The Student Room Group

doing computer science with maths and two essay subjects A level?

most unis ive looked at for computer science ask for maths A level and nothing else in particular. does this mean someone who does maths history and english A level for example would have a chance, or would it be expected that they would have other sciencey A levels? i know people who are applying for it and mostly they have further maths or bio and chem so
I think you should be fine if they only point out they want Maths so your other two alevels should be fine, if they dont specially ask for bio or chem, then you should be able to handle the course.
thats what i thought/hoped, they really dont seem to specify anything else. does anyone know how important a knowledge of IT is?? obviously its not a requirement for the degree course, and ive heard its more like maths than anything else. i have done some coding stuff for fun and i quite like it, and im good at maths, but im AWFUL at spreadsheets and stuff.
My sister got onto computer sciences with maths at leeds uni with A levels in maths, Religious studies and english language (A*, A, B) , so you dont need much IT knowledge even though it might help, however my sister liked the maths part better so transferred to the maths course in the second year.
Reply 4
Computing/IT isn't required but personally i would recommend taking it for compsci, I am a first year and there are some people on my course who have good grades in maths and other science subjects but they cant get their heads round the programming which is the majority of the course.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok thank you guys
Reply 6
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok thank you guys

Nononono please don't take IT its not anything like computing and not well regarded really. Maths is the most important thing, there will be lots of doors open to you if you do it and if you dont have further maths physics etc. that would only disadvantage you at the very top unis.
I'm taking Math, Further Math, English, Spanish and Geography, not so science-y either but I'm planning to go for Comp Sci so we have the same problems :wink: (not A-levels, equivalent)
heh well im actually in year 13 so choosing my A levels is kind of irrelevant, but i dont have further maths so............. ive looked at a lot of unis requirements and none of them seem to really specify that other subjects have to be taken, but i can see why it might make you a preferable candidate.
ah well, i have offers for english, ive just got cold feet :/
Original post by Viridiana
I'm taking Math, Further Math, English, Spanish and Geography, not so science-y either but I'm planning to go for Comp Sci so we have the same problems :wink: (not A-levels, equivalent)

at least you have further maths! im sure you'll be fine with that :smile: do you have any experience in coding and stuff?
Original post by EmergencyBagels

at least you have further maths! im sure you'll be fine with that :smile: do you have any experience in coding and stuff?

I hope so, but I don't know if in my country we learn the same stuff that you do in the UK, and I'd like to go to a British uni, so I don't know if what I learn will be enough...

I know some basics but that's what they are, basics and nothing more. Among others I've finished the Python course on CodeAcademy - I recommend it to you if you want to see how code generally works because it's easy and fun and helps to prepare! :smile:
Original post by Viridiana
I hope so, but I don't know if in my country we learn the same stuff that you do in the UK, and I'd like to go to a British uni, so I don't know if what I learn will be enough...

I know some basics but that's what they are, basics and nothing more. Among others I've finished the Python course on CodeAcademy - I recommend it to you if you want to see how code generally works because it's easy and fun and helps to prepare! :smile:

i know codeacadamy! i have had a go at that too, quite fun actually. well thats definitely something, of course they wouldnt expect you to know everything already, so thats good. good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by TVIO
Nononono please don't take IT its not anything like computing and not well regarded really. Maths is the most important thing, there will be lots of doors open to you if you do it and if you dont have further maths physics etc. that would only disadvantage you at the very top unis.

I did IT? and i learnt 2 programming languages using different paradigms, principals of software engineering and technical topics like computer systems, computer architecture, computer networks and a lot more (which are all computing topics), I did the IT BTEC though not the A level(which is ICT i believe) and i think thats mainly business related i.e. databases, spreadsheets, info systems etc. (studying CompSci at uni now btw and its basically the same apart from the maths)

it would be worth checking the course content
Reply 12
Original post by yt7777
I did IT? and i learnt 2 programming languages using different paradigms, principals of software engineering and technical topics like computer systems, computer architecture, computer networks and a lot more (which are all computing topics), I did the IT BTEC though not the A level(which is ICT i believe) and i think thats mainly business related i.e. databases, spreadsheets, info systems etc. (studying CompSci at uni now btw and its basically the same apart from the maths)

it would be worth checking the course content

Hmm fair enough. From what I've heard from friends doing the A level it's a lot like GCSE and it sucked. Definitely no programming.
Reply 13
Original post by TVIO
Hmm fair enough. From what I've heard from friends doing the A level it's a lot like GCSE and it sucked. Definitely no programming.

oh thats ****, i thought you would be able to do VBA for Excel and Access to automate macros or to make a login for a database front end?
Further Maths would be advantageous but really Maths + anything is fine for CS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending