The Student Room Group

Would it be a bad decision to learn two languages at the same time?

I want to study both spanish and Japanese but I've read that to learn more than one language at the same time is a bad idea and they aren't exactly similar
Original post by burrito girl
I want to study both spanish and Japanese but I've read that to learn more than one language at the same time is a bad idea and they aren't exactly similar

At what level? A lot of people study multiple languages at the same time at GCSE and A-Level and cope fine!
It's doable,I'm doing japanese and french
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
At what level? A lot of people study multiple languages at the same time at GCSE and A-Level and cope fine!

I'm not sure just yet, whichever i can at the moment. The colleges in Nottingham don't seem to offer language courses with a degree unless you have studied the language for 2 years already, so thats another thing
Reply 4
Original post by queen-bee
It's doable,I'm doing japanese and french

Thats good to know, at what level are you studying?
I think that if the languages are different, it kind of makes it easier to learn them. When you first start learning them, they might merge into each other which can be frustrating. However these two languages that you want to study are so different I don't think that'll happen :smile: People studying language combinations such as Spanish and French or Italian and Spanish often have a harder time because the languages are so similar, and you can easily mix them up. I study French and German at uni, which differ quite a lot from each other, so I haven't had many problems so far :smile:
Hi! I'm actually studying Spanish, Japanese, Ancient Greek and Latin at the mo, and am planning to take Spanish, Japanese, and Latin to AS/A2 level. I'd say it's really not too bad with two languages - Spanish and Japanese are very, very different and there's not a large chance of getting mixed up with the two. Just make sure you have separate workbooks for each language and take a break between studying the two so you don't get mixed up!
Reply 7
It's not a bad decision at all! Languages are highly sought after and can make you stand out to employers. Having two is great, especially if you feel you're good at languages and have the ability. I especially promote it since I love languages, so might be a bit biased xD. Also they seem too different to mix up and learning both is certainly doable!
Reply 8
I did German and Russian and had no problems whatsoever. Languages are very respected and useful, the more the better!
If you have a natural aptitude for languages and enjoy them, you should definitely take two.
Studying two languages sounds very impressive and we definitely need more people that speak multiple languages. Spanish and Japanese are so different, so I think there will be less confusion than if you were to study Spanish and Italian, per se. You should choose to study subjects that you're really passionate about and would thoroughly enjoy. Choose subjects you're comfortable with doing. You can always learn another language later on.
That's fine.

Spanish and Italian however... :colonhash:
not a problem. I'm doing Japanese and German for A level and for GCSE did 4 languages at the same time without a problem.
Reply 12
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's fine.

Spanish and Italian however... :colonhash:

Lol, I know what you mean. I'm currently learning German and Spanish while trying to stop Italian and French leaking out of my brain. In practice, that means my German is coming on quite well, but everything else has merged into a mess of random Romance languages which are inexorably tangled with one another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Lol, I know what you mean. I'm currently learning German and Spanish while trying to stop Italian and French leaking out of my brain. In practice, that means my German is coming on quite well, but everything else has merged into a mess of random Romance languages which are inexorably tangled with one another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :lol:

Same with me, but my French is still there. Italian has basically died, there was one point it was actually okay, before I did Spanish, but now it's gone to **** :lol: Spanish is okay though

German I just can never start lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending