specific subject and state what grades they require, then grades are very important. If they state specifically that they require an A* in bio, then both subject and grade are important.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest