The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine but I don't do bio A-level

I'm applying to study medicine for 2024 entry, and when I was choosing my A-levels I decided not to do bio (partially because it was my worst science and I was worried about not getting the grades I need, partially because I was more interested in my other subject options, and partially because isn't all human biology, so I wasn't sure it would be insanely relevant anyway). I now do chem, maths, physics and English lit, and I'm predicted A*AAA (A* in english lit). I haven't done my UCAT yet so nothing to say on that, but I'm obviously only applying to unis that don't need bio, just chem and another science (which I fulfill with maths and physics). I was thinking Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle.
My question is, how much will not doing bio disadvantage my application? I know you don't need to do it to get a place, but I haven't spoken to any other applicants or successful students at open days who didn't do bio. Are there any students at these unis who didn't do bio? I've been stressing about it quite a bit because I'm now feeling like I should've just taken it, and I don't know whether not doing it is actually just going to mess with my application.
(edited 9 months ago)
If it's not essential or specifically stated as preferred then it won't disadvantage you at all.
Original post by l.mae
I'm applying to study medicine for 2024 entry, and when I was choosing my A-levels I decided not to do bio (partially because it was my worst science and I was worried about not getting the grades I need, partially because I was more interested in my other subject options, and partially because isn't all human biology, so I wasn't sure it would be insanely relevant anyway). I now do chem, maths, physics and English lit, and I'm predicted A*AAA (A* in english lit). I haven't done my UCAT yet so nothing to say on that, but I'm obviously only applying to unis that don't need bio, just chem and another science (which I fulfill with maths and physics). I was thinking Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle.
My question is, how much will not doing bio disadvantage my application? I know you don't need to do it to get a place, but I haven't spoken to any other applicants or successful students at open days who didn't do bio. Are there any students at these unis who didn't do bio? I've been stressing about it quite a bit because I'm now feeling like I should've just taken it, and I don't know whether not doing it is actually just going to mess with my application.

As said above, unless it is specified as essential or desirable it wont disadvantage you.

the UCAT score will be important (esp for Bristol) and SJT too in the context of Manchester.

You will wish to push for as high a UCAT score as you can as a lower UCAT score, combined with no Bio may reduce the choices you have unfortunately, but that is the same for those that didn’t do Chem, or do other combinations.

the key will be to be strategic in the context of your academics and dependant on your UCAT.

post in the what med school medical megathread once you have your UCAT score and sense test your potential schools there. You have strong predicted and a good range of science A levels (albeit not biology). Good luck with your application.
Reply 3
Original post by George&Mary44!
As said above, unless it is specified as essential or desirable it wont disadvantage you.

the UCAT score will be important (esp for Bristol) and SJT too in the context of Manchester.

You will wish to push for as high a UCAT score as you can as a lower UCAT score, combined with no Bio may reduce the choices you have unfortunately, but that is the same for those that didn’t do Chem, or do other combinations.

the key will be to be strategic in the context of your academics and dependant on your UCAT.

post in the what med school medical megathread once you have your UCAT score and sense test your potential schools there. You have strong predicted and a good range of science A levels (albeit not biology). Good luck with your application.

Thank you so much! I've been prepping for the UCAT for a couple weeks now and I've still got just over a month before my test date, so I'm hoping to get a good score. I'm also doing lots of bio related extra reading so hopefully that will help for my personal statement.

Thank you for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending