The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Anoint Carolina already, they're too good
Original post by MrDystopia
Broncos defense was on point. @jammy4041 must be hyped as all hell :tongue:

So we have Denver in the Superbowl. Next up, Cards or Panthers.

Why thankyou. Broncos defense was legit.

I'm very proud of this team and their fight. Everyone answered the call. Defense, special teams, and yes, at certain times, on offense. Whatever happens in the superbowl, I'm just happy to get there. As a Bronco, well, the superbowl part doesn't often go well, but we're there. More importantly Darian Stewart and TJ Ward have two weeks to heal. They're crucial to this defense.

Patriots played a heck of a game though. they really did.
Reply 1982
Hello turnovers! Goodnight ball game, I'm too tired for this
Apt.

It's 15-42, and the Panthers just went for a two point.

quicksummmary.jpg

Night, y'all.

* I know it isn't over until the clock hits triple zeroes, but, I think I'm going to take my chances on this one.

edit. yikes. 15-49. after a pick six.
(edited 8 years ago)
Panthers are actually murdering the Cards wow. 49-15.

I really think they'll turn over the Broncos if they're anything like this.
Oh have mercy. Another Carson Palmer pick...
This is humiliation of the highest order.
Original post by MrDystopia
Panthers are actually murdering the Cards wow. 49-15.

I really think they'll turn over the Broncos if they're anything like this.

I have to like our defense vs their offense. I do. The Broncos have the secondary to match up with any set of receivers in the league, and the front seven to compete with any in the league. The stage is set for Cam though. A lot will depend on him.

Our offense vs their defense? Different story though. Peyton will need those two weeks of rest, because he can't be throwing ducks. The run game has to be established and they have to get 150 yards.

And the obvious key, has to be to win the turnover differential. The Cards are minus-seven in this game. There's not a cat in hell's chance of a win, with a turnover differential like that...I mean, Carson Palmer alone has as many turnovers as the Panthers have scored TDs in this game. Yikes.
(edited 8 years ago)
As a Seahawks fan, I can say it was wonderful to see the Patriots being given some hope and then have it snatched away from them in the last seconds. Very good game - not pretty, but the Broncos defence got the job done, the offence did just enough and they had a definite home field advantage.

I saw Panthers get to 17-0 and went to bed, confident that I wasn't going to miss anything that couldn't wait until the NFL highlights videos.

Seattle showed that the Panthers could be stopped with a good defence, and the Broncos have that. What they lack is a dangerous passing game of their own, so I suspect that the Panthers are going to score enough to win.
Reply 1989
Anyone else got the Senior Bowl on? It's pretty fun watching some prospects trying to make some money.
I really can't see the Broncos winning this, but then I didn't really see how they would get past the Pats either.
Reply 1991
Calvin Johnson though 😱

Thoughts? I know he wasn't at his spectacular best this year but look at Fitz; still flashing hard at 32. If it was health then who can blame him but it's still sad to see a real talent go out.
Damn man sad time, at his best one of the most dominant guys I've ever seen. No reason to watch Detroit now
Original post by Wattsy
Calvin Johnson though 😱

Thoughts? I know he wasn't at his spectacular best this year but look at Fitz; still flashing hard at 32. If it was health then who can blame him but it's still sad to see a real talent go out.

There are a lot of freaky receivers in this league now, but this guy was just such a physical freak. Shame he's gone, served me so well in many a fantasy league and provided a wealth of highlights.
Calvin Johnson's year didn't show up in terms of yards or touchdowns, but he was rated extremely highly by Pro Football Focus in their overall wide receiver grades. Ahead of the likes of Allen Robinson for what it's worth.

Damn. Such a shame.
The few times I bothered to watch Detroit play this year Johnson looked pretty good. Fitz looked really quick this year, he must have been as close to 100% healthy as anyone in the NFL. Johnson's game would always rely on physical characteristics, so it's not a huge surprise that injuries and age would take their toll faster. I don't think the Lions would have kept him, and maybe he doesn't want to play elsewhere.
Reply 1996
Original post by jammy4041
Calvin Johnson's year didn't show up in terms of yards or touchdowns, but he was rated extremely highly by Pro Football Focus in their overall wide receiver grades. Ahead of the likes of Allen Robinson for what it's worth.

Damn. Such a shame.

I'm afraid I'm always going to fanboy Robinson so don't understand this grading but Megatron wasn't bad by any stretch this season, his fortunes on the stat sheet worked out a bit like the Lions season.
Pro football hall of fame class is a joke. Again.

NO TERELL DAVIS...AGAIN.
WHEN ARE THE BRONCOS GOING TO GET THEIR DUE IN CANTON?!

There's four from Denver in there. That's it. The winning-est franchise since 1983. There's 20 Vikings in there.

Loved Marvin Harrison, but come on. Terell Owens smoked him. Randy Grandishar will have to wait for the senior committee obviously. The heart and soul of one of the greatest defenses ever created...I can't even.

Stabler is a sympathy correction. Great career, and he deserved to be in sooner. Orlando Pace....definitely deserved. I mean, all are worthy of being in Canton someday, but how long does TD, Atwater and Grandishar have to wait?
I'm still baffled about how the Broncos are even playing tonight. Elite defense + awful offense = no playoffs and turnover in the front office, just about every time. I see very little separating them from last year's Bills or Lions teams. The 2012 Bears are the most comparable team, and while they admittedly finished 10-6 they still missed the playoffs and got their coach fired.
Reply 1999
Chiefs played terrible, Patriots got injured. That's how a team which has a bad offense has made it to the big game.

Quick Reply

Latest