The Student Room Group

Year 11, I'm having trouble deciding the 4th a level subjects.

I'm going to keep this short:
My school requires me to take 4 A levels to take further maths
I don't like the sciences, not planning to take them in A levels
The subjects I locked in: maths, further maths, economics
I'm planning to take something business, economics related in college.
My career counselor recommended psychology, which from what I heard, requires a lot of memorization, also economics is already an essay based subject.
Considered media studies, saw that it was looked down upon by many unis.
Also considered dropping further maths, for psychology. But I feel kinda iffy, maths is my strong suit anyways.
At this point I think I have run out of A levels 😭
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Choose the easiest one g
Original post by Kkkaiii
My career counselor recommended psychology, which from what I heard, requires a lot of memorization, also economics is already an essay based subject.
Also considered dropping further maths, for psychology. But I feel kinda iffy, maths is my strong suit anyways.

I know you said you don't like the siences but I'm aware that physics has quite a bit of maths in it so you may like that
Original post by Kkkaiii

psych has a big stats element so that will be helpful somewhat. personally i would choose Geography for the human geog side.
Original post by Anonymous 543
I know you said you don't like the siences but I'm aware that physics has quite a bit of maths in it so you may like that

I agree, physics really helps with the mechanics side of the maths A level. Everyone in my class who takes electronics or physics really excel in mechanics. Almost wish I took physics instead of business... Plus, physics, although it's difficult, is seen as a very good subject in universities eyes.
Original post by iiEllaxox
I agree, physics really helps with the mechanics side of the maths A level. Everyone in my class who takes electronics or physics really excel in mechanics. Almost wish I took physics instead of business... Plus, physics, although it's difficult, is seen as a very good subject in universities eyes.

Also, physics would complement further maths as well as maths.
Original post by Kkkaiii
Do you like computer science? The only hard thing about that is the programming/NEA and that takes up about 20% but I just handed mine in and i never thought I would complete it. The actual content side is easy
Original post by cherrycosmos
Do you like computer science? The only hard thing about that is the programming/NEA and that takes up about 20% but I just handed mine in and i never thought I would complete it. The actual content side is easy

Computer Science is definitely a good pick. It has science in the name but it's nothing like the actual sciences. Also Cherry, just noticed you said you've just handed your NEA in, I'm working on fixing bugs on mine any chance you could check my post and see if you've had a similar problem???
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 8
Why don't you just do Business? 4 a levels makes no difference to your application anyways.
Psychology is A LOT of memorisation but it's relatively simple to understand. You do need to write essays in a short amount of time.
Original post by iiEllaxox
Computer Science is definitely a good pick. It has science in the name but it's nothing like the actual sciences. Also Cherry, just noticed you said you've just handed your NEA in, I'm working on fixing bugs on mine any chance you could check my post and see if you've had a similar problem???
Of course i can have a look, i can't promise that i'll be any hope though 🥲
Original post by Kkkaiii

I would stick with those three subjects and choose an easy 4th subject like Business or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest