The Student Room Group

What's your biggest exam mistake uni version

Mine is not studying :colondollar: :angelblush::banghead:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is not a uni example but in my Science Level 8-10 SATS in Year 9, to the question 'What is meant by a predator-prey relationship' I answered 'When a predator attempts to mate with it's prey.'

3 damn marks off a Level 8 as well!
Reply 2
Original post by Wimbs
This is not a uni example but in my Science Level 8-10 SATS in Year 9, to the question 'What is meant by a predator-prey relationship' I answered 'When a predator attempts to mate with it's prey.'

3 damn marks off a Level 8 as well!

You biggest exam mistake was losing 3 marks? I lose 5 marks on a good day :ashamed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
-Thinking an exam was on Thursday when it was on Tuesday and finding out Tuesday morning
-Not studying enough
-Studying too much material and filling my brain with extraneous details that ultimately hindered my performance because I wasn't able to remember important stuff
I did another modules question because I thought I could answer it better than the one I prepared for. The sheer panic that followed was not worth it, and I have no idea how I passed. Stress and self doubt makes us do crazy things!
In first year and second year my biggest mistake was not having a meticulous exam plan. I developed one in third year and ended up averaging a first. However, I now know how to plan in great detail to take things in so the learning curve itself will be a great tool to use in life.

My exam plan in third year.

Firstly, I'd get all the material for the exam and create a mind map of it all. I'd include key words and acronyms and then branch off with definitions. I'd then expand this into typed up notes and put the mind map at the front with the stapled notes behind.

Secondly, I'd create a presentation of the key points and read over them in my mind as the presentation went through. As the presentation automatically looped through I'd start recalling terms with more ease due to the repetitive nature of the task.

Thirdly, on the eve of the exam(s) I would sleep early and then wake up around 6am. I'd get a good breakfast in and then spend 2 hours revising before heading to the location of the exam. I'd take my notes with me on the bus and read through them. I'd then look at the mind map before binning it and entering the exam room.

Finally, once we were allowed to start writing I'd turn to the back of the exam answer booklet and spend the first 5 minutes reproducing the mind map I had just visualised from memory in the back of the booklet. At this point I wouldn't even look at the question paper. I would be in a state of focus to ensure no detail was forgotten. Once the mind map was complete I would look at the questions and get on with them.

As exams were often 2 hours long I'd deduct 5 minutes for the mind map, 5 minutes for reading questions and then 5 minutes for checking over. I'd spend the entire time there and never leave early. I'd then have 35 minutes per question as we had to answer 3 of the 5 available questions. Of course, with longer exams you'd split the time to suit.
Original post by Pseudocode
In first year and second year my biggest mistake was not having a meticulous exam plan. I developed one in third year and ended up averaging a first. However, I now know how to plan in great detail to take things in so the learning curve itself will be a great tool to use in life.

My exam plan in third year.

Firstly, I'd get all the material for the exam and create a mind map of it all. I'd include key words and acronyms and then branch off with definitions. I'd then expand this into typed up notes and put the mind map at the front with the stapled notes behind.

Secondly, I'd create a presentation of the key points and read over them in my mind as the presentation went through. As the presentation automatically looped through I'd start recalling terms with more ease due to the repetitive nature of the task.

Thirdly, on the eve of the exam(s) I would sleep early and then wake up around 6am. I'd get a good breakfast in and then spend 2 hours revising before heading to the location of the exam. I'd take my notes with me on the bus and read through them. I'd then look at the mind map before binning it and entering the exam room.

Finally, once we were allowed to start writing I'd turn to the back of the exam answer booklet and spend the first 5 minutes reproducing the mind map I had just visualised from memory in the back of the booklet. At this point I wouldn't even look at the question paper. I would be in a state of focus to ensure no detail was forgotten. Once the mind map was complete I would look at the questions and get on with them.

As exams were often 2 hours long I'd deduct 5 minutes for the mind map, 5 minutes for reading questions and then 5 minutes for checking over. I'd spend the entire time there and never leave early. I'd then have 35 minutes per question as we had to answer 3 of the 5 available questions. Of course, with longer exams you'd split the time to suit.

sheeeeeeet...kinda puts my strategy of 'read this, read that and do the exam' to shame.
If we're going for general exam failures - I thought that 6 x 2 =18 D:

I then continued to get the rest of the 18 mark series if questions wrong because of this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Wake up early in preparation for exam and set off early as the exam in on the other side of the city. I walk 15 minutes from my halls to the correct bus stop. There's a bit of a wait when I get there so I start looking at my phone. Just by chance I look at my exam timetable and realise that my exam is actually at Uni and the one I had later in the week was on the other side of the city.

I was running late, so had to get a taxi to the Uni, and thankfully made it with a good five/ten minutes to spare before we had to go and sit down for the exam. I just got lucky that by chance I looked at my exam timetable and realised or I would have been on the other side of the city, feeling stupid and failed an exam!

Oh, and there's the time I misread part of a coursework question, meaning that 400/2,500 words were completely irrelevant to the essay. I do wonder how I ended up getting a 2:1 at times!
Trying to do some Finals exams even though I knew I couldn't even attempt to answer all the questions. Cost me a 2.1 classification overall :frown:

As my dad said later on, I'd have been better off if I'd have shoved the exam paper in my bra and walked out :tongue:
My mistake: trying to revise for everything. That never worked as to get a 2.1 we also needed to do further reading. So in third year I selectively learned 40-60% of the content depending on the module, and with further reading I got 4/5 1sts. I wish I knew this in second year.
Reply 11
Original post by may348
-Thinking an exam was on Thursday when it was on Tuesday and finding out Tuesday morning
-Not studying enough
-Studying too much material and filling my brain with extraneous details that ultimately hindered my performance because I wasn't able to remember important stuff

Original post by SomeStudent
My mistake: trying to revise for everything. That never worked as to get a 2.1 we also needed to do further reading. So in third year I selectively learned 40-60% of the content depending on the module, and with further reading I got 4/5 1sts. I wish I knew this in second year.

I think this is a common problem uni students have, studying too much material. You end up with basically a big mess of information in your head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may348
-Not studying enough

Better finding out on Tuesday morning than Thursday morning!!
Reply 13
Original post by rayquaza17
Better finding out on Tuesday morning than Thursday morning!!

True, though I still did horribly. :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Choosing AQA for the sciences.
--Read the title wrong--
(edited 9 years ago)
I chose the wrong question in the synoptic essay in my last Bio exam.
Thinking GCSEs were important
Reply 18
Ok, well my calamitous event happened this summer. First, let me set the scene.

At 18 decided I wanted to study medicine and made a tough decision to start my A levels at 19. The way my college did exams was to sit most, if not all, of the units in the final year of study.
I thought that I should try and do all the AS modules in at least one subject, to avoid too much workload and pressure building up in my final year.
Despite not having been taught the 2nd AS unit in physics at all, it was my best subject, and so I independently asked the school if I could sit paper by myself.
I thus worked solidly for a week, and despite scoring well in practise papers, in the actual unit 2 exam I scored (for me), a poor score of 94/120 UMS (high B), but did well in the other modules (110/120 - unit 1, 59/60 - unit 3).

No matter.

Physics was my best subject, and at the end of the day I had learnt the unit from scratch by myself in a week, performed badly on exam day, and still achieved a high B. I was continually improving, had a nice buffer of AS UMS marks for that A grade, and I was aiming for that A* that the 'better' medical schools want.
The possibility that I wouldn't get an A overall didn't even cross my mind.

Cut to the following summer.

I decided against re-sitting the unit 2 physics module because every possible indicator throughout that year showed there was no risk of me getting a B overall, and was on track for A*. AS marks don't go towards A*, and so I just got on with preparing for the A2 units.

I prepared more for my first A2 physics exam (unit 4) more than I have ever prepared for an exam, and perhaps ever will do.
I scrupulously dissected the physics book from cover to cover, answered all the questions, and sat every past paper available... twice.

Cut to the exam.

Turn the page, and I start at the first question, which was allocated a lot of marks... and for some reason, I just can't seem to come to an answer I'm satisfied with. I know I'm close to getting it right and getting all the marks, but I'm just getting this ONE thing wrong. This weird pressure gradually fills my mind and starts pushing against the inside of my skull, and my thoughts become disorganised. I just can't get it, but it seems so close? What am I doing wrong..? Time goes by, I look at my watch, and my heart sinks.. I've taken far too long on this, and so I rustle up and move on. At this point, I realised the paper isn't going well, and I have a time debt to pay to the other questions. I start to rush, and things go from bad to worse. My hands start sweating, and I have difficulty with the second question. At this point I go into full panic, smash and grab mode, rushing through the questions without diligence or organised thought.

I come out of my exam distraught. I couldn't believe it. It was the worst exam performance I have ever given in practice or for real. My A* was certainly over, my A overall on the brink of destruction, and therefore my future on medicine was literally hanging in the balance. There was little chance of me getting in to med school as a mature student who took three years to complete A levels, so I had to perform and get it right first time...

As everything rested on my final Physics exam, unit 5, the pressure I felt was unreal. The weeks zipped past, I didn't focus on my other exams, and thus in my mind relinquished the prospect of getting A*'s in the other subjects. I was in tatters, putting everything I had into preparing. I figured I absolutely had to achieve a high A or A* in unit 5 in order to get an A overall... Sod getting in to a 'better' med school, I just wanted to study medicine!

Cut to exam day of unit 5

I knew that this exam was possibly the most important exam I would ever have to sit. I had prepared hard, it was my best unit, but I absolutely MUST perform.
I get into the exam, and it starts to go well. My thoughts feel well oiled, and I flow through the 1st paper with good pace and rhythm. I get onto the second paper, and find it a little harder. Still, I complete the final essay, and, unusually, I have time to go back over the paper.

We are dismissed, and I breathe a sigh of relief... Yeah, that had gone well, but it was still going to be touch and go.

And heres where it happened folks. Something that I've never done, nor will I think it will ever happen again.

I'm there chatting with my mates about the exam, I'm feeling decent, until one chap perked up "Ah yeah and what did you think about the relativity question...?"

My heart went cold.

'Err... What relativity question?' - I asked, disbelief in my voice

"You know, the one after the essay at the end?"

At this point, everything seemed to go black and white and I immediately walked away from the group without another word. I couldn't revise for the remaining A2 exams. I had literally just wasted 2 years of my life... Because I hadn't turned a ******* page, and missed an entire ******* question worth a decent proportion of the marks. Everything about the exam seemed over, and the format was deceiving and unconventional, but still. I had completely messed up, and I was in bits.

Everyone assured me that I must get an A. They saw me in class get A* after A* in the mocks, but they just didn't understand.

The ensuing months I literally had an existential crises, it was a really weird time. I couldn't believe I pissed away my dream of becoming a doctor. Maybe I didn't deserve it.

Well, it all seems a bit funny now, lol, but such is life. Sorry for the essay, I love writing :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending