The Student Room Group

Can anyone give me revision tips?

I've recently sat a mock exam in psychology but failed. I got 6/60 and this has extremely lowered my self asteem.
Anyway, since having a talk with my psychology tutor i have been doing extra revision sessions with him. however, not all the stuff i'm covering seems to make sense. I'm studying PSYB3 Social development, Schizophrenia and mood disorders and Forensic psychology. I've tried re writing my notes and answering previous exam questions but these seem to be getting boring now. Any other ideas on ways to revise? Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by sickitslucy
I've recently sat a mock exam in psychology but failed. I got 6/60 and this has extremely lowered my self asteem.
Anyway, since having a talk with my psychology tutor i have been doing extra revision sessions with him. however, not all the stuff i'm covering seems to make sense. I'm studying PSYB3 Social development, Schizophrenia and mood disorders and Forensic psychology. I've tried re writing my notes and answering previous exam questions but these seem to be getting boring now. Any other ideas on ways to revise? Thankyou

That is pretty bad score - truth is I don't think you revised at all :cool: because you really wouldn't be scoring that if you did :redface:
For revision - you should try make acronyms for each essay and it helps a lot and triggers information quickly
Also, practise re-writing essays over and over again so you get used to the structure of your essays
Hope that helps :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Mary562
That is pretty bad score - truth is I don't think you revised at all :cool: because you really wouldn't be scoring that if you did :redface:
For revision - you should try make acronyms for each essay and it helps a lot and triggers information quickly
Also, practise re-writing essays over and over again so you get used to the structure of your essays
Hope that helps :h:

I revised about 10 hours a week for it, given 3 weeks notice, plus class time:smile:)
Thanks anyway
Reply 3
Original post by sickitslucy
I revised about 10 hours a week for it, given 3 weeks notice, plus class time:smile:)
Thanks anyway

:eek: Really and you got that score? I think you need to devise a new way to revise cause it's obviously not working
You could try a few things:

- Re-writing notes into a format thats easier for you to comprehend

- Make note cards on subject areas (this works wonders for me because I break things down into small pieces - i.e. have one note card for each definition, one for all the studies aims/procedures/results/conclusions)

- Mindmaps and colour code topics

- Exam questions are boring to do but they do help to learn patterns and structures - maybe you could do one of the following revision techniques for a small topic and then answer a couple of past paper questions on them?

- I find it useful to watch relatable documentaries whilst making my notes, this helps to understand concepts easier (theres some great ones for mental health issues!)

- For the 12 mark questions, you could spend some time structuring practice essay plans and include theorists and studies to support this. You'll be revising whilst looking up information at the same time as well :smile:

- Also keep reading the specification for your course - by consistently seeing what you need to know you'll subconsciously think about these topic areas and you'll know directly which information is relevant.

Hope this helps, message me if you need anything else :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending