The Student Room Group

Should all guys be going to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone should be lifting on a regular basis.
Yes.

I look down on guys who don't lift especially when they have the time.
Honestly I am really ashamed when I go to the gym because I am so weak. I want to improve but it's hard when there's a dude right next to you lifting 10 times as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
You gotta realise that there will always be someone lifting more than you. As long as you do good foundation building exercises (deadlift,bench etc NOT bicep curls), others will leave you alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you even lift bro!!!

lol
Original post by Multitalented me
To keep fit & healthy. Say they did other forms of exercise like jogging outside & had a good diet is that enough? Just curious...

Gyms are for loserz who cant look after themselves. A real man (me) don't need a ratship aka gym to stay "fit".

Ofcourse lot of el stupidoes (who obviously goes to the ratship) will tell you I'm wrong but they know ****all
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
Gyms are for loserz who cant look after themselves. A real man (me) don't need a ratship aka gym to stay "fit".

Ofcourse lot of el stupidoes (who obviously goes to the ratship) will tell you I'm wrong but they know ****all

Shots fired.
Gym is required by those who have a very busy life and can't keep up with physical workout. If you are into any kind of sports (video games not included) then you might not need to go to any kind of gym. But if you do go, don't try to work hard like a jackass to build your muscles, just try to be natural and lift upto what you desire.

If you want to lift hard, become a professional then period.
Original post by beeen1
You gotta realise that there will always be someone lifting more than you. As long as you do good foundation building exercises (deadlift,bench etc NOT bicep curls), others will leave you alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with your first point.
My friend just goes to the gym like 1/2 times a week (if your lucky) and bicep curls 25kg and goes on about it and I'm like cool mate (I have much more definition and strength than him) yet don't lift as much. Totally stupid.

However, surely bicep curls as that kind of thing does have a place in a routine don't you agree?
I'm a novice on this subject really so I'm just interested to see what people do. I've researched diffferent routines and ended up asking a personal trainer (who is a friend) what he thinks I should be doing - as a beginner.

The consensus I can gather is:
Go to the gym (work out from home) 3/4 times a week - no more
Do some form or cardio 2/3 times (for fairly short periods, not more than 45 mins.
Then rest really/do other sport or whatever else.

Every trainer suggests different things but most have a range of different techniques... Ie dead lift, bench press, bicep curls, squats etc etc.

Frankly, as long as people have some of routine which is incrementally getting more difficult each week and (have a reasonabl diet) they should see results, no?

You make not become Dwayne Johnson but abs should become pretty visible (without tensing) - as long as bf % is decent and arms, back, legs should enlarge and become noticible.

More on topic, no, every guy shouldn't go to the gym but fitness is a must and some strength training is desirable.
I used to run 5 times a week and yes it have me reasonable definition but I was pretty scrawny and it hurt my joints (particularly my knees). I realised in a fight I'd be screwed.

Now I run 2/3 times a week (weather permitting), go to the gym twice and workout from home twice (I can't get to the gym on some days so hence from home).

Each to their own but I already feel the advantages of strengthening up and feel more confident in myself for defence and being more attractive for women. I've only been working out for 3 months so a long way to go :smile:
I'd say that it's really happy if we see in front of mirror with a fit body ^^. I go to the gym everyday to practise exercises, sometimes I spend on running, it's wonderful
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The outdoors is my gym.

Why would I want to be stuck inside when I could be doing this?

Plus it's free.

Each to his own. Here, there is a huge risk of serious injury, you don't get fast physique changes, you're on your own etc. In the gym you can push, pull, squat and be done in 30 minutes twice a week at the least.
Reply 71
I'd rather not do, I see more benefits not doing it that I do lifting but i'm addicted.
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Each to his own. Here, there is a huge risk of serious injury, you don't get fast physique changes, you're on your own etc. In the gym you can push, pull, squat and be done in 30 minutes twice a week at the least.

That's kind of the point.

Although I wouldn't describe it as huge risk. More a managed one.

If it is a hobby I want to do it for more than 30 mins a week.
That's kind of the point.

Although I wouldn't describe it as huge risk. More a managed one.

If it is a hobby I want to do it for more than 30 mins a week.

Most men go to the gym to look better, not as a hobby so I understand your point but think it's besides the point of going to the gym. They also go for health, sporting, hobby reasons but you should be comparing rock climbing here with other sports and activities.
Most men go to the gym to look better, not as a hobby so I understand your point but think it's besides the point of going to the gym. They also go for health, sporting, hobby reasons but you should be comparing rock climbing here with other sports and activities.

Rock climbing is exciting in a being shot at kind of way. You wonder what the **** you are doing clinging to the rock thinking of all the ways this could go horrifically wrong. But once you get over the top you feel amazing. Very life affirming.

There was this one time I was ice climbing near Helvellyn. The conditions were ****, and I was topping out over a snow cornice with no protection and if I fell there is a high chance I would have killed myself and drag my climbing partner down with me. But you just got to keep going. When I got over the top I have never felt more relieved in my life. You don't get that kind of rush in a gym :cool:
Rock climbing is exciting in a being shot at kind of way. You wonder what the **** you are doing clinging to the rock thinking of all the ways this could go horrifically wrong. But once you get over the top you feel amazing. Very life affirming.

There was this one time I was ice climbing near Helvellyn. The conditions were ****, and I was topping out over a snow cornice with no protection and if I fell there is a high chance I would have killed myself and drag my climbing partner down with me. But you just got to keep going. When I got over the top I have never felt more relieved in my life. You don't get that kind of rush in a gym :cool:

That's definitely not for me! I don't do heights very well at all and don't get this thrill others seem to get from things like bungee jumping and roller coasters! People definitely don't go to the gym to get that rush but different needs for different people. There's thrill seekers, competitive people, those that won't to look more attractive, or just want to get stronger etc... there's different reasons for choosing your hobbies. I play sport at a high level and am very competitive but also enjoy the social aspect, I also go to the gym to improve for sport but also to look good and I enjoy being fitter than others and getting stronger.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's definitely not for me! I don't do heights very well at all and don't get this thrill others seem to get from things like bungee jumping and roller coasters! People definitely don't go to the gym to get that rush but different needs for different people. There's thrill seekers, competitive people, those that won't to look more attractive, or just want to get stronger etc... there's different reasons for choosing your hobbies.

I'm scared of heights too :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest