The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Econ or Econ and business

Hello everyone,

I am applying this year for UCL and I couldn't clearly make a choice between the Econ course and the Econ and Business with East European studies course. I saw both seem to be excellent courses, but the Econ + Business course seems to have lower entry requirements. Is it because the Econ course better than E+B ?

I really want to study management, so I would personally go for the E+B, but still, if it isn't good in terms of prestige, I would pick the Economics course.

Could you please help me?
And in which course would I have more chances to get an offer? Is there a difference of requirements between the course and it's "w/ a year abroad" version? Because I would also like to pick the year abroad option, as it is very a formative path.
Perhaps you should wait to see if you get in before you worry about which course you'd pick. The Econ and Business degree has lower entry requirements because it is less popular, it has nothing to do with it being an inferior degree. The Econ and Business degree is obviously focused towards Russia and Eastern Europe so if you're not interested in that region, don't apply. As the prospectus says, the entry requirements are the same for both the year abroad and the non-year abroad degree.

If you want to study management, why are you applying for an economics degree? UCL do a management science degree.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Diamondo
Hello everyone,

I am applying this year for UCL and I couldn't clearly make a choice between the Econ course and the Econ and Business with East European studies course. I saw both seem to be excellent courses, but the Econ + Business course seems to have lower entry requirements. Is it because the Econ course better than E+B ?

I really want to study management, so I would personally go for the E+B, but still, if it isn't good in terms of prestige, I would pick the Economics course.

Could you please help me?
And in which course would I have more chances to get an offer? Is there a difference of requirements between the course and it's "w/ a year abroad" version? Because I would also like to pick the year abroad option, as it is very a formative path.

try for Bsc economics. it reality if you do the eastern european one you don't get taught by the UCL's renowned economics dept unless you choose to do your optional modules there. it is also a BA and this will hurt when you go job hunting.

also everyone I've met on this course secretly wishes they got accepted for the Bsc economics which is far more prestigious and one of the best degrees that UCL offers. but in terms of quality they are almost the same.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin
Perhaps you should wait to see if you get in before you worry about which course you'd pick. The Econ and Business degree has lower entry requirements because it is less popular, it has nothing to do with it being an inferior degree. The Econ and Business degree is obviously focused towards Russia and Eastern Europe so if you're not interested in that region, don't apply. As the prospectus says, the entry requirements are the same for both the year abroad and the non-year abroad degree.

If you want to study management, why are you applying for an economics degree? UCL do a management science degree.

management is a steaming pile of ****. please save the govt some money and go staight for the dole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending