The Student Room Group

Is Maths A-level compulsory for a degree in astrophysics?

I have a huge interest in physics, as well as biology and chemistry. I'm taking all three at A-level, along with english literature.
I really want to go into a physics based career, more specifically astrophysics- it's my dream to end up working with CERN or NASA, though since they're fairly far-fetched, anything of the like.
Im not good at maths and that really puts a block on my dreams, so i'm wanting to know whether physics A-level alone will get me into a career like the one above.
I would look at uni requirements for astrophysics but I have a feeling that you will need to have maths- it would be very helpful as well! :smile:
Without maths to atleast A-level I don't think you have much of a shot tbh.=/ As harsh as this sounds, maths is an essential part of astrophsyics theory. If you are interested in the non-technical side of physics (which it seems) then maybe apply to mid-tier unis. Top unis even suggest (or imply) further maths is a want. If you are aiming at mid-to low tier unis I think you should be alright.
I hope you achieve your dreams, good luck :smile:
Pretty much, yes. I can't say I've ever seen a physics course at a good university that doesn't demand maths A level (or equivalent). The maths involved in a physics degree needs you to understand calculus. Arguably a high grade in maths is more beneficial than a high grade in physics at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrashid98
I have a huge interest in physics, as well as biology and chemistry. I'm taking all three at A-level, along with english literature.
I really want to go into a physics based career, more specifically astrophysics- it's my dream to end up working with CERN or NASA, though since they're fairly far-fetched, anything of the like.
Im not good at maths and that really puts a block on my dreams, so i'm wanting to know whether physics A-level alone will get me into a career like the one above.

Hm, I doubt it, because while it make be doable to find a university and career path which does not need a lot of Math, the Math done at A Level is really basic concerning any valuable engineering (astronautics) and physic degree. You will pretty soon not be able to calculate what is demanded by you in exams. Maybe there are courses with a foundation year, which gives you more possibilities to get at the level of the others and more time. I do understand that the all A/A* requirements today are quite harsh and in my eyes not necessary (unless A Levels would really be extremely easy), so just work hard and have a plan B, but don't give up on Math.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending