The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Economics at St.Andrews much lower in the 2015 rankings

Does anyone have an idea why Economics at St. Andrews lost a lot of ranking places this year? Anything important to know about the School of Economics there?
(edited 9 years ago)
If you are referring to league tables 99% of the time nothing changes. League tables are so notorious for changing for no real reason.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Okorange
If you are referring to league tables 99% of the time nothing changes. League tables are so notorious for changing for no real reason.

Still, is Economics at St. Andres worse than at Universities like Bath, Bristol, Durham, Exeter?
Or compared to Edinburgh? Do you know what they are famous for?
Original post by Maximov
Still, is Economics at St. Andres worse than at Universities like Bath, Bristol, Durham, Exeter?
Or compared to Edinburgh? Do you know what they are famous for?

If we are talking about world famous for Econ it is still going to be Oxford, Cambridge, LSE primarily with UCL, Warwick and perhaps Durham coming afterwards. Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol in my opinion are all good unis that have good econ but they are not specifically known for econ.

With that being said, any of these universities are good options because apart from the first 3 I listed which have a special reputation, the rest are all top universities with good but not necessarily exceptional departments.

I am not an econ student so take what I said with a grain of salt, but this is the general idea I get. In recent years the only British unis that have nobel prize potentials on staff for econ are at Oxbridge and LSE.
Reply 4
If we are talking about world famous for Econ it is still going to be Oxford, Cambridge, LSE primarily with UCL, Warwick and perhaps Durham coming afterwards. Edinburgh, St Andrews, Bristol in my opinion are all good unis that have good econ but they are not specifically known for econ.

With that being said, any of these universities are good options because apart from the first 3 I listed which have a special reputation, the rest are all top universities with good but not necessarily exceptional departments.

I am not an econ student so take what I said with a grain of salt, but this is the general idea I get. In recent years the only British unis that have nobel prize potentials on staff for econ are at Oxbridge and LSE.

Thank you! That corresponds to my own perception. As for the moment I'm only thinking about undergraduate studies, there are other criteria to consider apart from academics. For my Master Degree, I'll keep on dreaming of LSE or Oxbridge ...
Original post by Maximov
Thank you! That corresponds to my own perception. As for the moment I'm only thinking about undergraduate studies, there are other criteria to consider apart from academics. For my Master Degree, I'll keep on dreaming of LSE or Oxbridge ...

I really think this is the exact way to go. I think you are thinking a bit above your years, this is something I only learned after getting into undergrad.

Go to a school you really want to go to and if you get a 1st class or a good upper 2nd you may very well get into Oxbridge or LSE for a masters.

People really only care about your most recent stuff when it comes to job applications, and none of the unis on your list will hurt you if you apply for a job especially with a good degree class and job experience.
Reply 6
I really think this is the exact way to go. I think you are thinking a bit above your years, this is something I only learned after getting into undergrad.

Go to a school you really want to go to and if you get a 1st class or a good upper 2nd you may very well get into Oxbridge or LSE for a masters.

People really only care about your most recent stuff when it comes to job applications, and none of the unis on your list will hurt you if you apply for a job especially with a good degree class and job experience.

Thanks again for helping me sort things out! Where are you studying and what subject?
Original post by Maximov
Thanks again for helping me sort things out! Where are you studying and what subject?

I'm at St Andrews for Medicine and going to Edinburgh next year for the rest of my medical degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending