The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Apagg
Tehjonny, the point about not offending people is not that we should go out of our way not to offend, but rather that we shouldn't make a point of using offensive language just to show we can, which seems to be your attitude.

:congrats:

Exactly!
I do not get offended easily, but when minority groups say that certain words are hurtful, I think it's obnoxious for people to say "Well how dare you take away my choice of language, blah blah blah." In the past many words were used by force to cause pain and suffering. It's not unreasonable to change our language to reflect our development as a more civilized and tolerant society.

And Gem, I can say whatever I want. What a silly point--I am not controlling other people's lives through TSR :rolleyes:
Reply 82
shady lane
I do not get offended easily, but when minority groups say that certain words are hurtful, I think it's obnoxious for people to say "Well how dare you take away my choice of language, blah blah blah." In the past many words were used by force to cause pain and suffering. It's not unreasonable to change our language to reflect our development as a more civilized and tolerant society.

And Gem, I can say whatever I want. What a silly point--I am not controlling other people's lives through TSR :rolleyes:

I think if someone wants to insult someone of mixed race there are far more horrible ways to do it than by calling them 'half caste'. I don't think anyone who calls someone 'half caste' means it in a derogatory way, it's simply a description, what's to get upset about?! :confused:

Also I didn't say you take 'control' of peoples lives on TSR, I said you have no right to tell people what they can and can't say. Like you say, you can say whatever you want, so let others be allowed to say what they want too - you're contradicting yourself a bit.
Gem
I think if someone wants to insult someone of mixed race there are far more horrible ways to do it than by calling them 'half caste'. I don't think anyone who calls someone 'half caste' means it in a derogatory way, it's simply a description, what's to get upset about?! :confused:

Also I didn't say you take 'control' of peoples lives on TSR, I said you have no right to tell people what they can and can't say. Like you say, you can say whatever you want, so let others be allowed to say what they want too - you're contradicting yourself a bit.

Not really...what I'm saying isn't offensive language. In fact, in today's society, it is considered correct to take a stand against offensive language. You somehow think it's a problem that I avoid certain words. Maybe I have a larger vocabulary than many of you, since I don't think it hinders my ability to express myself at all.
shady lane
Not really...what I'm saying isn't offensive language. In fact, in today's society, it is considered correct to take a stand against offensive language. You somehow think it's a problem that I avoid certain words. Maybe I have a larger vocabulary than many of you, since I don't think it hinders my ability to express myself at all.

Step 1: Stop acting like a complete loser.
Step 2: See step 1.
So now not being racially offensive is considered being a loser. Remind to stay in London and avoid Manchester at all costs.
Reply 86
is the term mixed-race more appropiate?
In the US the term many people use is biracial or multiracial.
Reply 88
shady lane
In the US the term many people use is biracial or multiracial.

they sound more polite i guess.
Reply 89
shady lane
So now not being racially offensive is considered being a loser. Remind to stay in London and avoid Manchester at all costs.

And I for one thought that racism, at least that directed towards black people, had all but died out back home in Manchester.

Pretty much everyone above a certain intelligence line knows better, and those below it are too busy emulating american black fashion.
Racism only exists with intent, consious or subconsious. If someone uses a term like "half-caste" as a description without the intent to cause insult whats wrong?
shady lane

Stop acting like a two year old.
Shreerac1
Stop acting like a two year old.

You used "loser" as a defense for a point. I think you should be telling yourself that, actually.
Remember everyone - the Government tells us to say season's greetings and not merry Christmas. *sigh*

But it's like the bank holiday on the 12th July is usually often referred to as July 12th bank holiday rather than Orangemen Day or Celebration of the Battle of the Boyne.
shady lane
You used "loser" as a defense for a point. I think you should be telling yourself that, actually.

That post wasn't serious :rolleyes:
Christmas day should be renamed Spend Lots day
shady lane

thats just overwhelmingly arrogant and snappy. Offensive language is one thing but as was said if i want to be racially insultive i can think of much more derogatory terms than half caste.

Shreerac1
Christmas day should be renamed Spend Lots day

you dont spend anything on Xmas day all the shops are shut:p:
Giliwoo
In your cleverness, you seem to have missed the point :rolleyes: That being words when used within an understood relationship, carry entirely different meaning in another. So not sure where all this "commitment" malarkey came from, as it is irrelevant. Indeed, by pointing that out, you hint at the difference in the nature of the relationship here, that allows you such liberty, yet would disqualify it in any other relationship, and thus negate your initial position. Hoist upon your own petard?

Not at all - you seemed to have been suggesting that calling someone you're in a relationship with by "pet" names would be acceptable, but calling someone else those names (or someone calling your partner those names) is unacceptable. I'm claiming that it's only because you and your partner are in a relationship that you don't allow other people to call you those names. Put it this way - you wouldn't hesitate in sticking up for a girlfriend if she got called these names by some guy in a pub (because there's a commitment between you two and you two alone, monogamy and all that), but if it was a female friend you would probably just back off and assume they were dating or it was some random weirdo, assuming it wasn't in any way violent, pushy or forceful.

I'm saying the same is true of the word "nigger", but without such a strong reasoning behind the rules governing its use: many black people (I shall ignore shady lane's quite intolerant comment) use the term "nigger" to each other as a term of endearment. Yet if a white person uses the term "nigger", even in a perfectly acceptable sentence which isn't offensive at all apart from that word, the black people will most likely get offended. The only arguments I've ever heard against this are as follows. Firstly, black people used to be hated by white people and so the term has become a term of abuse; to which my question is, why use it yourselves? Secondly, it's accepted within 'black culture' between family (obviously, not all family members) or close friends, so a white person coming in and trying to be your family or friends is obviously ludicrous in the first place - in which case, it's the black people who are being racist.

Of course, I'm not saying they're the only arguments, but they're the only ones that actual black people have ever told me. There are probably more arguments that are more convincing, in which case I'd be perfectly happy to hear them. I do also realise that this is generalisation and that not all black people use the term, and that some black people would allow non-black friends to use the term to them, but the general consensus is that if that word is used, it's automatically labelled as offensive, without looking at the verbal and social contexts. That, to me, is what makes no sense.

shady lane

In the past, gay people were hanged. Should I be offending myself? I don't understand your point - this is the past. I don't see how use of the word "half-caste" would be uncivilised if people didn't take offence at it, if you'll excuse the pure hypothesis - people don't take offence at the word "tree" because it's not offensive, and if the term "half-caste" was equally inoffensive, it would be fine. Given that nowadays the term is almost exclusively used accidentally by people who don't mean to cause offence, I see no reason for the word to be offensive any more. But it still is. Why?
shady lane

So, because you would take offence at the word "f**k", I can't use it? Using it doesn't hinder my ability to express myself at all - in fact, why did you say "vocabulary" instead of "word-box"? I've suddenly decided I find the word "vocabulary" offensive and that I only want you to use the (ridiculous) word "word-box", because you can express yourself so much better without resorting to profanities like the v-word.

Or is that rubbish?

Just like the word "to perform coitus with someone" is much more expressive than "to ****", I suppose. Even though the former probably won't be understood by a large section of the population, and sounds unnecessarily medical, and despite being good at English even I had (and am still having) doubts about the correct preposition to use. Sometimes, "to ****" really is more expressive than the alternatives, when you want something to sound vulgar.

And finally, I'm sure the poem "half-caste" would've been much less exciting if it was called "biracial". The author has used that to great effect. You can't say it's hindered the author's vocabulary at all and really they should have used "mixed-race" - you would destroy the entire point of the poem.
Reply 99
shady lane

You're trying to put people down in order to feel better about yourself. Having a wide range of vocabulary has nothing to do with the issue - that's just you being arrogant.

I can't see how 'half caste' is any more offensive than 'mixed race' - it's just a description, same as 'white'. It seems that you intentionally look for things to be offensive, then proceed to tell the person using such a term off. I don't think you have any right to tell someone off, especially when the term used isn't bad. I can understand you pointing it out or hitting the post report button if someone uses a different word, and they use it in a derogatory way, but so far nobody has.

Basically, you're just looking to provoke people over nothing and I find that a bit sad really and feel sorry for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending