The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing Placements

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has a list of what types of placement are mandatory for adult nursing in Scotland. For example mental health, community.

And also, does anyone know if 5 weeks health visiting placement would count as a community placement.

Thanks.
Original post by Lauramckenna7
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has a list of what types of placement are mandatory for adult nursing in Scotland. For example mental health, community.

And also, does anyone know if 5 weeks health visiting placement would count as a community placement.

Thanks.

Hi Laura ☺️☺️

Unfortunately nobody can give you exact details of placements because there's so many different variations of placements in adult nursing.

You could be doing A&E, outpatient department, day surgery ward, critical care unit, GP surgeries etc etc.

A NHS Scotland dual adult nurse and midwife
Reply 2
Original post by Lauramckenna7
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Laura,
There isn't really anything specific that classes as a mandatory placement area - the NMC says you have to do a range of placements, have exposure to a range of shifts/24 hour care, and complete 2300 hours of placement. It's vague, I know, but it means that students get a range of practice placement experiences in whichever branch they're studying. Basically, as a student adult nurse, you'll get placements in areas where adult nurses work; you might get a child, mental health or LD placement in 1st year (as an adult nurse, I had a placement with a local school immunisations team in my 1st year; I've known other adult nurse students be sent to the EMI unit at the local mental health hospital in 1st year).

Yes, health visitors is a community placement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending