The Student Room Group

Changed Mind on University Course

I'm 18 and currently in the middle of A2 work at sixth form and currently study biology, psychology and physics.

I applied to do physiotherapy at university but recently changed my mind (amateur mistake, I know) and am now looking to do computer science. As I can't change my course choice the only options I know of to apply to computer science would be to take a year out and apply again next year, does anyone have any ideas on alternative things to do? If a gap year is the only way, is there any possibility of spending the year taking further qualifications to aid my application next year?
:confused:
Original post by dam9
I'm 18 and currently in the middle of A2 work at sixth form and currently study biology, psychology and physics.

I applied to do physiotherapy at university but recently changed my mind (amateur mistake, I know) and am now looking to do computer science. As I can't change my course choice the only options I know of to apply to computer science would be to take a year out and apply again next year, does anyone have any ideas on alternative things to do? If a gap year is the only way, is there any possibility of spending the year taking further qualifications to aid my application next year?
:confused:

You could consider UCAS Extra :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
You could consider UCAS Extra :smile:

I spoke to my head of sixth form about ucas extra, how does it work for people who want to change their courses as ideally I'd prefer to not take a year out
I've done the same thing, studying Physics, Maths and English Language, I chose English Language and want to change my mind, why don't you try emailing or ringing the Universities you've applied for and see if they can offer you anything on the course you want?

Which Physics are you doing, we're doing Edexcel and it's hard, though I enjoy it.
Original post by dam9
I spoke to my head of sixth form about ucas extra, how does it work for people who want to change their courses as ideally I'd prefer to not take a year out

You could email the universities you're interested in and ask if they'd accept a new personal statement :smile: or as above, if you're interested in any of the universities that you've applied for, and you meet the entry requirements, you could email asking if you could swap course (which is what I did last year) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Think these may be the best options, only problem would be that I don't think any of the universities I applied to for physio are very well ranked in the computer science field, I'd prefer to apply to different universities ideally
Original post by dam9
Think these may be the best options, only problem would be that I don't think any of the universities I applied to for physio are very well ranked in the computer science field, I'd prefer to apply to different universities ideally

In that case you have the options of (in chronological order) Extra, Clearing, reapplying next year. The latter may well be preferable.
Don't do a gap year. I'm on a gap year and I'm regretting the fact that is just a waste of a year. Was looking to work but cant find a decent job. Even applied to some part time courses to pass time but I was let down by all of them.
If you changed your mind that suddenly about physio then are you 100% sure you want to do comp sci? Just thinking, its totally worth a gap year working if you aren't completely sure. Also, its better to take a year out and then go somewhere you love with some extra money in your pocket! I'm saying this from experience... I did biomed and now Im going to do physiotherapy, I'm currently on a gap year working full time and it goes really quickly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending