The Student Room Group

Asylum decision maker/ immigration OAC

Hi guys,

For those struggling to find info in regards to the Online Assessment Day, it isn’t as intimidating as we make it out to me. My advice would be to learn how to ask open and closed questions whilst extracting as much information as possible. Please note: You do NOT need to practice asylum interviews prior to the assessment (role play). In terms of written exercises ensure that you communicate clearly and concisely. If anyone needs further advice drop a reply below👇🏻 Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Thank you this was really helpful. I have mine this afternoon and was feeling so nervous. But this has put me at ease
Reply 2
Not a problem, honestly it wasn’t as bad as I thought but I did struggle to do the written exercise as I wasn’t able to process info as well didn't give a decision in the end which made feel very paranoid but hopefully we pass✅
Same here! I think I waffled too much as well so not concise enough, but now the wait till the 17th April & onwards to find out!
I was surprised about the OAC too it really was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. We were told we would hear back week commencing 24th April but I heard back the next day. Have you guys heard back yet?
Reply 5
Hopefully we can all pull theough🙏

Original post by larleeuk
I was surprised about the OAC too it really was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. We were told we would hear back week commencing 24th April but I heard back the next day. Have you guys heard back yet?
Reply 6
Do you think it’d have a major impact on the decision itself? I just wish we had extra time in all honesty. Would have made a difference but I guess they work on a time slot basis so it is what it is.

Original post by Unknown1997
Same here! I think I waffled too much as well so not concise enough, but now the wait till the 17th April & onwards to find out!
Original post by larleeuk

Wow that’s such a quick response for you! I had mine on the 31st March and was told would likely find out week commencing the 17th April. I’ve applied for the one in leeds
Original post by Unknown_10
Do you think it’d have a major impact on the decision itself? I just wish we had extra time in all honesty. Would have made a difference but I guess they work on a time slot basis so it is what it is.

Yeah I think I allowed myself to be overwhelmed with all the additional information instead of just thinking clearly. Now it’s just a waiting game
Reply 9
Wow that’s such a quick response for you! I had mine on the 31st March and was told would likely find out week commencing the 17th April. I’ve applied for the one in leeds

I have also applied for Leeds hopefully less people applied we all get the role hahaha.

I really was not expecting to hear back so soon. I applied for the Sheffield office. I haven’t had a provisional offer or anything yet, just that I’d passed and then feedback from both sections. Fingers crossed for you!!
Thank you for this. I have my OAC coming up and I’m really nervous about it.
Wishing you all luck and hope you get a job offer soon.
Original post by Chip2022

Best of luck. Honestly try not to worry it isn’t as bad as it sounds. My tip would be when during the role play, do not spend time trying to rush and write everything down that they say from the questions you answer, because you get all the information again (and more) at the written assessment. Make notes if you wish, but don’t worry if you don’t write everything down. focus on eye contact, body language and the questions you ask instead
I have also applied for Leeds hopefully less people applied we all get the role hahaha.

I just had an email saying that I’ve been successful and that I’ll be informed of the next steps! I hope you hear back soon too and it’s good news!
Original post by Chip2022

Good luck! Don’t over stress yourself you’ll be fine no matter what the outcome theres always a second chance👍🏼
Hopefully so! When did you complete your OAC n how do you think you did?

I just had an email saying that I’ve been successful and that I’ll be informed of the next steps! I hope you hear back soon too and it’s good news!
Hopefully so! When did you complete your OAC n how do you think you did?

I had it on 31st march Friday afternoon. I didn’t think I did well at all honestly but then I got my offer today which I was shocked about to have a response so soon
Reply 17
What kind of scenario come in Role play . Is it related to Asylum Scenario or work related scenario .
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Best of luck. Honestly try not to worry it isn’t as bad as it sounds. My tip would be when during the role play, do not spend time trying to rush and write everything down that they say from the questions you answer, because you get all the information again (and more) at the written assessment. Make notes if you wish, but don’t worry if you don’t write everything down. focus on eye contact, body language and the questions you ask instead

What kind of scenario come in Role play . Is it related to Asylum Scenario or work related scenario .
Original post by xp7

You role play with an “actor” you have time to read a document and then you ask questions. Then you have a break and go through the information for the written task 25 mins timed and you write an email to your “manager” and base your decision off info from the role play and the written task. You get all the information and more for the written task so don’t worry about having to remember everything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending