The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing Uniforms For Student Nurses On Work Placement.

What is a student nurse in mental health expected to wear on placement?

I'm aware that registered mental health nurses don't have uniform like scrubs, but are expected to dress smart and respect the bare-below-elbow policy. But do student nurses get to wear their own clothes on placement in mental health, or do they wear something specific to differentiate themselves from registered mental health nurses. What's something you recommend I wear on placement as a student mental health nurse? I'm a male by the way and quite tall.
Reply 1
Original post by NurtureProtect

I'm aware that registered mental health nurses don't have uniform like scrubs, but are expected to dress smart and respect the bare-below-elbow policy. But do student nurses get to wear their own clothes on placement in mental health, or do they wear something specific to differentiate themselves from registered mental health nurses. What's something you recommend I wear on placement as a student mental health nurse? I'm a male by the way and quite tall.

If you have to wear a uniform as part of your student mental health nurse degree then the university will tell you about it ok. As each university has there own rules regarding student nursing students wearing a uniform...
I would probably expect you to wear one especially in a hospital environment as working on ward's.
Some hospital trusts uses Scrubs uniforms and others will be a tunic top and trousers

Hello @NurtureProtect [br] [br] I hope you’re well, it’s quite common for universities to provide students with uniform whilst on placement. However, if your university does not offer that, it would be good to ask your university tutors or the place you’ll be doing placement at, for recommendations or a dress code policy, it’ll be easier to make a decision with firm guidance!

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 3

It depends where you go on placement. Both my placements i have had to wear my uniform (uni provided them fir all nursing students) my current placement is at an acute inpatient unit, so on a ward in a hospital, and all the nurses (registered mental health nurses) wear a uniform. The band 5s wear a royal blue, and band 6s wear a navy blue. My first placement was in a residential home and their policy was students wore their uniforns.
Generally community placements students wear smart casual clothes.
But ultimately uts down to your placements request

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending