The Student Room Group
Anonymous
Hi,
I went to the doctors the other day to get the results back from a scan that i had of my kidneys, ovaries, etc.

Apparently I have polycystic ovaries but dont actually have polycystic ovary syndrome. Whats the difference between the two? And what are ways of coping with/treating these conditions? Thanks xxx

They think i've got polycystic ovaries too.

I have no idea what the difference is.
Which of the symptoms have you got?
Apart from dealing with the individual symptoms (which your doctor will do by trying to rebalance your hormones with drugs) the only real difference you can make is by losing weight.
Shame the condition makes that near on impossible...
Reply 2
The syndrome is a collection of symptoms, polycystic ovaries are just cysts on the ovaries
have you actually got any symptoms?
Reply 4
Yeah, PCOS is a misleading name really, because it's a collection of things such as mucked up insulin metabolism and general hormones. Hence why it's very easy to put on wieght (:mad: ) with PCOS and you're at a higher risk of diabetes and cholesterol problems. Presumably, you don't have any of these hormone problems, just the cysts, which might be caused by something else.
*Joanna*
Yeah, PCOS is a misleading name really, because it's a collection of things such as mucked up insulin metabolism and general hormones. Hence why it's very easy to put on wieght (:mad: ) with PCOS and you're at a higher risk of diabetes and cholesterol problems. Presumably, you don't have any of these hormone problems, just the cysts, which might be caused by something else.

The thing is it's the cysts (unreleased follicles) that cause the hormone imbalances.
I think the two things may have different types of cysts.
Reply 6
I thought that the cysts were caused by the hormone imbalance? Because the hormone which causes the eggs to be released (cant remember which one!) is the one we have the imbalance in, hence the eggs not being released and then becoming cysts. Thats what i was tols anyway. But you cna have polycystic ovaries without having the symptoms. Only when you have other symptoms does it become polycystic ovary syndrome.

Did you have blood tests as well as the scans? Why did they do a scan in the first place?
Reply 7
Ive got the syndrome without having the cysts. Not sure if thats a good thing
I have the syndrome and the cysts. It's far from fun.

If they miss if the syndrome, you just have the fun lumps, if they add it on then you have the general messed up hormone levels and stuff like that which lead to fun things like major spots and greasy hair and loads of weight and excess hair growth and general nasty stuff like that. So yeah, I guess you're lucky relatively speaking?? :smile:
Yeah, the cysts on their own don't really do a lot...

It's nice the way all of the symptoms make you look so good.

I mean why can't it make you skinny instead.

Anyone else find that you don't get a period for months, but when you do it's a killer?
is it possible to have PCOS without having any period-problems??
Anonymous
is it possible to have PCOS without having any period-problems??

i believe so. its not common though, but you can have any of the symptoms - doesn't have to be all of them.
i have a lot of them just not the weight gain one
just found this on nhsdirect:

"Approximately one in ten British women have PCOS to some degree, and of those referred for an ultrasound examination, about 25% are found to have polycystic ovaries."

so going back to the OP, you dont necessarily have to have polycystic ovaries to have PCOS...
Anonymous
so going back to the OP, you dont necessarily have to have polycystic ovaries to have PCOS...

it's the other way round for her though isn't it; she has polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome
icantthinkofacoolusername

Anyone else find that you don't get a period for months, but when you do it's a killer?

*raises hand* - Like "I can't walk or I'll cry" killer.

Pah.

It's life I guess.
I dont have my periods for a long time, but when they do come, they are not heavy like some of you describe. I have began to get oily skin, greasy hair, and I have put on a lot of weight the past year. But, since I only started my periods two years ago, I thought this was why I am irregular. I dont know what to do, and I dont feel I can talk to my mum about it.
icantthinkofacoolusername

I thought I'd comment because my girlfriend has these exact things as well, according to her doc/gyno she's not ovulating either which will make pregnancy a nightmare, given she wants kids. :frown:
Reply 17
Anonymous
I dont have my periods for a long time, but when they do come, they are not heavy like some of you describe. I have began to get oily skin, greasy hair, and I have put on a lot of weight the past year. But, since I only started my periods two years ago, I thought this was why I am irregular. I dont know what to do, and I dont feel I can talk to my mum about it.

but your Mum does know about your diagnosis doesn't she? PCOS does appear to have a genetic link in some cases, some women remain undiagnosed because they just put up with the symptoms, and tolerate the condition, this syndrome is very treatable, you should ask your Gp for a gynae appt, also if you are treated speedily you will help to protect your fertility for later on in your life.

Latest

Trending

Trending