The Student Room Group

Criminology - Loughborough or York?

Hi
I've received offers from Loughborough and York to study Criminology.
I like both courses and both unis equally. York is Russell Group but Loughborough is highly respected and higher ranked.
I'm finding it really difficult to choose.
I'll be visiting both unis again, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear any opinions or advice.
Thanks
AK
Original post by Anna Karenina
Hi
I've received offers from Loughborough and York to study Criminology.
I like both courses and both unis equally. York is Russell Group but Loughborough is highly respected and higher ranked.
I'm finding it really difficult to choose.
I'll be visiting both unis again, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear any opinions or advice.
Thanks
AK

go for whichever you prefer and ignore the Russell group thing as it is a marketing issue. York have only been a rg uni 3 years. prior to that they were members of the 1994 group with Loughborough. there is really no difference in terms of standards it boils down to where you feel best and where the cost suits you best
Thanks swanseajack1 - that's a fair point.
My problem is that so far I like the unis and courses equally - and I know both are good unis. So really looking for things that could sway me one way or another.
I'm visiting again - now that I have offers - but wanted some opinions aswell.
Original post by Anna Karenina
Thanks swanseajack1 - that's a fair point.
My problem is that so far I like the unis and courses equally - and I know both are good unis. So really looking for things that could sway me one way or another.
I'm visiting again - now that I have offers - but wanted some opinions aswell.

I don't think anyone can make that decision for you as it comes down to personal choice. people who have been to either uni will be biased and it is highly unlikely anyone will have studied at both. York is a much bigger city than Loughborough and Loughborough will have the better sporting facilities. it really bolls down to what you want
I'm really not looking for anyone to make my decision for me
However, as well as visiting the places and talking to people there, I'd like to have as much information as possible - including a range of opinions - before I make this life changing decision for myself. With that in mind I thought it'd be a good idea to try and dip into the wealth of experience of TSR's huge membership. It's not necessary for people giving opinions to have experience of both places. I'm aware that there will be bias. But hopefully people will qualify an opinion.
It all helps. Already your comment about RG being a marketing issue arms me with a better perspective.
Ultimately I'll make the decision myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending