The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking alevel Chinese?

I'm deciding between taking A-level Chinese or politics. I want to make sure I only need 3 A-levels for university, right? I'm not really interested in politics since it's not my type of subject. It requires keeping up with the news and involves a lot of essays. Now I'm leaning towards taking Chinese instead. However, if I choose Chinese, can I still study something unrelated to Chinese in university?
Original post by qubvjof
I'm deciding between taking A-level Chinese or politics. I want to make sure I only need 3 A-levels for university, right? I'm not really interested in politics since it's not my type of subject. It requires keeping up with the news and involves a lot of essays. Now I'm leaning towards taking Chinese instead. However, if I choose Chinese, can I still study something unrelated to Chinese in university?

Yes, if you choose Chinese, you can I still study something unrelated to Chinese in university. And yes, you only need 3 A levels (in the vast majority of cases).

Some courses at university don't require that you have studied anything in particular at A level. Others have a particular subject or group of subjects in mind, but don't care about the rest.

For example, if you want to study Computer Science at uni they'll almost certainly want you to have done Maths at A level, but don't mind what else you've studied. For other degree courses, they might mandate "two maths or science subjects", or something like that.

Do you have any idea what you might like to study at uni? Other than Chinese, what A levels will you be doing?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Yes, if you choose Chinese, you can I still study something unrelated to Chinese in university. And yes, you only need 3 A levels (in the vast majority of cases).

Some courses at university don't require that you have studied anything in particular at A level. Others have a particular subject or group of subjects in mind, but don't care about the rest.

For example, if you want to study Computer Science at uni they'll almost certainly want you to have done Maths at A level, but don't mind what else you've studied. For other degree courses, they might mandate "two maths or science subjects", or something like that.

Do you have any idea what you might like to study at uni? Other than Chinese, what A levels will you be doing?

sociology and psychology
Original post by qubvjof
sociology and psychology

sociology is interesting I did that at GCSE level and learnt a lot more about the society and the world through it. I also did Mandarin but below GCSE level. Are you planning to do A level mandarin or cantonese?
Original post by qubvjof
sociology and psychology

Which question was that an answer to? I asked two:

Original post by DataVenia
1. Do you have any idea what you might like to study at uni?
2. Other than Chinese, what A levels will you be doing?

My guess is you're describing your A levels, rather than a joint honours degree.

Without knowledge of what you'd hope to study at uni, I can't comment on how applicable those A levels would be to it, but the combination of Sociology, Psychology and Chinese seems fine to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending