The Student Room Group

Low follicle egg count at 24?

I had an ultrasound and everything looked fine apart from a low egg count in my right ovary and then she couldn’t even find the left one! Now I’m worried I’ve either had menopause without me knowing what if my left one ceases to exist?? She said it’s likely to be bowel movement but she also said she hasn’t not been able to find a left ovary for a while.

All I ever want is to be a mum and have a baby. I had planned to do this in my late twenties / early thirties but it seems I’ll have to try and start conceiving which my bf is happy about.

The doctor recommended I did further blood tests to check hormone levels but if these are fine and I just have a low egg count will I have trouble conceiving? I’m still so young
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I had an ultrasound and everything looked fine apart from a low egg count in my right ovary and then she couldn’t even find the left one! Now I’m worried I’ve either had menopause without me knowing what if my left one ceases to exist?? She said it’s likely to be bowel movement but she also said she hasn’t not been able to find a left ovary for a while.

All I ever want is to be a mum and have a baby. I had planned to do this in my late twenties / early thirties but it seems I’ll have to try and start conceiving which my bf is happy about.

The doctor recommended I did further blood tests to check hormone levels but if these are fine and I just have a low egg count will I have trouble conceiving? I’m still so young

Hi
Although you have been told some bad news about your ovaries, you won't be alone with this as there is many thousands of other women in similar circumstances as you are and they went on to have children.

You still young to have children and hopefully you'll be able to fulfill your dreams in becoming a mother in due course.

I have recently had a young woman given birth under the same circumstances as what you are currently going through and she didn't have anything problems and as far as I know she's doing well and apparently thinking about getting pregnant again later in the year.

I have noted below some situations that can affect your ovaries etc ......
Sometimes, primary ovarian insufficiency is confused with premature menopause. But they aren't the same. People with primary ovarian insufficiency can have irregular or occasional periods for years. They might even get pregnant..

Can you have a baby with low follicle count....
Yes, you can still get pregnant with diminished ovarian reserve...
Your odds of conceiving may be smaller when your ovarian reserve is low, but you only need one egg to get pregnant. Egg count isn't the only factor in getting pregnant.

Causes of a low egg count Nevertheless, there are also young women who suffer from low egg count, albeit less frequently. In addition to age causing a decrease in ovarian reserve, there are other factors that can cause a low number of eggs cells to be available, such as: Premature ovarian failure..

Just you and your boyfriend enjoy looking forward to seeing children in the near future ☺️.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation and when you get pregnant you'll be supported by your GP and community midwife team through to you having birth in hospital.

I wish you all the best for the future

Registered midwife.

Quick Reply

Latest