The Student Room Group

Paying rent at home

Hi, so Im finishing uni and I will be moving back home. Now once I get a job I have decided myself that I will be paying rent even though my parents have never asked me to nor expect me to. This is for the bills and not for them to secretly save. I’m just not sure how much. Just as an example if my monthly salary after tax is £2000, after taking my own personal bills, money for savings, car stuff and transport to work. Do you think £200 a month is enough. I am open to all suggestions and recommendations. Just looking for different perspectives.
Reply 1
Original post by Stressat15
Hi, so Im finishing uni and I will be moving back home. Now once I get a job I have decided myself that I will be paying rent even though my parents have never asked me to nor expect me to. This is for the bills and not for them to secretly save. I’m just not sure how much. Just as an example if my monthly salary after tax is £2000, after taking my own personal bills, money for savings, car stuff and transport to work. Do you think £200 a month is enough. I am open to all suggestions and recommendations. Just looking for different perspectives.

It would depend on the bills but £200 should be alright.
Reply 2

Given you didnt manage to secure a job before graduation why do you think you'll get a job on £28k?
Reply 3
Original post by Quady
Given you didnt manage to secure a job before graduation why do you think you'll get a job on £28k?

In my field that’s the the base pay. Plus I’m giving an example of a salary not saying I will get it.
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
It would depend on the bills but £200 should be alright.

Yh. As someone who is living away from home for uni I spend about that much on food shopping for myself and washing. Just looking at what others think is appropriate at that pay as an example.
Reply 5
Yh. As someone who is living away from home for uni I spend about that much on food shopping for myself and washing. Just looking at what others think is appropriate at that pay as an example.

But presumably as you're not at uni you pay no council tax?

But presumably you do pay energy bills?
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
But presumably as you're not at uni you pay no council tax?

But presumably you do pay energy bills?

My accommodation includes energy bills and I don’t pay council tax. To be honest im not bothered what my parents put the money to use for. it’s up to them what they want to do with it. It just an amount that I will contribute as they are both unable to work and therefore I want to make sure they can at least not worry if any house repair emergencies come up or if one months things are tight due to this cost of living crisis. hope that makes more sense.
Reply 7

I'm in the exact same position as you, my parents would expect me to contribute something towards the energy bills and the mortgage. I think this is very thoughtful and considerate of you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ðeggs
I'm in the exact same position as you, my parents would expect me to contribute something towards the energy bills and the mortgage. I think this is very thoughtful and considerate of you :smile:

They have helped me out a lot even when they didn’t need to so it’s only right I contribute to the household I live in. I think I decided £300 a month is adequate based of that salary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending