The Student Room Group

Healthcare assistant requirements

hi , it would be nice to hear past HCA experiences and requirements you had to have to be able to get onto the job. i am thinking of either going to university to study nursing or be a HCA and do a nursing apprenticeship after because i don’t really know if im ready for uni yet.
would my level 2 health and social care from college and 130 hours in a carehome be enough?
im also studying 3 a-levels as a private candidate (psychology, sociology and religious studies)
Reply 1
I became a HCA at my local hospital without any experience. I did do a google on what questions I maybe asked. Such as the 6c (google that) and this hospital trust values. That’s about it. It was more my personality and what would I do in some situations. But I have to say I learnt alot!! If you put the effort in you will really learn the basics. So I could do venipuncture, baseline OBs, ECGs, fluid balance, bladder scans, wound dressings and care the list is endless. This then gave great foundations to go forward to do nursing. If you want to know anything else ask away. Good luck
Original post by Magenta00
I became a HCA at my local hospital without any experience. I did do a google on what questions I maybe asked. Such as the 6c (google that) and this hospital trust values. That’s about it. It was more my personality and what would I do in some situations. But I have to say I learnt alot!! If you put the effort in you will really learn the basics. So I could do venipuncture, baseline OBs, ECGs, fluid balance, bladder scans, wound dressings and care the list is endless. This then gave great foundations to go forward to do nursing. If you want to know anything else ask away. Good luck

that’s good!!! oh yes, that’s better they look for personality etc. it’s just lovely to be able to help people that need it and give the care they need . are you still a HCA now? also do you know if HCA in your hospital did nursing apprenticeships ? can you choose the ward or do they choose for you? what are the pros and cons? thank you ever so much ☺️☺️☺️
Reply 3
I only work on the bank now (zero hours) so I get to pick and choose shifts and where I work. I’ve kept the contract while I’m studying. As I haven’t started nursing just yet. I’m going to be honest I found it very few and far between in regards to the nursing apprenticeship. I only know 2 friends that ever got it. There was a massive push for the nursing associate at the time, but most of them went on and did the top up to become full a nurses.
So if you go on your local hospital and look at the jobs you will see HCAs for individual wards, so that’s the place you would work. But if you see just HCA and gen medical then that’s when could be your put on any Ward and that will be your home.
So I applied for generic and I found out where I was working they day they offered the job. It’s was acute medical unit. As it happens it was the best place because I was exposed to all different ailments. Remember if this is to get as much exposure and experience then don’t be afraid to go to the busiest areas.
Pros- experience
Learning new skills
Being part of something
Cons- hard work mentality and physically
You do see death unfortunately and it can either make you very hard or it can bother you.
You may get covered in bodily fluids alot!!! 😂

It’s hard to say how you feel about the job but I loved it even when it was really bad. But I would highly recommend doing this type of job before nursing not only will it give you an idea if you will survive 😆 or what areas do you like.
(edited 10 months ago)
I only work on the bank now (zero hours) so I get to pick and choose shifts and where I work. I’ve kept the contract while I’m studying. As I haven’t started nursing just yet. I’m going to be honest I found it very few and far between in regards to the nursing apprenticeship. I only know 2 friends that ever got it. There was a massive push for the nursing associate at the time, but most of them went on and did the top up to become full a nurses.
So if you go on your local hospital and look at the jobs you will see HCAs for individual wards, so that’s the place you would work. But if you see just HCA and gen medical then that’s when could be your put on any Ward and that will be your home.
So I applied for generic and I found out where I was working they day they offered the job. It’s was acute medical unit. As it happens it was the best place because I was exposed to all different ailments. Remember if this is to get as much exposure and experience then don’t be afraid to go to the busiest areas.
Pros- experience
Learning new skills
Being part of something
Cons- hard work mentality and physically
You do see death unfortunately and it can either make you very hard or it can bother you.
You may get covered in bodily fluids alot!!! 😂

It’s hard to say how you feel about the job but I loved it even when it was really bad. But I would highly recommend doing this type of job before nursing not only will it give you an idea if you will survive 😆 or what areas do you like.

omg thank you for all this!!!
that’s better that you have flexible hours :smile: what do you study if you don’t mind me asking? yes the apprenticeships seem competitive which is annoying but i think they like experience which is good for people that have been HCAs i suppose. so you’re planning on being a nurse?? if so, are you going to uni or a different route??? id either like to be with children or maybe womens health but im sure thats too specific lol. i also wouldn’t mind the mental health sector as it seems different to the clinical side.
ooooh, being exposed to different things is good cos you may find something you prefer doijg compared to the other units and prepares you for nursing for example. being exposed to death is very sad 😔 and oh gosh sounds like a hard job but worth it in my opinion!
yes, i personally think being a HCA can help you decide if the healthcare system is the route you would like to take or not. it’s like having a lot of experience but also being paid so it’s definitely worth the stress and it seems rewarding too.
you’re very helpful so thank you 😊
Reply 5
Original post by alevelstudent090
omg thank you for all this!!!
that’s better that you have flexible hours :smile: what do you study if you don’t mind me asking? yes the apprenticeships seem competitive which is annoying but i think they like experience which is good for people that have been HCAs i suppose. so you’re planning on being a nurse?? if so, are you going to uni or a different route??? id either like to be with children or maybe womens health but im sure thats too specific lol. i also wouldn’t mind the mental health sector as it seems different to the clinical side.
ooooh, being exposed to different things is good cos you may find something you prefer doijg compared to the other units and prepares you for nursing for example. being exposed to death is very sad 😔 and oh gosh sounds like a hard job but worth it in my opinion!
yes, i personally think being a HCA can help you decide if the healthcare system is the route you would like to take or not. it’s like having a lot of experience but also being paid so it’s definitely worth the stress and it seems rewarding too.
you’re very helpful so thank you 😊

I completed a degree in sexual health and after i decided that I loved my job so much I wanted to pursue the medical side of things. I am attending postgraduate nursing next week to get an idea if that’s the course for me as it’s only 2 years however I don’t know if the new course practice pathway maybe better due to more hands on. So it’s all decisions at the moment that’s why I joined the group.
Going down the route paediatric or mental health it’s very specific in regards to what course to apply for, if you’re unsure I would definitely look at a zero hour contract even while you’re looking at hca jobs or uni. Then you could work shifts in those areas of interest.

My sister just completed her nursing In mental health in Scotland and her course now does a combined degree so you can work in all areas. She did have the option of moving over to it, but chose not to. Maybe that’s something will happen here in the future so it’s not so restrictive.
Plus maybe go to the open days at uni to get a feel for the courses available. Even if you’re not looking to do it for another year.
Reply 6
hi , it would be nice to hear past HCA experiences and requirements you had to have to be able to get onto the job. i am thinking of either going to university to study nursing or be a HCA and do a nursing apprenticeship after because i don’t really know if im ready for uni yet.
would my level 2 health and social care from college and 130 hours in a carehome be enough?
im also studying 3 a-levels as a private candidate (psychology, sociology and religious studies)

No previous experience required for HCA role's as all training will be provided but if you have any sort of experience then it helps 🙂.
You probably experience some things that you'll be doing as a HCA in the care home looking after people. Use that as part of your HCA role if successful in getting a position.
You can ask about working in a certain ward setting and see what happens. HCA role's are covered for the whole hospital as you may be needed somewhere else if short staffed but majority of the HCA stays in the same place unless they want to go elsewhere.... Bank nurse don't have any say about where to go as you'll be told to report to ward xxx and you might be doing different wards each day you working Bank nursing. Another thing that bank nursing is ideal for student nurses as suitable for fitting in around university and placement.

If you are not 100% sure about becoming a nurse then working as a HCA or auxiliary nurse will give you some insight into the job as a nurse. Long nightshifts and dayshifts are part of hospital nursing but not working in a GP practice as only work the opening times of the practice.

You'll learn more about handling death of people as part of bereavement as you have to deal with it plus still continue being professional as a nurse. You get used to it through time. Remember depending on what particular area you are working in with nursing you may never experience a death as you'll intend to find that this is more related to major surgical wards and the elderly wards rather than on other non surgical wards areas. Of course it can still arise in any other areas. Not just unique to elderly and major surgical wards and A&E .
Apprenticeships you'll have to make sure you get a employer to take you on for that. It's more hands on than the traditional route of university and placement with NHS.
I completed a degree in sexual health and after i decided that I loved my job so much I wanted to pursue the medical side of things. I am attending postgraduate nursing next week to get an idea if that’s the course for me as it’s only 2 years however I don’t know if the new course practice pathway maybe better due to more hands on. So it’s all decisions at the moment that’s why I joined the group.
Going down the route paediatric or mental health it’s very specific in regards to what course to apply for, if you’re unsure I would definitely look at a zero hour contract even while you’re looking at hca jobs or uni. Then you could work shifts in those areas of interest.

My sister just completed her nursing In mental health in Scotland and her course now does a combined degree so you can work in all areas. She did have the option of moving over to it, but chose not to. Maybe that’s something will happen here in the future so it’s not so restrictive.
Plus maybe go to the open days at uni to get a feel for the courses available. Even if you’re not looking to do it for another year.

hi good afternoon!!
sexual health degree seems interesting and can you work in a sexual health clinic with that?good luck with your postgraduate, honestly do what is best for you. it sounds good though. whatever choices you make you will do well:smile:.
i went to see my GP today about something and we ended up talking about HCA roles ahaha!! she was so lovely about it and helpful.
ooo, so a dual degree? that sounds good. mental health and adult nursing seem great so it would be good to do both. i did look into ARU in cambridge and im going for an open day with my mum! it’s only a 30 min drive and im going to go for some shopping too so i can’t wait. if i did end up going to uni, i would rather be kind of close to home because i dont know if i would live there or commute. i only need three C’s in a-level to get in so thats decent. im really struggling with my self study a-levels atm. i pay monthly for the online tutors , however im just so behind and i keep wanting to give up but i cant:frown:.
Original post by Tracey_W
No previous experience required for HCA role's as all training will be provided but if you have any sort of experience then it helps 🙂.
You probably experience some things that you'll be doing as a HCA in the care home looking after people. Use that as part of your HCA role if successful in getting a position.
You can ask about working in a certain ward setting and see what happens. HCA role's are covered for the whole hospital as you may be needed somewhere else if short staffed but majority of the HCA stays in the same place unless they want to go elsewhere.... Bank nurse don't have any say about where to go as you'll be told to report to ward xxx and you might be doing different wards each day you working Bank nursing. Another thing that bank nursing is ideal for student nurses as suitable for fitting in around university and placement.

If you are not 100% sure about becoming a nurse then working as a HCA or auxiliary nurse will give you some insight into the job as a nurse. Long nightshifts and dayshifts are part of hospital nursing but not working in a GP practice as only work the opening times of the practice.

You'll learn more about handling death of people as part of bereavement as you have to deal with it plus still continue being professional as a nurse. You get used to it through time. Remember depending on what particular area you are working in with nursing you may never experience a death as you'll intend to find that this is more related to major surgical wards and the elderly wards rather than on other non surgical wards areas. Of course it can still arise in any other areas. Not just unique to elderly and major surgical wards and A&E .
Apprenticeships you'll have to make sure you get a employer to take you on for that. It's more hands on than the traditional route of university and placement with NHS.

omg thank you so much!!! im self studying a levels and im so behind and so overwhelmed. it’s very draining and i feel like im getting nowhere so a HCA role could be my back up plan or if i decide not to go to university im not so sure. i feel like giving up these a levels but i cant:frown:.
this seems very good! becoming a HCA seems suitable so i can see if nursing is for me and if i could handle it and is better than applying to university because i may not like nursing at university so its great that the HCA role can help you know if its right for you.
honestly cant wait to actually get to the jobs!!!
thank you so much:smile:
Reply 9
hi good afternoon!!
sexual health degree seems interesting and can you work in a sexual health clinic with that?good luck with your postgraduate, honestly do what is best for you. it sounds good though. whatever choices you make you will do well:smile:.
i went to see my GP today about something and we ended up talking about HCA roles ahaha!! she was so lovely about it and helpful.
ooo, so a dual degree? that sounds good. mental health and adult nursing seem great so it would be good to do both. i did look into ARU in cambridge and im going for an open day with my mum! it’s only a 30 min drive and im going to go for some shopping too so i can’t wait. if i did end up going to uni, i would rather be kind of close to home because i dont know if i would live there or commute. i only need three C’s in a-level to get in so thats decent. im really struggling with my self study a-levels atm. i pay monthly for the online tutors , however im just so behind and i keep wanting to give up but i cant:frown:.

