The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Looking to know what York's accommodation is like

Hiya - I have received an offer to study Law and Criminology at York and I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards firming York. I'd like to hear about what my accommodation prospects are.

I have quite intense anxiety and I'm only now de-transitioning from mental health support. It'd be really helpful if I could have an ensuite facility so I don't freak out lol.

However, I don't know how the process for securing accommodation works... thanks to anyone with some insight on the matter, and if you're reading this and we're on the same boat, I look forward to meeting you!
Reply 1
Original post by YL1MIS
Hiya - I have received an offer to study Law and Criminology at York and I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards firming York. I'd like to hear about what my accommodation prospects are.

I have quite intense anxiety and I'm only now de-transitioning from mental health support. It'd be really helpful if I could have an ensuite facility so I don't freak out lol.

However, I don't know how the process for securing accommodation works... thanks to anyone with some insight on the matter, and if you're reading this and we're on the same boat, I look forward to meeting you!

Hi, congrats on your offer! Early next year you'll get an email asking you to rank 7/8 colleges/accommodation that you'd like to be in. With Law and Criminology all of your classes will be on Campus East, which means one of two things. You could live on East and be really close to your classes, but I also know people whose classes are mostly on East but prefer to live on Campus West to have a separate work/home environment. The colleges on Campus East are Constantine, Langwith, Goodricke, David Kato and Anne Lister. These rooms are typically more expensive than Campus West due to being newer and having better facilities but you're more likely to get an ensuite room. The colleges on Campus West are Halifax, Derwent, Vanbrugh, James and Alcuin. Each college has a different reputation, strengths and spirit, so I'd recommend looking at each college on the University of York website and figuring out which works best for you. Feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions 🙂
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by phh03
Hi, congrats on your offer! Early next year you'll get an email asking you to rank 7/8 colleges/accommodation that you'd like to be in. With Law and Criminology all of your classes will be on Campus East, which means one of two things. You could live on East and be really close to your classes, but I also know people whose classes are mostly on East but prefer to live on Campus West to have a separate work/home environment. The colleges on Campus East are Constantine, Langwith, Goodricke, David Kato and Anne Lister. These rooms are typically more expensive than Campus West due to being newer and having better facilities but you're more likely to get an ensuite room. The colleges on Campus West are Halifax, Derwent, Vanbrugh, James and Alcuin. Each college has a different reputation, strengths and spirit, so I'd recommend looking at each college on the University of York website and figuring out which works best for you. Feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions 🙂

Wow thank you so much! I’ve already done a mitigating circumstances form along with my application but is there a way I can emphasise my need for my own privacy? Who do I talk to? Or do you think they’d already take my application into consideration?
Reply 3
Original post by YL1MIS
Wow thank you so much! I’ve already done a mitigating circumstances form along with my application but is there a way I can emphasise my need for my own privacy? Who do I talk to? Or do you think they’d already take my application into consideration?

On the actual accommodation application I think they ask if you have any disabilities/mitigating circumstances, but I'd send an email to [email protected] just to make sure and if you have any questions. I'd also recommend looking into Alcuin (Campus West) and Goodricke (Campus East) if you're looking for a quieter accom with ensuites 🙂
Original post by YL1MIS

Hi!

We have lots of ensuite options on campus, so make sure to rank these as your top choices when our accommodation booking system opens! You can also drop [email protected] a message and they will be happy to help you with your request 🙂
Have a look on this page and maybe email accomodation services before you put your choices in, they may be able to give you advice!
https://www.york.ac.uk/study/accommodation/health/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending