The Student Room Group

MSc Economics - Choosing a univeristy

Hi Everyone,

I'd appreciate some advice on MSc Economics courses.

I am due to begin studying at Durham this academic year but I have seen opinions suggesting their prestige at undergraduate does not carry to the postgraduate course. The QS World University rankings puts it a fair bit lower for MSc Economics than I would expect.

Unfortunately, I am very limited by my financial situation, and therefore despite having the ability to complete some of the top courses in the UK, I cannot afford them. Durham was affordable to me through bursaries etc.

Will an MSc in Economics from Durham allow me to compete with other graduates from universities higher in the rankings? Should I aim to delay the master's until I can save enough to complete the course at a higher-ranking university? Or am I worrying over nothing?
Original post by D_AvidC
Hi Everyone,

I'd appreciate some advice on MSc Economics courses.

I am due to begin studying at Durham this academic year but I have seen opinions suggesting their prestige at undergraduate does not carry to the postgraduate course. The QS World University rankings puts it a fair bit lower for MSc Economics than I would expect.

Unfortunately, I am very limited by my financial situation, and therefore despite having the ability to complete some of the top courses in the UK, I cannot afford them. Durham was affordable to me through bursaries etc.

Will an MSc in Economics from Durham allow me to compete with other graduates from universities higher in the rankings? Should I aim to delay the master's until I can save enough to complete the course at a higher-ranking university? Or am I worrying over nothing?

First, I think it's quite hard for anyone to give an answer of whether Durham's MSc Economics course is good enough or allow you to compete with other grads, when you're not actually saying for what. Compete for PhD places, for private/public sector roles, which specifically? Because the answer is likely different depending on what you're actually trying to achieve.
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
First, I think it's quite hard for anyone to give an answer of whether Durham's MSc Economics course is good enough or allow you to compete with other grads, when you're not actually saying for what. Compete for PhD places, for private/public sector roles, which specifically? Because the answer is likely different depending on what you're actually trying to achieve.

Unfortunately it says my account is too new to send a dm. I'll try to make a post and if you could reply to it, that would be great.
I have DMd you. You can either reply to that or make a new post with your query and @BenRyan99 in your question so I get a notification.
Reply 4
I have DMd you. You can either reply to that or make a new post with your query and @BenRyan99 in your question so I get a notification.

Hi. It won't let me reply to your dm since I only made the account 20 minutes ago.

Hopefully it should let me make a post and I'll tag you in there. Thanks for your help.
Reply 5

Hi Ben. I've made a post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending