The Student Room Group

minimum loan struggling

i'm on minimum loan and not getting a lot of help from my parents, compared to other peoples parents sending them money all the time or paying for their accommodation. i feel like i don't know anyone in my situation, everyone i know is either on the maximum or is really supported by their parents and i literally feel so frustrated, i had a gap year purely to work and i still feel like im struggling :frown: i literally don't know what to do does anyone have any advice, i literally feel helpless. i will work in the holidays and stuff but i don't think that's enough to support me, my loan is 5k less than the maximum which is like insane to me. im planning on getting a job but its just so frustrating that most people can purely focus on uni and i have to work too. i feel like ive kinda been ignored by the system, it obviously makes sense that lower income people should get more support but my parents just aren't helping out like the government expects them to and i didnt expect to be the only person feeling like this
Have you explained to your parents that your loan is £5k lower because the government expects them to contribute £5k?

Why aren’t they contributing? They must be on very high incomes if you’re getting the minimum loan.
Original post by Hbdgduekalf
i'm on minimum loan and not getting a lot of help from my parents, compared to other peoples parents sending them money all the time or paying for their accommodation. i feel like i don't know anyone in my situation, everyone i know is either on the maximum or is really supported by their parents and i literally feel so frustrated, i had a gap year purely to work and i still feel like im struggling :frown: i literally don't know what to do does anyone have any advice, i literally feel helpless. i will work in the holidays and stuff but i don't think that's enough to support me, my loan is 5k less than the maximum which is like insane to me. im planning on getting a job but its just so frustrating that most people can purely focus on uni and i have to work too. i feel like ive kinda been ignored by the system, it obviously makes sense that lower income people should get more support but my parents just aren't helping out like the government expects them to and i didnt expect to be the only person feeling like this

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're in this situation. I understand how much of a challenge this can be and have worked throughout my degree to help with my living costs. I recommend trying to explain to your parents if you have that type of relationship. However, there is no formal requirement. I'd recommend trying to balance working (check out opportunities with your university or student union for flexible student jobs) with having a solid budget and planning your finances. This can include meal prep, seeking out the best accommodation deal and limiting spending - this can feel unfair but keep in mind that this means you will be in less debt after you graduate and these are great life skills to learn early!

I hope this helps a little.

Best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending