The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Sept 2024 start financial worries

Hi there :smile: I've been helping my younger cousin explore her options for university with a Sept 2024 start and shes really concerned about being able to support herself financially.

Luckily, there are a few good local unis (Brighton included!) that rank well for her chosen course so although she ideally wants to be able to live away from home, she might commute instead to saves costs.

She wants to do teaching with QTS.

She doesn't live in a particularly well off area so I did check to see what polar quintile she is in to scout out any bursaries, but she is in PQ3 - PQ2 is like across the road from her - mad how it works sometimes....

It's also problematic when it comes to her student finance maintenance loan and grant. As with most households these days, your household income isn't away directly relevant. In her case, her mums new partner now lives with them but does not contribute towards 'her' kids as he has his own x2. They keep finances very separate as he is not yet divorced from his previous wife. So although my cousins mum supports her financially exclusively, the household income is taken into account so she can't maximise the maintenance side of SFE.

My cousin currently works, and intends to continue to work part time with the same company through her studies so that's really positive. And I've talked her though the student bank accounts with the overdrafts and when they'd need paying back and so on.

So a few questions please ...

1. Is there anything the university is currently doing to help those struggling financially to get to your Autumn open days?

2. Does the university have any helpful budgeting tools or blogs?

3. Do you think there are any funds she might be able to tap into when at uni? I too supported myself through uni (I went to brighton actually!!) and I remember when I couldn't afford the bus into Falmer, my tutor accessed a hardship fund for me. Anything on this I could share to reassure her?

4. Plus any other initiatives or relevant advice you have been giving future students and their parents, perhaps around accommodation etc would be much appreciated.

I'm going to sit with her this weekend and go through her expected monthly budgets and try turn this dream into a reality for her. Thanks in advance for any advice and quick links to helpful bits! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there :smile: I've been helping my younger cousin explore her options for university with a Sept 2024 start and shes really concerned about being able to support herself financially.

Luckily, there are a few good local unis (Brighton included!) that rank well for her chosen course so although she ideally wants to be able to live away from home, she might commute instead to saves costs.

She wants to do teaching with QTS.

She doesn't live in a particularly well off area so I did check to see what polar quintile she is in to scout out any bursaries, but she is in PQ3 - PQ2 is like across the road from her - mad how it works sometimes....

It's also problematic when it comes to her student finance maintenance loan and grant. As with most households these days, your household income isn't away directly relevant. In her case, her mums new partner now lives with them but does not contribute towards 'her' kids as he has his own x2. They keep finances very separate as he is not yet divorced from his previous wife. So although my cousins mum supports her financially exclusively, the household income is taken into account so she can't maximise the maintenance side of SFE.

My cousin currently works, and intends to continue to work part time with the same company through her studies so that's really positive. And I've talked her though the student bank accounts with the overdrafts and when they'd need paying back and so on.

So a few questions please ...

1. Is there anything the university is currently doing to help those struggling financially to get to your Autumn open days?

2. Does the university have any helpful budgeting tools or blogs?

3. Do you think there are any funds she might be able to tap into when at uni? I too supported myself through uni (I went to brighton actually!!) and I remember when I couldn't afford the bus into Falmer, my tutor accessed a hardship fund for me. Anything on this I could share to reassure her?

4. Plus any other initiatives or relevant advice you have been giving future students and their parents, perhaps around accommodation etc would be much appreciated.

I'm going to sit with her this weekend and go through her expected monthly budgets and try turn this dream into a reality for her. Thanks in advance for any advice and quick links to helpful bits! :smile:

Hi :biggrin:

Thanks for getting in touch, we completely understand how funding Uni can be daunting for new students!

Please feel free to check out our Money Advice Blog which has loads of helpful info such as budgeting advice and bursary information.

Our Student Advice team are a dedicated team who offer detailed information on bursaries and other funding available at the University of Brighton. Their main telephone number is 01273 642888 and this phone line is open 9.30am 4.30pm Monday to Friday. You can also leave a message outside these times and they will call you back :smile:

You can also contact the team by email: [email protected] but please include your phone number as often it is easier to answer your questions over the phone.

Extra funding is available for students who are experiencing financial difficulty as a result of their circumstances, such as the hardship fund. You can see full details of these additional funding options here.

Some additional helpful webpages are our Budgeting for Student Life and Working While you Study pages.

I would recommend your cousin gets in touch with our accommodation team directly who are always happy to help with accommodation advice. Including finding affordable private accommodation in Brighton. The team can be contacted on 01273 644100 or [email protected]

Advice for parents and carers can also be found on our website here: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/applying-to-brighton/advice-for-parents-and-carers/index.aspx

In regards to the open days, unfortunately we are unable to offer financial help for travel due to the number of guests to the events. We still hope your cousin is able to make it as we'd love to meet her and our student advice team will also be available on the day to meet her in person :h:

I hope this is helpful! If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to get back in contact! :biggrin:

All the best,
Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep :nyan:
(edited 8 months ago)
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending