The Student Room Group

economics uni application

Which unis are most lenient with regards to entry requirements when applying for Economics?

Have people ever applied for a course with higher than predicted entry requirements and received an offer?

Have people narrowly missed their offer but still got in?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Which unis are most lenient with regards to entry requirements when applying for Economics?

Have people ever applied for a course with higher than predicted entry requirements and received an offer?

Yes it is reasonably common. Not with top Uni's for economics like Oxbridge/LSE/LSE/Warwick/Edinburgh/St Andrews etc, but beyond that you might get an offer with lower predictions than required. Of your 5 uni choices though, you should only apply to 1 maybe 2 max that are above your predictions as they you might get an offer, but there is a good chance that you won't.

Yes it's reasonably common to still get in if you just miss your offer e.g require ABB and you get BBB. Lots of people get rejected by just missing, but maybe just as many still get in.
Reply 2

Hello! For this year's A-Levels, everyone got lower than their predicted grades - some straight A students got Cs and Ds for their final grade but still got into UNI. One of those UNIs was SOAS - I ACC go to SOAS and I've been hearing how much students flopped their A-Levels but still got into the UNI despite SOAS having ridiculously high entry grades. For Econ Bsc I believe it is AAA, I'm not too sure.
Q1) Will change each year depending on the results of other offer holders.
Q2) Yes
Q3) Yes
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Q1) Will change each year depending on the results of other offer holders.
Q2) Yes
Q3) Yes

But surely some unis have a reputation of being more lenient than others? I have heard Exeter fits this description but not sure if this is true.
But surely some unis have a reputation of being more lenient than others? I have heard Exeter fits this description but not sure if this is true.

Unis asking for lower grades are more likely to have flexibility. But it's not really possible to say "uni X frequently accepts near misses" as their process could change each year and it depends on the results of other applicants which is only somewhat guessable.

Or to put it another way, a well ranked, competitive uni could find themselves with a shortfall and accept near misses, whilst a low ranked, low grade requirement uni might find themselves hugely oversubscribed and have no wiggle room at all.

It's really not worth second guessing where that flexiblity will lie, just apply to unis in and around your predictions or achieved grades.

Hi there,

I hope you're keeping well.

You raise a really great question, but unfortunately with great questions, come answers are never too simple to explain.

Though certain Unis may be more lenient (for example Kent** 😉 - with an excellent Economics course if I may shamelessly add 😀) with grades than others, as others have already mentioned - it's more a matter of chance depending on how busy admissions had been that year.
*I'm basing this more on acceptance rate - which may be a good indicator of this measure (but by no means perfect), as well as personal, anecdotal evidence I've heard from professors here.

As a realistic tip, I'd argue it's typically students who have shown other extracurricular interests or curiosity and engagement who fall below the grade curve and still manage to get in, rather than just students who are a few grades below but haven't shown any other reason for being interested in studying.

This is typically why there are definitely stories of both people applying for courses with higher entry requirements, and people who narrowly missed their marks - and still get accepted.

Other than this, I can really only think of "luck" being the other factor for this. I.e. the University decided to clear up vacant spots - so accepted, etc. But again, if this occurs, it's still probably likely that one would be able to get in through clearing anyways, and closely linked to the number of applicants that year.

Anyways, I hope this helps!
Warm regards,

David 🙂
University of Kent Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending