The Student Room Group

Foundation year transfer

I have been given an offer at a uni for pharmacy with a foundation year. The foundation year is due to my chemistry grade. But I personally believe I don’t need that foundation year as I’ve been doing well enough in chemistry thought my A Level. I would say the grade I achieved is reflected more on the grade boundaries than my actual performance. And I was only five or six marks from the grade they wanted. I have already accepted the offer but would it be possible if I speak to my advisor and uni I can be transferred to first year without needing to do the foundation year????
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by hui8
I have been given an offer at a uni for pharmacy but due to my chemistry grade I’m in for a foundation year. But I personally believe I don’t need that foundation year as I’ve been doing well enough in chemistry thought my A Level. I would say the grade I achieved is reflected more on the grade boundaries than my actual performance. And I was only five or six marks from the grade they wanted. I have already accepted the offer but would it be possible if I speak to my advisor and uni I can be transferred to first year without needing to do the foundation year????

No. You were offered the "with Foundation Year" version because you didn't meet the offer conditions for the "standard" degree. You can't just expect your own opinion of your ability in Chemistry ("I’ve been doing well enough in chemistry thought my A Level") to override that.

If universities took that approach, then what would be the point of A level grades at all? You'd just ask every student how well they thought they did, and accept the ones who told you they did well.

If you want to join the "standard" degree, then retake Chemistry and reapply for next year.
Reply 2
Original post by hui8
I have been given an offer at a uni for pharmacy but due to my chemistry grade I’m in for a foundation year. But I personally believe I don’t need that foundation year as I’ve been doing well enough in chemistry thought my A Level. I would say the grade I achieved is reflected more on the grade boundaries than my actual performance. And I was only five or six marks from the grade they wanted. I have already accepted the offer but would it be possible if I speak to my advisor and uni I can be transferred to first year without needing to do the foundation year????

Hi, have you tried calling the university to talk to them about it… then you could explain why you believe that you are ready for their degree - straight into first year…

however, you should try to decide soon as all the universities are filling up their available spaces really fast due to clearing and results
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
No. You were offered the
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
No. You were offered the "with Foundation Year" version because you didn't meet the offer conditions for the "standard" degree. You can't just expect your own opinion of your ability in Chemistry ("I’ve been doing well enough in chemistry thought my A Level") to override that.

If universities took that approach, then what would be the point of A level grades at all? You'd just ask every student how well they thought they did, and accept the ones who told you they did well.

If you want to join the "standard" degree, then retake Chemistry and reapply for next year.

Sorry for the mistakes in my post I didn’t read through it carefully. The only reason I’m even inquiring this is because no one ( very little at this specific uni) even met the grade requirements. So it’s not a matter of i didn’t meet the requirements clearly. And I absolutely fine with doing a foundation year but from what I have seen online the content seems to be very similar to A levels. And I won’t say it’s ‘my opinion’ of my ability of chemistry I have the grades of actual mock and standardised exams I’ve done at school with my grades that show my ability in chemistry.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Llycia
Hi, have you tried calling the university to talk to them about it… then you could explain why you believe that you are ready for their degree - straight into first year…

however, you should try to decide soon as all the universities are filling up their available spaces really fast due to clearing and results

Will do thank you for the message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending