The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology, Chemistry, French, History and Economics

I have decided to take 4 of the 5 subjects I listed above (Biology, Chemistry, French, History and Economics).

I was looking for some advice from people who study or have previously studied these a-levels, some do's and don'ts, comparison to GCSE and just general tips really. Very grateful!

Exam Boards for a-level (bracketed are currently for GCSE)
Biology - Edexcel (OCR)
Chemistry - AQA (OCR)
Economics - AQA (Edexcel (GCSE Business))
French - WJEC (AQA)
History - AQA (OCR)
What are you thinking of applying for at Uni? That would probably help to decide. Out of those I do Biology and Chemistry, and personally I think Biology is just the same but more difficult topics such as the heart in AS and photosynthesis/respiration in A2. Chemistry was like a different subject at A level; I enjoyed it at GCSE but I do A2 chem now and it's by far my favourite subject. Many people find it very hard though, I guess if you enjoy it then you'll be fine and if you don't then it's a big struggle and a lot to learn!

I don't do French but many of my friends do and it's quite different to GCSE, much more "actual" French like reading books, watching films etc. Economics has a reputation for being an easy/doss subject where everyone gets A*s for no work but if you want to do Econ at Uni then it's necessary. As for History, I dropped it as soon as I had the chance many years ago so I have no idea what it's like!

Just my opinion/what I've heard from friends who study those subjects, I'm sure others will agree/disagree :smile:
Reply 2
cdg
OP
Original post by Gaiaphage
What are you thinking of applying for at Uni? That would probably help to decide. Out of those I do Biology and Chemistry, and personally I think Biology is just the same but more difficult topics such as the heart in AS and photosynthesis/respiration in A2. Chemistry was like a different subject at A level; I enjoyed it at GCSE but I do A2 chem now and it's by far my favourite subject. Many people find it very hard though, I guess if you enjoy it then you'll be fine and if you don't then it's a big struggle and a lot to learn!

I don't do French but many of my friends do and it's quite different to GCSE, much more "actual" French like reading books, watching films etc. Economics has a reputation for being an easy/doss subject where everyone gets A*s for no work but if you want to do Econ at Uni then it's necessary. As for History, I dropped it as soon as I had the chance many years ago so I have no idea what it's like!

Just my opinion/what I've heard from friends who study those subjects, I'm sure others will agree/disagree :smile:

That's really helped. I've always wanted to go down the Biology route and it was always a 'dream' to do Medicine. However Maths is desired and that is by far my worst subject! I've also heard that Economics is a bit of a doss but I had always considered it as a relax/easy lesson! I enjoy Biology and always have done, I never used to like Chemistry at all, mainly because of teaching, but this year (Y11) it's become one of my favourite subjects and I think I have hrs ability to do it at A-Level. Chemistry fascinates me however I do have to do a lot of work in it as I see parts of it as somewhat of a 'memory test'! I want to do French because I enjoy it at GCSE and I have also heard that it is more "actual" and that's what I'll enjoy; I hate talking about "your house" and "your family" like GCSE is and I want to really get involved with the language. I'm very much sat on the fence with History, I have a mock next week and my intention is if I do bad then I won't take it!

Thanks for the advice, what other a-levels are you taking if you don't mind me asking and what are you doing after FE?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cdg
That's really helped. I've always wanted to go down the Biology route and it was always a 'dream' to do Medicine. However Maths is desired and that is by far my worst subject! I've also heard that Economics is a bit of a doss but I had always considered it as a relax/easy lesson! I enjoy Biology and always have done, I never used to like Chemistry at all, mainly because of teaching, but this year (Y11) it's become one of my favourite subjects and I think I have hrs ability to do it at A-Level. Chemistry fascinates me however I do have to do a lot of work in it as I see parts of it as somewhat of a 'memory test'! I want to do French because I enjoy it at GCSE and I have also heard that it is more "actual" and that's what I'll enjoy; I hate talking about "your house" and "your family" like GCSE is and I want to really get involved with the language. I'm very much sat on the fence with History, I have a mock next week and my intention is if I do bad then I won't take it!

Thanks for the advice, what other a-levels are you taking if you don't mind me asking and what are you doing after FE?

No problem! I'm doing Maths/Biology/Chemistry at A2 currently and I did further maths/geography at AS. I have an offer for Medicine at Cambridge this year so if you want any more tips/help etc feel free to reply/pm me :smile:

If you're genuinely interested in Medicine then you're right, Maths is strongly desirable. However, it is still most definitely possible to do Medicine without it and having no maths A level is better than having a C etc, so if you really don't feel confident about it don't feel pressured into continuing with it or quitting Medicine.

You're also right about some bits of Chemistry being a memory test - there are lots of mechanisms and reactions to learn which are completely new to A level but they're all logical and if you are happy to get extra help (if necessary) so that you understand it fully then it shouldn't be a problem.

From what you've said I think Bio/Chem/French/Economics would be a good combo for you because you could still do Medicine, have enough time to complete work and still have the enjoyment of a language. If possible, I suggest you talk to your maths teachers (or preferably the ones who would be teaching you at A level) to ask what they think you could get at the end. Bear in mind that in most cases, if your school does not certificate AS results then unis will not actually find out your AS grades so as long as you could scrape the offer requirements there's not too much pressure to do any better!
This is a tad late but I'm in the exact situation!!! I decided to do French History Biology and Chemistry because I thought Economics would narrow my options and tbh it wasn't that interesting to me

Quick Reply

Latest