The Student Room Group

Need help finding my ucas university choices with BCC

Hi, I have graduated high school and am currently taking a gap year. I have a BCC + CD (five A levels).
I need help finding undergrad courses that accept these grades for either:
English, Economics & Philosophy, Computer Science. (or maybe a similar course I'm out of options right now.)
Most of the universities I find that would accept me do not have a good reputation online, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
Could you please suggest any universities or do you think it's a lost case?
p.s. I'm an international student so I can't do a foundation year either...
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mrmz
Hi, I have graduated high school and am currently taking a gap year. I have a BCC + CD (five A levels).
English, Economics & Philosophy, Computer Science. (or maybe a similar course I'm out of options right now.)
Most of the universities I find that would accept me do not have a good reputation online, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

There are many foundation years specifically for international students.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
There are many foundation years specifically for international students.

Hi! Thanks for replying, but all of the international foundation years I found have additional requirements (being in government care, young carer, estranged status etc.)
I don't fulfil any of those criteria except having lower than required grades.
Original post by mrmz
Hi! Thanks for replying, but all of the international foundation years I found have additional requirements (being in government care, young carer, estranged status etc.)
I don't fulfil any of those criteria except having lower than required grades.

I believe those circumstances are for giving contextual offers. Can you link to any international foundation courses with those specific requirements?
Original post by mrmz

The first thing to ask is what on earth possessed you to take 5 A levels. This is a classic case of spreading the load too thinly. 3 good A levels is also better than 4 or 5 mediocre ones.

The reality is that leading universities will not accept you with these grades. Maybe you need to look at universities who require BBB and might accept you with slightly dropped grades.

You need to take a course that you are really interested in and not any course. Computer Science and Economics will require good Maths grades.

Aberystwyth is an example of a university accepting BBB-CCC you could think of. Keele, Kent, Reading and Swansea might be worth a try. Even though some of these require BBB there is a strong possibility they will accept lower as English isnt particularly competitive. It will be more difficult for Computer Science or Economics and both will have minimum Maths requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
I believe those circumstances are for giving contextual offers. Can you link to any international foundation courses with those specific requirements?

This is for UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-foundation-year
There's also Warwick which does not accept if you've studied A Levels.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
The first thing to ask is what on earth possessed you to take 5 A levels. This is a classic case of spreading the load too thinly. 3 good A levels is also better than 4 or 5 mediocre ones.

The reality is that leading universities will not accept you with these grades. Maybe you need to look at universities who require BBB and might accept you with slightly dropped grades.

You need to take a course that you are really interested in and not any course. Computer Science and Economics will require good Maths grades.

Aberystwyth is an example of a university accepting BBB-CCC you could think of. Keele, Kent, Reading and Swansea might be worth a try. Even though some of these require BBB there is a strong possibility they will accept lower as English isnt particularly competitive. It will be more difficult for Computer Science or Economics and both will have minimum Maths requirements.

Yeah,, it started when I took upon the AICE diploma which was 7 AS grades and then tried to continue with 5...
I am actually interested in all of the subjects I mentioned because I have studied them before and would be interested in any courses as such.
Thank you so much for your suggestions, I'll definitely look into them!
I found Oxford Brookes too, but I'm not sure about it because there are such mixed opinions online.
Original post by mrmz
Yeah,, it started when I took upon the AICE diploma which was 7 AS grades and then tried to continue with 5...
I am actually interested in all of the subjects I mentioned because I have studied them before and would be interested in any courses as such.
Thank you so much for your suggestions, I'll definitely look into them!
I found Oxford Brookes too, but I'm not sure about it because there are such mixed opinions online.

I think the problem you have is that you are looking for leading universities but just dont meet the standards and hence why you see bad reviews. You have 2 choices.

You can resit 3 A levels not 5 and try to get better grades to help you get into better universities or you can face the reality your grades arent good enough and attend the best universities with your current grades ignoring much of the info you see online.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
I think the problem you have is that you are looking for leading universities but just dont meet the standards and hence why you see bad reviews. You have 2 choices.

You can resit 3 A levels not 5 and try to get better grades to help you get into better universities or you can face the reality your grades arent good enough and attend the best universities with your current grades ignoring much of the info you see online.

Hi, thank you for replying! I appreciate the straightforward advice.
I won't be resitting these, so I plan on applying to 2 reach schools (ABB/BBB) and 3 safety schools (with BBC/BCC and lower requirements).
I was just a bit worried because I heard that it's not advisable to go to a much lower-ranking university in terms of employment. I did an extensive search into it, and I now have a solid backup plan, plus am fine with my current choices.
Thank you for your words as they really did help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending