The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science or History?

I was thinking of what to do for my GCSE's when two of the most prominent subjects came to mind: Computer Science and History. I currently have no idea whether to pick one or another. My other two options are French and Geography so I have one option left. Coming from an objective standpoint, which subject would you recommend I took for my upcoming exams? I am slightly better at Computer Science, but I don't find it as interesting as history. History, which I enjoy much more is much more appealing to me however from what I have heard there is a lot of knowledge to take on board. It also requires a very good calibre of essay writing which I have not grasped yet, being halfway through year nine. Taking into all main factors such as reputation, difficulty, enjoyment, preferability and content, give me your opinion on which one to pick and state why.
Sorry for sounding like a snobby ****
What subject is worth 2 years of study for you?

Whatever subject you just thought of, pick that one.
Original post by Oneiropólos
What subject is worth 2 years of study for you?

Whatever subject you just thought of, pick that one.

Your picture immediately made me think of History for no apparent reason.
Original post by Prof. Tocher
Your picture immediately made me think of History for no apparent reason.

Yes well, Sean Connery is a mark of Movie History so I get that.

But back to the topic, for your dilemma I recommend the same old advice, pick what you love, what you love studying, so much that you enjoy learning about it even when you’re not at school.
Original post by Prof. Tocher
I was thinking of what to do for my GCSE's when two of the most prominent subjects came to mind: Computer Science and History. I currently have no idea whether to pick one or another. My other two options are French and Geography so I have one option left. Coming from an objective standpoint, which subject would you recommend I took for my upcoming exams? I am slightly better at Computer Science, but I don't find it as interesting as history. History, which I enjoy much more is much more appealing to me however from what I have heard there is a lot of knowledge to take on board. It also requires a very good calibre of essay writing which I have not grasped yet, being halfway through year nine. Taking into all main factors such as reputation, difficulty, enjoyment, preferability and content, give me your opinion on which one to pick and state why.
Sorry for sounding like a snobby ****

it also depends on what you want to study at A levels, if u want do something like psychology at A level history is good cuz it developes your essay writing so they will look at you history grade, it it alot to remember and write so if you dont have an a decent memory dont do it.

computer science is a good subject but if you done like coding or the though of writing code is boring dont bother, there is alos some maths involved so bear that in mind otherwise it all on preferaance, what u might want to in college and what u like
Do History

I actually had a similar problem to you (deciding between history and french). I was better at history, but I prefer French more. In the end, I picked French. Time will tell if that was a good choice because both the French teachers we had before have left, so I hope we get a decent teacher lmao.

Actually computer science was one of my other options xD
Original post by Canyouhelpme123
it also depends on what you want to study at A levels, if u want do something like psychology at A level history is good cuz it developes your essay writing so they will look at you history grade, it it alot to remember and write so if you dont have an a decent memory dont do it.

computer science is a good subject but if you done like coding or the though of writing code is boring dont bother, there is alos some maths involved so bear that in mind otherwise it all on preferaance, what u might want to in college and what u like

But by the way, the maths in computer science is minimal. It involves simple calculations to work out things like binary / hexadecimal.
Original post by Bill Nye
But by the way, the maths in computer science is minimal. It involves simple calculations to work out things like binary / hexadecimal.

yeh i know ive done it, but people who struggle with math will find it hard even if its minimal just cuz computer science isnt a straigh forward subject you got to think logically
comp sci

writeup of coursework is obnoxious but other than that it's fun
Original post by omarathon
comp sci

writeup of coursework is obnoxious but other than that it's fun

ahh, ours got leaked, but we still had to do it but wont get marked
yeh i know ive done it, but people who struggle with math will find it hard even if its minimal just cuz computer science isnt a straigh forward subject you got to think logically

Meh. That's not the case in my class so far, but hey :tongue:
Reply 11
I chose both history and computer science for GCSE and would definitely say that computer science was the easier of the two, as you only have to learn the theory as opposed to learning the knowledge (history also has a LOT more content than computing) AND having to learn to properly structure an essay.However, it's completely subjective and you should definitely chose the option you enjoy the most as you will have to study it for the next two years (possibly even further)
Computer Science is one of those subjects where if you revise for a few days before the exam you’ll be fine. History you might need to do more revision than that because it’s not only knowing the stuff, it’s having the ability to link it all together.
Original post by Conniestitution
Computer Science is one of those subjects where if you revise for a few days before the exam you’ll be fine. History you might need to do more revision than that because it’s not only knowing the stuff, it’s having the ability to link it all together.

i agree to some extent, cuz for computer science you either know it or don't where as history you can get away without knowing everything.
i agree to some extent, cuz for computer science you either know it or don't where as history you can get away without knowing everything.

Yeah. I got a 6 in Computer Science (lowest of my grades and a 9 in History (god knows how) and I felt like I had to put more effort into Computer Science because History information links together and it stuck with me.
Reply 15
Which one should I pick if had to pick 1 for my options either history gcse (edexel) or computer science gcse (OCR) btw I wanna become a pharmacist and for a levels wanna pick chem,bio,psychology even tho I am a science guy I have to pick one which one is better in this case to pick it hate both me history you have to write essays and learn a lot of content same to cs and also learn the basics of how a computer works and write code which is hard and etc in this case which should I go for (better option???)

Original post by username3434964
Do History

I actually had a similar problem to you (deciding between history and french). I was better at history, but I prefer French more. In the end, I picked French. Time will tell if that was a good choice because both the French teachers we had before have left, so I hope we get a decent teacher lmao.

Actually computer science was one of my other options xD

Quick Reply

Latest