The Student Room Group

Frying oats?

This might possibly be one of the most stupid questions but what do you think will happen if I fry some porridge oats in a pan? You see, I'm feeling rather adventurous today and I really like oats so I was thinking of maybe frying them, along with some Diary Milk to make CHOCOLATE FRIED OATS!

What do you think? Or do you think it'd just explode and blow my hair out?
That actually sounds quite nice, in a weird way...so long as you fried them in butter!
Reply 2
FrisbeeFan
That actually sounds quite nice, in a weird way...so long as you fried them in butter!

Yay! Someone who approves!

Why the butter, though?
can you actually fry chocolate? :confused:
Reply 4
qwerty_st/n
can you actually fry chocolate? :confused:

Yes, it will just melt. What I was thinking of doing is putting some chocolate in a plastic bowl, which sits in a pan and then melts. Then I'd add oats and stir. Then pour them in the pan. :biggrin: Not quite sure how this is going to turn out... hmm.
The latter way would be much better. Chocolate + hot surface = burnt chocolate white is very hard to remove. It takes longer but tastes better and is far easier to clean if you do it the bowl-on-top-of-boiling-water method.
Ooh, that sounds really nice actually! :biggrin:
I think with the addition of chopped nuts it would be even nicer!
Butter as then it would sorta be like flapjack!
Reply 9
Right I'm gonna go for it! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I'm back with my delicacy!!

And WOW! It's so nice. I strongly advise you to make them!!

Get a pan, put hot water in, put it on the stove. Get a plastic bowl with a few pieces of chocolate. Put it floating on the water in the pan. Wait til it melts. Stir. Add oats. Stir. Add oats. Stir. Until there's no chocolate left. Then add to pan with melted butter on, and mix. Make sure it doesn't get too burnt as well. :wink:

EDIT: I'm gonna try it with Sugar Puffs next time.
Reply 11
You could always bake it instead.

Just get the oats and dont cook them, mix with an egg white and melted chocolate and put it in the oven.

Works well.
Reply 12
Jim-ie
You could always bake it instead.

Just get the oats and dont cook them, mix with an egg white and melted chocolate and put it in the oven.

Works well.

True; but that takes a lot longer I'd imagine.
Reply 13
FrisbeeFan

isnt that how you make flap jacks
Reply 14
Sheen
isnt that how you make flap jacks

Think so, come to think of it. Only I didn't realise that before. :redface: :biggrin:

Latest