I don’t mean to intrude but why can’t you study A levels at sixth form or college. It’s just an idea what about assess course? I don’t know your age but they do 24+ loans to cover it and when you start uni it gets cleared 🤷*♀️. I did an access course while I was working as hca. I opted for nights so when I was on my break i would read and take notes. Then when it’s was my days off I would write it up. Yes it took 12 months but it gave me enough credits to go to uni.
I am not what people would call academic, so it wasn’t difficult. Plus I found they judge you more on the access course than uni 😂 so if you nail that you fly through nursing. Could be another option for you.
I don’t mean to intrude but why can’t you study A levels at sixth form or college. It’s just an idea what about assess course? I don’t know your age but they do 24+ loans to cover it and when you start uni it gets cleared 🤷*♀️. I did an access course while I was working as hca. I opted for nights so when I was on my break i would read and take notes. Then when it’s was my days off I would write it up. Yes it took 12 months but it gave me enough credits to go to uni.
I am not what people would call academic, so it wasn’t difficult. Plus I found they judge you more on the access course than uni 😂 so if you nail that you fly through nursing. Could be another option for you.

i did study a level 2 health and social care at college. then went onto level 3 in a different college as it seemed nicer but my mental health went down so i left and then my parents called me a failure so i decided to just study a levels at home and sadly i can’t study them at a school because im 19 next month:frown:. i also pay £166 a month for oxbridge home learning whete i have online tutors which i pay until Jan but the tutors r so useless but they do give predicted grades . i just wish i did an access course but i cant as im paying and its a loan itself. i regret doing it sometimes but its ok i just need to pull through 🤣🤣
the access course seems way better but oh well😭 i wish i looked into it more. im just scared if i fail but its fine i guess all i can do is try
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
i did study a level 2 health and social care at college. then went onto level 3 in a different college as it seemed nicer but my mental health went down so i left and then my parents called me a failure so i decided to just study a levels at home and sadly i can’t study them at a school because im 19 next month:frown:. i also pay £166 a month for oxbridge home learning whete i have online tutors which i pay until Jan but the tutors r so useless but they do give predicted grades . i just wish i did an access course but i cant as im paying and its a loan itself. i regret doing it sometimes but its ok i just need to pull through 🤣🤣
the access course seems way better but oh well😭 i wish i looked into it more. im just scared if i fail but its fine i guess all i can do is try

I would to say don’t be so hard on yourself, mental health is important to take care of yourself. Life is a marathon not a sprint! I am 40 years old and have changed careers many times. I’ve tried all sorts and I definitely think it’s character building. So it’s ok to fail at stuff!! It’s what we do next. So don’t rush into anything, take your time and tackle one thing at a time. Who says we have to have everything so early. I went to uni at 37 years old! I got 1st class Hons degree! Now anyone that knows me would say “stop it!, you have a 1st” 😂.
So you prioritise what you want first if it’s to finish a levels and then look at uni that’s ok or go take some time and become a HCA. Whatever you choose do, do it to be happy!!!
I would to say don’t be so hard on yourself, mental health is important to take care of yourself. Life is a marathon not a sprint! I am 40 years old and have changed careers many times. I’ve tried all sorts and I definitely think it’s character building. So it’s ok to fail at stuff!! It’s what we do next. So don’t rush into anything, take your time and tackle one thing at a time. Who says we have to have everything so early. I went to uni at 37 years old! I got 1st class Hons degree! Now anyone that knows me would say “stop it!, you have a 1st” 😂.
So you prioritise what you want first if it’s to finish a levels and then look at uni that’s ok or go take some time and become a HCA. Whatever you choose do, do it to be happy!!!

ive only done about 2hrs 30 of studying and im so behind it’s scaring me so badly and im just ill atm so it’s harder to get stuff done. you’re right i should go at my own pace and its not a race. i just cant give up these a-levels because i may regret it and i feel like i dont study enough when i should but it’s so hard now. i wont probably finish the first year content before september now sadly. sorry for my rant im just annoyed at this moment in time 🤣🤣 oh my, well done on getting a first that mustn’t have been easy and you got it!!! :smile: i agree you can go to university at any age and it doesn’t matter. it’s nice you took your time and im so happy for you that you have got that result. yes i should look after my mental health and i really want to give up these a-levels but ill regret it and its cost so much money but im lucky i have a part time job to pay for them. im not sure on what to do now:frown:. my parents will honestly be so mad
Reply 13
omg thank you so much!!! im self studying a levels and im so behind and so overwhelmed. it’s very draining and i feel like im getting nowhere so a HCA role could be my back up plan or if i decide not to go to university im not so sure. i feel like giving up these a levels but i cant:frown:.
this seems very good! becoming a HCA seems suitable so i can see if nursing is for me and if i could handle it and is better than applying to university because i may not like nursing at university so its great that the HCA role can help you know if its right for you.
honestly cant wait to actually get to the jobs!!!
thank you so much:smile:

Hi
You are welcome 🤗🤗

Get your necessary qualifications done if possible for what you require for nursing degree ( look at your chosen universities for these requirements) and you can work towards achieving those. You will definitely need your minimum requirements for university as said look at what is required by your chosen universities.

Doing HCA or auxiliary nursing is perfect for someone like yourself when you don't know exactly what you want to do and if nursing is not for you then you won't be wasting your time at university and perhaps dropping out if you don't like it as it's 3 years of hard work ahead. If you like what you are doing as a HCA or auxiliary nurse then you can just continue doing it unless you serious enough for doing a nursing degree at university.

You have to be committed for nursing okay.

I would certainly be looking to apply for both HCA and auxiliary nursing positions and see what one comes up for you ☺️☺️.

I hope you are successful in gaining a HCA or auxiliary nurse position so that you can experience what nursing is all about.

I'm a registered NHS midwife and it was a very very hard degree to do but worth it after all the hard work I put in to qualifying as a midwife. 😀😀 Good luck with everything.

Hello @alevelstudent090

I hope you're well. I am a 3rd year student midwife as well as a HCA therefore, I don't know of the "typical job requirements" you would need as I was eligible to be a HCA due to the fact I was a healthcare student. It is very different from being a STM but I do enjoy it, you can focus on different aspects of care and you form a vital part of making sure the ward is tidy, organized and well stocked which is key! If you're not sure if you're ready for uni I think it would make sense to do your 2nd option of: HCA and nursing apprenticeship, so at least you can get a feel for nursing requirements etc

It's always best to apply and if you succeed then bingo! Don't stress, you have qualifications and experience :smile:

Best of luck :smile:
Jade
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 15

HCA here and I love it! You should absolutely apply, it's a fantastic job in itself and also a great foundation for moving into other healthcare fields, ESPECIALLY nursing, I have loads of colleagues who've gone on to nursing school. I'm about to move into paramedicine myself and everyone's said my HCA experience in particular is really great for transferable skills and massively benefits my application. Going to uni is a big decision and you're right to wait if you're not sure, if you end up studying anything remotely healthcare related having worked as an HCA will count hugely in your favor, plus it gives you the chance to get a head start on some important skills and figure out whether the work is really right for you.

Most HCA jobs are either NHS band 2 or band 3, band 2s are considered entry-level and you don't need any experience to get them, just talking about things like the 6Cs, what motivates you to care for people, how you'd handle difficult situations etc should be enough, relevant voluntary experience is a massive plus too and your care home experience will definitely be enough for that. I came in as a band 3 with a few years' experience working in retirement homes, community mental health and domiciliary care, band 3s tend to go more to people with some experience but it doesn't need to be a lot, you'd have a decent chance at those with the care home experience too imo, doubly so if you have anything else that's relevant (it could be informal stuff like caring responsibilities for a friend/relative too, it doesn't need to have been your 'official job').

You don't need any qualifications for most HCA jobs, I don't have any and it's never been an issue. I've seen a few ask for GCSE English and Math or equivalent but they tend to be pretty flexible about that, my current job offered a basic numeracy & writing skills test as part of the application process for anyone who didn't have qualifications. Health & Social care is super useful, as are A-levels (wow!) but absolutely not required. If you tell them about the A-levels though (especially if you're not working full-time at the moment) be prepared for an interview question about how you're planning to balance your studies with the work, it can be quite intense and they don't want people who'll leave a few months in because they can't handle studying alongside it, they'll also want to see that you're at least somewhat flexible around shift times, working at short-notice etc. because that's realistically a part of the job (gotta love NHS understaffing 🙄) so be prepared to give a sensible answer on that

Good luck!!
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending