The Student Room Group

People who have done A Levels - what are your BEST TIPS for the start of Y12?

Hi!!
Starting A levels (bio chem psych + epq) this Sep.
If you're doing/have done A Levels, what are your BEST tips + advice for Y12??
Alsoo if you're applying to dentistry/are a dental student, what would you say I could do to start strengthening my application?? Dentistry is definitely the career path to me, so if anyone's got any kind of advice on how to increase my chances of getting in it would be appreciated.
Thank youu
Original post by ros11
Hi!!
Alsoo if you're applying to dentistry/are a dental student, what would you say I could do to start strengthening my application?? Dentistry is definitely the career path to me, so if anyone's got any kind of advice on how to increase my chances of getting in it would be appreciated.
Thank youu

Hi, I did the same subjects as you apart from an epq. Ngl I didn't revise alot throughout my 2 years except the last few months but I'll give you some tips based on the stuff I regret I didnt do. With these subjects I really recommend you don't do what I did. I'm sure you have more brain cells than me and are already aware this is a really bad idea especially with the chosen subjects. My best tip would be to definitely go over the content the same day you learn it. This makes everything so much easier in the long run. However, especially throughout your first few months don't overload yourself with revision. Take time to make friends and stuff too because college does get lonely easily (unless you're going to your high schools sixth form ofc). After Christmas probably start with more consistent revision e.g testing yourself with flashcards. However one thing you cant do is use up all the exam questions online before your second year. Exam questions are fundamental for your last few months in college for A Level revision so its best if you only use a couple sets prior. Also idk if this will be the same for you but biology was my hardest subject and I wasnt expecting this at all. There is just so so so much content to learn so as I said before make sure you just go over the content the same day you learn it. Also please don't worry too much either because Im sure youll find yourself a good revision schedule that youll stick to when you start college. Good luck with everything and hopefully someone can help you with the dentistry questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dadadeedadada
Hi, I did the same subjects as you apart from an epq. Ngl I didn't revise alot throughout my 2 years except the last few months but I'll give you some tips based on the stuff I regret I didnt do. With these subjects I really recommend you don't do what I did. I'm sure you have more brain cells than me and are already aware this is a really bad idea especially with the chosen subjects. My best tip would be to definitely go over the content the same day you learn it. This makes everything so much easier in the long run. However, especially throughout your first few months don't overload yourself with revision. Take time to make friends and stuff too because college does get lonely easily (unless you're going to your high schools sixth form ofc). After Christmas probably start with more consistent revision e.g testing yourself with flashcards. However one thing you cant do is use up all the exam questions online before your second year. Exam questions are fundamental for your last few months in college for A Level revision so its best if you only use a couple sets prior. Also idk if this will be the same for you but biology was my hardest subject and I wasnt expecting this at all. There is just so so so much content to learn so as I said before make sure you just go over the content the same day you learn it. Also please don't worry too much either because Im sure youll find yourself a good revision schedule that youll stick to when you start college. Good luck with everything and hopefully someone can help you with the dentistry questions :smile:

ahh tysm!! that's really helpful - I will definitely keep that stuff in mind then :smile:
Original post by ros11
Hi!!
Thank youu

Hey @ros11, how are you? :smile:

Whilst I can't give specific advice for dentistry, I can offer some advice for starting year 12! I'd say keep on top of your notes, so use separate notebooks and folders for each subjects so you're on top of your organisation. Make use of free time, get on top of any work, but also make sure you're giving yourself breaks and looking after your mental health and wellbeing. What are your hobbies? Because they'll help you feel relaxed during stressful periods during your studies.

You could think about starting some study groups with your friends to motivate each other to keep on top of your work too. Give yourself enough time to do work so you're not racing against the clock, and don't compare yourself to other people, your best is all you can do :smile:

Good luck with your A-Level studies, I'm sure you'll smash it!

Becky
Original post by ros11
ahh tysm!! that's really helpful - I will definitely keep that stuff in mind then :smile:

You're welcome!! Good Luck, make sure you enjoy it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey @ros11, how are you? :smile:

Whilst I can't give specific advice for dentistry, I can offer some advice for starting year 12! I'd say keep on top of your notes, so use separate notebooks and folders for each subjects so you're on top of your organisation. Make use of free time, get on top of any work, but also make sure you're giving yourself breaks and looking after your mental health and wellbeing. What are your hobbies? Because they'll help you feel relaxed during stressful periods during your studies.

You could think about starting some study groups with your friends to motivate each other to keep on top of your work too. Give yourself enough time to do work so you're not racing against the clock, and don't compare yourself to other people, your best is all you can do :smile:

Good luck with your A-Level studies, I'm sure you'll smash it!

Becky

thank you Becky that's really helpful! good luck with whatever you're planning to do in the future too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest