The Student Room Group

Parents contribution to Uni - Help?

Scroll to see replies

aoxa - I think you are confusing the student loan with the maintenance grant.

Everyone can apply for a loan ...

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/loans-and-grants
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
I've since spoken to my parents and I'm likely to have about £400-460 a month to live off which is quite comfortable. I can add to this with my savings need be.

I've lived in London all my life and found that £500 pounds will feed, clothe and generally take care of 3 people for a month excluding housing/rent and water/gas bills. It's a tight budget but it can be done. You are going to be fine. Keep receipts, check your online bank account regularly to make sure you're not overspending. But if you've got £400 to live off you'll probably make it. If you decide to ask your Dad (mine's a tight guy who wouldn't pay maintenance willingly either), introduce the subject of how expensive London is and then present your argument as clearly as you did here. Can't promise it'll work but it seems worth a try.
The amounts you mentioned (£400-£600) a month are more than enough. I only spend between £100-£150 a month. Fair enough I'm not in London, but your money will be more than enough. I don't think it's necessary to ask for the extra money from your dad.
Original post by Quady
Offer a BJ?

Ask during BJ?
Yeah it's basically this. However, it's not a loan it is a grant. To which many students will receive a sum of £3000-5000 which I am not entitled to based on household income. :tongue:

This is not true, everybody is entitled to a maintenance loan from the student loans company. If your parents' household income is high then you will receive the minimum (compared to others who will receive higher amounts the less their parents earn), but you will still receive a loan. You can get up to to £7,751 per year studying full time in London, but you'll probably get closer to £5,000 because it is still partly household income based.

Obviously you will not qualify for a grant. The only difference is you have to pay back the loan, where the grant would have been free.

Original post by Lwin
I've lived in London all my life and found that £500 pounds will feed, clothe and generally take care of 3 people for a month excluding housing/rent and water/gas bills. It's a tight budget but it can be done. You are going to be fine. Keep receipts, check your online bank account regularly to make sure you're not overspending. But if you've got £400 to live off you'll probably make it. If you decide to ask your Dad (mine's a tight guy who wouldn't pay maintenance willingly either), introduce the subject of how expensive London is and then present your argument as clearly as you did here. Can't promise it'll work but it seems worth a try.

Appreciate that you're able to relate to my situation. If that's for 3 people then realistically I'm probably going to be fine. I have since spoken with my dad about it, it was a mixed response but he saw reason in what I was saying. Thank you:redface:

Original post by llamaspoon
The amounts you mentioned (£400-£600) a month are more than enough. I only spend between £100-£150 a month. Fair enough I'm not in London, but your money will be more than enough. I don't think it's necessary to ask for the extra money from your dad.

Hmm okay, I'm glad I've received different opinions from different people because it gives some perspective to the situation. I think the £400 a month will be more than enough based on this thread. Anything above and beyond that would just be a bonus, I guess. :smile:
Original post by seaholme
This is not true, everybody is entitled to a maintenance loan from the student loans company. If your parents' household income is high then you will receive the minimum (compared to others who will receive higher amounts the less their parents earn), but you will still receive a loan. You can get up to to £7,751 per year studying full time in London, but you'll probably get closer to £5,000 because it is still partly household income based.

Obviously you will not qualify for a grant. The only difference is you have to pay back the loan, where the grant would have been free.

Yes, I am aware that there is both a maintenance loan and a maintenance grant. I was just clarifying to the quoted poster that the figure in question was the maintenance grant as opposed to the loan.

I appreciate your link to the information, I am not entitled to a grant. A.k.a. £0 :colone:
Have you actually sat down and made a rough budget? I lived on £80 a week and found it was plenty to live on. And that was even with going to football once a week, which was, depending on where I went, anything up to £15 a week.
Yes, I am aware that there is both a maintenance loan and a maintenance grant. I was just clarifying to the quoted poster that the figure in question was the maintenance grant as opposed to the loan.

I appreciate your link to the information, I am not entitled to a grant. A.k.a. £0 :colone:

Sorry I thought you were confused because your original post makes it sound like you don't qualify for any government money when actually you qualify for more than you're asking your dad for [should you choose to take it].

It just seems weird you saying you're going to be strapped for cash when you're ignoring your average student's main source of £££ for the year! But suit yourself.
Living in London is still expensive - I go to UCL and budget myself to about £40/£50 a week, I rarely spend all that though and I put aside the extra for special occasions when I might need to spend more i.e. going out. Rent for me is about £200, most peoples range from £150-£230. I don't know what the minimum loan is for London but I assume it's about £5000, which won't cover your rent, in which case you may need to ask for money.

My dad gives me money, and I know a lot of my friends have parental help too so don't feel too bad. One of my friends didn't even apply for a student load so his parents pay his rent on top of him giving him £600 a month.
Hey! Well basically, the loan you make reference to is wiped out by the university accommodation because it's so expensive. My parents are actually paying an additional £2000 on top of that loan to cover the accommodation before living expenses even comes into it.

I've since spoken to my parents and I'm likely to have about £400-460 a month to live off which is quite comfortable. I can add to this with my savings need be.

I may come across as somewhat entitled to the additional funding from my Dad, the reason is.. For maintenance towards his two children he should be paying triple what he does for me and my sister. So in essence, the money he gives us for university is what he should be giving my mother as maintenance. It's her kind gesture to forward that to me and my sister.

ah okay, I misunderstood and thought that what your parents gave you was literally all you had to live on, including paying for accommodation... in that case your income should be fine, even in London, providing you're relatively sensible (i.e. don't blow it all on designer clothes + holidays)

okay, I mean despite what you feel like he 'owes' and whether it is fair or not, if I was your dad I'd be annoyed if you came asking for more and I would think it quite rude...
My daughter is at uni - she worked during her alevels and saved about a thousand. she has student loan and grants due to our household income - i do online shops for her and she sometimes asks for top ups for her uni card(for eating in the canteen etc).
before she went to uni i started to put aside buy one get one free basics such as pasta, tins of food , non perishable foods etc for her - also bought her toiletries and cleaning products and storage boxes for under her bed.- she is self catering at uni.Her room is lovely in her halls . regarding finance this is what she get :

maintenance loan £6731 and maintenance grant £2041.
22/09 - £680 from grant and £2221.23 from loan go into account
03/10 - £2160.64 paid to uni accommodation
12/01 - £680 from grant and £2221.23 from loan go into account
16/01 - £2306.85 paid to uni accommodation
27/04 - £681 from grant and £2288.54 from loan go into account
01/05 - £1054.56 paid to uni accommodation
Original post by aoxa
Loans are calculated on household income. If OPs household income is larger than x amount, they won't be entitled to a loan.

If you're a typical UK resident you will.

One of my kids is at Uni in London, another elsewhere. We don't bother putting income on the application to SF because they're only entitled to the minimum, which this year for London is a loan of about £4,500.

Now it's up to your parents OP, but what I do with both my kids is pay for their accommodation (which in London is not cheap - and note that what you save by living further out costs more in transport - halls in first year weren't too bad, but private rental after that gets more expensive) and let them keep their loan to pay for everything else. I know other parents in the same position who take the same approach.
You will be able to get a loan that should pretty much cover your accommodation, and the £300 a month extra should definitely be enough to make up the shortfall and then leave you with enough to live on. Not many students live a life of luxury!

Perhaps get a job over the summer, or even once you get to uni? That should help. I was a student guide for open days which added about £30 a month to my budget, so that was handy.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You will be able to get a loan that should pretty much cover your accommodation, and the £300 a month extra should definitely be enough to make up the shortfall and then leave you with enough to live on. Not many students live a life of luxury!

Perhaps get a job over the summer, or even once you get to uni? That should help. I was a student guide for open days which added about £30 a month to my budget, so that was handy.

Sadly in London the loan you get once your household income is above hte threshold is not enough to pay for accommodation - hard to pay less than about £150/wk including transport, and you usually have to pay for 52 weeks. However, the OP's parents do seem to be providing him with enough to live on - sounds like his first yr accommodation costs about 6.5 k, he gets a loan of 4.5, they are giving him another 6.3k (2k towards acommodation and then 300+60 per month) and that should be enough to live on in London - in halls utilities etc are covered. If I were the OP I would start saving towards next yr, and start negotiating for increased contributions next yr...when accommodation will cost 7 to 8k plus utilities. If you get extra off your non-resident dad - put in a savings account!
Original post by cheshiremum
Sadly in London the loan you get once your household income is above hte threshold is not enough to pay for accommodation - hard to pay less than about £150/wk including transport, and you usually have to pay for 52 weeks.

I don't know of anyone whose had to pay for 52 weeks. And the transport in London really isn't that expensive. (I lived there for a year and the bus is much cheaper than it is where I am now, for example)
Original post by cheshiremum
Sadly in London the loan you get once your household income is above hte threshold is not enough to pay for accommodation - hard to pay less than about £150/wk including transport, and you usually have to pay for 52 weeks. However, the OP's parents do seem to be providing him with enough to live on - sounds like his first yr accommodation costs about 6.5 k, he gets a loan of 4.5, they are giving him another 6.3k (2k towards acommodation and then 300+60 per month) and that should be enough to live on in London - in halls utilities etc are covered. If I were the OP I would start saving towards next yr, and start negotiating for increased contributions next yr...when accommodation will cost 7 to 8k plus utilities. If you get extra off your non-resident dad - put in a savings account!

Found this really helpful, thanks so much for your input and advice. I feel a lot better about my circumstances now than I did when I first made the thread. I'm making the decision whether to contribute £1200 (per year) out of my own pocket for the en-suite or whether to have a shared bathroom room. Based on your advice, it might be wise to save that money instead!

Original post by OU Student
I don't know of anyone whose had to pay for 52 weeks. And the transport in London really isn't that expensive. (I lived there for a year and the bus is much cheaper than it is where I am now, for example)

You must tell me where you found short tenancies in private accommodation - not being funny I'd really like to know, I probably have another two years to fund...The only places we saw with shorter tenancies were Unite, but they were much more expensive than private rented to begin with, so not a real saving.
My point about transport isn't that London is expensive relative to other places - it's that to save much on your rent you need to incur additional travel costs, and they tend to balance out. (There's also the time spent travelling if you're in Zone 3 or further, say.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending