The Student Room Group

Sexual Health Nurse

Hello all! So right now I am doing my A levels: Chemisty Biology and Psychology. And this year I will going to university to study Biomedical science. I love biomed, the course content and the future job prospects, however I also have a drive for sexual health. I really want to be a sexual health nurse aswell. The nurses that greet patients in their office, talk to them about their symptoms and take blood samples, swabs etc. To become a sexual health nurse will I have to do a sepereate degree after my Biomedical degree (approved by IBMS with HCPC). Or can I just go straight into training?

It would be helpful if anyone is a sexual health nurse that can shed some light. Thanks!
Original post by Samuel745
Hello all! So right now I am doing my A levels: Chemisty Biology and Psychology. And this year I will going to university to study Biomedical science. I love biomed, the course content and the future job prospects, however I also have a drive for sexual health. I really want to be a sexual health nurse aswell. The nurses that greet patients in their office, talk to them about their symptoms and take blood samples, swabs etc. To become a sexual health nurse will I have to do a sepereate degree after my Biomedical degree (approved by IBMS with HCPC). Or can I just go straight into training?

It would be helpful if anyone is a sexual health nurse that can shed some light. Thanks!

You don't need biomed to become a sexual health nurse, if you have a passion for it by all means study it, but to become a nurse you have to study nursing at university. There are postgrad routes into nursing such as PGDip courses and masters courses so you could do this following biomed if you wanted to.

As for getting into sexual health nursing you basically have to be successful in getting a job in a clinic. That's it. No real dark art to it. Having experience in a speciality such as gynae, infectious diseases or an assessment area would probably give you an advantage in applying for this area of practice. I'm sure there are others about who may have some more suggestions too :smile:

Edit: Another suggestion I've just thought of for you, is you could study nursing as an undergrad, try and get work in the area of practice you want then go on and undertake further study in that area of practice. It's possible that your employer will pay for this study as well as the learning you undertake would be beneficial to your patients.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending