The Student Room Group

Paying board

How much board should I be paying ? I’m living at home for the summer so about 5 months - I don’t have a job I’m trying to find one no luck - and I’ve been told I need to pay board, I don’t mind paying just I have no source of income - I help around the house like cleaning and pick my brother up from school , I only actually live there 4-5 times a week I don’t eat the food that’s in the house I only go home to sleep really however my sister who is 1 year younger than me lives there full time and has a job but doesn’t pay Board
Reply 1
I’m all for making a token contribution to the household budget, especially if summer is going to last 5 months, but if your sister doesn’t and you don’t as yet have a job, I don’t see how you can pay anything.
I’d start by getting a job, and then go from there. Once you know know much take home pay you’ll be getting you can work out how much you’ll need to put on one side to complement your student loan and make your time at uni doable. Then, once you know what the remaining will be you can negotiate with your parents so that you have enough for a reasonable social life and they think that you are contributing to the upkeep of the house. If as you say you are not emptying the fridge and larder, you staying at home amounts to a couple of washing machine cycles a week, so unless they are in financial difficulty and really do need some help, you should be able to come to an agreement that you’re all « happy » with. But in this case your sister should be contributing as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending