The Student Room Group

summer internships for physics

Hello, Im in my first year of my physics degree and I really want to do a paid summer internship but a lot of the ones Ive found online are for 2nd years and above, does anyone have tips on how to get one?
Reply 1
Original post by janeeta.b
Hello, Im in my first year of my physics degree and I really want to do a paid summer internship but a lot of the ones Ive found online are for 2nd years and above, does anyone have tips on how to get one?

Check gradcracker, there are some available with MBDA, but there could be more later:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/all-disciplines/engineering-work-placements-internships?duration=Summer%20-%20open%20to%201st%20years

I suggest still applying for the ones that say it's for 2nd year students, you don't lose anything by applying and you may get an offer still. Even if you get rejected, at least you'll familiarise yourself with the application process and potentially do a few interviews, which will help you perform better in your 2nd year when you're going to be applying for placements again.

Also, don't limit yourself to physics only, any technical subject experience is well worth it.

All the best,
Al
Reply 2
Original post by ThatguyAl
Check gradcracker, there are some available with MBDA, but there could be more later:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/all-disciplines/engineering-work-placements-internships?duration=Summer%20-%20open%20to%201st%20years

I suggest still applying for the ones that say it's for 2nd year students, you don't lose anything by applying and you may get an offer still. Even if you get rejected, at least you'll familiarise yourself with the application process and potentially do a few interviews, which will help you perform better in your 2nd year when you're going to be applying for placements again.

Also, don't limit yourself to physics only, any technical subject experience is well worth it.

All the best,
Al

Hi.
Interesting to see your suggestion (applying even in 1st yr). Have you heard about such cases or have you done so yourself?
Reply 3
Original post by Miki M
Hi.
Interesting to see your suggestion (applying even in 1st yr). Have you heard about such cases or have you done so yourself?

I did this myself back when I was about to finish my 1st year. I wish I could say I was successful, but no 😀 Back then my CV was quite poor as were my communication skills. However I still made it to the final interview with Siemens for their technology summer internship and was told I was 2nd top candidate. This was simply because they needed someone who knew a certain programming language, which I didn't know at all, so all good.
I also applied to less than 5 jobs back then, and it makes sense, just judging by the number of applications, since my success rate later in my 2nd year was about 1 offer per 10 applications, which improved to 1 offer per 5 applications in my final year.
This improvement was not just because of the level of education I was in but mostly due to how I became better at performing well in interviews. In hindsight, I'm sure if I had applied to at least a few dozen summer internships in my 1st year, I would've gotten at least 1 offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending